Re: [S-R] Pronunciation of a surname

  • Elaine Summerhill
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
      On my father's baptisimal certificate, it says Malyar.  However, I cannot find any record of my grandfather, his father, at all.  I know that he came from Nagy Csongova (Borzhav'ske) and married my grandmother, who is Rusyn and lived just down the road in Veliki Komyatu. Grandmom told me that we're Rusyn and her church missile is written in Rusyn (at least, that's what it says on the cover).

      I'm not really looking for my paternal grandparents in Stupava. I just saw the name and was curious.  In Stupava, I'm researching the surname Slezak as Andreas Slezak is my 3rd great grandfather.

      BTW, I stumbled across a site called "My Heritage".  It is another site for building family trees.  In poking around on it, I found some cousins and family information for my grandfather Struhar's brothers, cousins, etc.  I've been sorta corresponding with a cousin, who speaks only Slovak.  I speak very, very little Slovak but found a pretty good (I hope) online translator. She seems to understand what I'm trying to say.  Either than or she is just too polite to say otherwise.  I told her of my dream to travel to Zohor and she told me that I would be welcomed.  That trip is too far off in the distance, but it really made me feel warm & fuzzy inside.  :-)

      If you haven't heard of My Heritage, you may want to check it out.  You never know.

      Elaine in NM

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
        Ladislav,
        Yes, Majer is German in origin as many Germans settled in Slovakia throughout history, but a common name in Slovakia. See all the Majer and Majerova in the census and phone records.

        I know of two specific family occurences of the transition from Hungarian spelling of Magyer to current Majer in Slovakia.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

        > The slovak transcription of this name would be Mader - in 1995 there were 166 persons in Slovakia with this surname. Mostly in Stupava (50), Bratislava, ...
        >
        > http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=MAder&s=exact&c=ef97&lang=en&d=priezviska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
        >
        > The way to a Mayer or Majer is quite far - in spoken form - and they sound to german.
        >

        > Ladislav

      • William
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
          When I visited Jablonov in Spis to find where my GF was born I was taken to what remains of a "Majer" which is a group of one-story homes, all connected. There were only a few left of where my GF was born. Most of them were torn down in the 1970's/80's because they were uninhabitable. I was given some photos taken in the early 80's on which someone had written "Majer" and that is how the local people referred to them.
          Just another bit of trivia.
          Bill

          > Ladislav,
          > Yes, Majer is German in origin as many Germans settled in Slovakia throughout history, but a common name in Slovakia. See all the Majer and Majerova in the census and phone records.
          >
          > I know of two specific family occurences of the transition from Hungarian spelling of Magyer to current Majer in Slovakia.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The slovak transcription of this name would be Mader - in 1995 there were 166 persons in Slovakia with this surname. Mostly in Stupava (50), Bratislava, ...
          > >
          > > http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=MAder&s=exact&c=ef97&lang=en&d=priezviska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
          > >
          > > The way to a Mayer or Majer is quite far - in spoken form - and they sound to german.
          > >

          > > Ladislav

        • William
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011