Re: [S-R] Pronunciation of a surname

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
      Janet,
      So there is actually no "G" sound at all in the word Magyar. Ma diu ar?
      Would that be close?
      Reen

    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
        Yes, the G is not pronounced as such. But it has only two syllables-mahd-jar
        comes closest.

        Janet

        So there is actually no "G" sound at all in the word Magyar. Ma diu ar?
        Would that be close?
        Reen

      • Ladislav Rosival
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
          One help from wikipedia:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hu-magyar_nyelv.ogg

          it is the pronounciation for 2 words "magyar neylv" = hungarian language.

          In hungarian is also "a" pronounced a little bit differently from slavic languages, or german.

          Ladislav

          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
            It sure looks like a surname to me but it also looks like I misspelled it. The name should have been written, MAGYER.

            https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14323-22376-41%3Fcc%3D1554443%26wc%3D10599568%c2%a0 (page 500, 31 Oct entry, just above November heading).

            Elaine

            >________________________________
            >

            >Magyar is the Hungarian word for Hungarian, referring both to its people and
            >its language. The "gy" is a Hungarian letter which is pronounced like [dj],
            >the sound you hear in the French word adieu. Most English-speaking people
            >tend to pronounce it MAG-yar, which of course is not quite correct.
            >

            >Janet

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
              Elaine,
              Quite a different story. This one may be a bit more difficult. Remember that the writer is writing in the Hungarian alphabet and trying to express how the locals pronounce their name. So the name is probably just like Mayer in "Oscar Mayer". Spelled Majer in Slovak, but Mayer in German. Though, in strict Hungarian of the time it would be more like Mazher. With a very light touch in the zh part.

              Strange they didn't end up Mayer or Meyer in the U.S.,instead of Miller.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Summerhill <jato791@...> wrote:

              > It sure looks like a surname to me but it also looks like I misspelled it. The name should have been written, MAGYER.
              >
              > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14323-22376-41%3Fcc%3D1554443%26wc%3D10599568%c3%af%c2%bf%c2%bd (page 500, 31 Oct entry, just above November heading).
              >

              > Elaine
              >

              > >________________________________
              > >

              > >Magyar is the Hungarian word for Hungarian, referring both to its people and
              > >its language. The "gy" is a Hungarian letter which is pronounced like [dj],
              > >the sound you hear in the French word adieu. Most English-speaking people
              > >tend to pronounce it MAG-yar, which of course is not quite correct.
              > >

              > >Janet

            • Ladislav Rosival
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                The slovak transcription of this name would be Mader - in 1995 there were 166 persons in Slovakia with this surname. Mostly in Stupava (50), Bratislava, ...

                http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=MAder&s=exact&c=ef97&lang=en&d=priezviska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

                The way to a Mayer or Majer is quite far - in spoken form - and they sound to german.

                Ladislav

                Quite a different story. This one may be a bit more difficult. Remember that the writer is writing in the Hungarian alphabet and trying to express how the locals pronounce their name. So the name is probably just like Mayer in "Oscar Mayer". Spelled Majer in Slovak, but Mayer in German. Though, in strict Hungarian of the time it would be more like Mazher. With a very light touch in the zh part.

                Strange they didn't end up Mayer or Meyer in the U.S.,instead of Miller.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Summerhill <jato791@...> wrote:

                > It sure looks like a surname to me but it also looks like I misspelled it. The name should have been written, MAGYER.
                >
                > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.3.1/TH-1-14323-22376-41%3Fcc%3D1554443%26wc%3D10599568%c3%af%c2%bf%c2%bd (page 500, 31 Oct entry, just above November heading).
                >

                > Elaine
                >

                > >________________________________
                > >

                > >Magyar is the Hungarian word for Hungarian, referring both to its people and
                > >its language. The "gy" is a Hungarian letter which is pronounced like [dj],
                > >the sound you hear in the French word adieu. Most English-speaking people
                > >tend to pronounce it MAG-yar, which of course is not quite correct.
                > >

                > >Janet

              • Elaine Summerhill
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                  On my father's baptisimal certificate, it says Malyar.  However, I cannot find any record of my grandfather, his father, at all.  I know that he came from Nagy Csongova (Borzhav'ske) and married my grandmother, who is Rusyn and lived just down the road in Veliki Komyatu. Grandmom told me that we're Rusyn and her church missile is written in Rusyn (at least, that's what it says on the cover).

                  I'm not really looking for my paternal grandparents in Stupava. I just saw the name and was curious.  In Stupava, I'm researching the surname Slezak as Andreas Slezak is my 3rd great grandfather.

                  BTW, I stumbled across a site called "My Heritage".  It is another site for building family trees.  In poking around on it, I found some cousins and family information for my grandfather Struhar's brothers, cousins, etc.  I've been sorta corresponding with a cousin, who speaks only Slovak.  I speak very, very little Slovak but found a pretty good (I hope) online translator. She seems to understand what I'm trying to say.  Either than or she is just too polite to say otherwise.  I told her of my dream to travel to Zohor and she told me that I would be welcomed.  That trip is too far off in the distance, but it really made me feel warm & fuzzy inside.  :-)

                  If you haven't heard of My Heritage, you may want to check it out.  You never know.

                  Elaine in NM

                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 5, 2011
                    Ladislav,
                    Yes, Majer is German in origin as many Germans settled in Slovakia throughout history, but a common name in Slovakia. See all the Majer and Majerova in the census and phone records.

                    I know of two specific family occurences of the transition from Hungarian spelling of Magyer to current Majer in Slovakia.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@...> wrote:

                    > The slovak transcription of this name would be Mader - in 1995 there were 166 persons in Slovakia with this surname. Mostly in Stupava (50), Bratislava, ...
                    >
                    > http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=MAder&s=exact&c=ef97&lang=en&d=priezviska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
                    >
                    > The way to a Mayer or Majer is quite far - in spoken form - and they sound to german.
                    >

                    > Ladislav

                  • William
                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
                      When I visited Jablonov in Spis to find where my GF was born I was taken to what remains of a "Majer" which is a group of one-story homes, all connected. There were only a few left of where my GF was born. Most of them were torn down in the 1970's/80's because they were uninhabitable. I was given some photos taken in the early 80's on which someone had written "Majer" and that is how the local people referred to them.
                      Just another bit of trivia.
                      Bill

                      > Ladislav,
                      > Yes, Majer is German in origin as many Germans settled in Slovakia throughout history, but a common name in Slovakia. See all the Majer and Majerova in the census and phone records.
                      >
                      > I know of two specific family occurences of the transition from Hungarian spelling of Magyer to current Majer in Slovakia.
                      >
                      > Curt B.
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ladislav Rosival" <lacoros@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > The slovak transcription of this name would be Mader - in 1995 there were 166 persons in Slovakia with this surname. Mostly in Stupava (50), Bratislava, ...
                      > >
                      > > http://slovniky.korpus.sk/?w=MAder&s=exact&c=ef97&lang=en&d=priezviska&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
                      > >
                      > > The way to a Mayer or Majer is quite far - in spoken form - and they sound to german.
                      > >

                      > > Ladislav

                    • William
                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011