Re: [S-R] Civil Records for Galanta district?

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2011
      I suppose there are a variety of options, such as contacting the
      church yourself and asking about a baptismal record, or trying to get
      a civil record yourself. But as for easiest and most efficient: hire a
      knowledgeable local researcher to get the civil birth record for you;
      bonus if they can also extract or get a digital photo of the baptismal
      record.

      I recently hired someone to get a civil birth record for me; I was
      looking for the child's father's origin. The civil record didn't give
      that info, unfortunately. But since the birth record gave me an exact
      date of birth (which I didn't have before), I asked the researcher to
      call the parish and ask if they would look up the baptismal record and
      just see if it noted the father's town of origin. I was trying to make
      it very easy, afraid they might balk if they perceived a request to be
      a hassle. It worked; they did the quick look-up, and the record had
      the info I wanted. Moral of the story: it can be so much easier with a
      good researcher right there.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...