Re: [S-R] Slovak/Rusyn ancestors

  • Raularian
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2011
      Thank you very much!
      I will check.
      Best regards,
      Raul

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > Thank you for sharing. It is a very interesting story and you have done a very good job.
      >
      > Matovce?
      >
      > authors: Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Maťovce (Giraltovce), (Main Author)
      > format: Manuscript/On Film
      > language: Latin, Hungarian, Ukrainian
      > publications: Salt Lake City, Utah : Mikrofilmy boli zhotovené Genealogickou spoločnosťou štátu Utah, 1993
      > physical: na 2 mikrofilmovaných kotučoch, 35 mm.

      > Notes
      > Pôvodné dokumenty boli mikrofilmované v Štátnom oblastnom archíve v Levoči.
      >
      > Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Maťovce, Slovakia, formerly Mátévágás, Sáros, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
      >
      > Štátny Oblastnyʹ Archív v Prešove, zv. 648-649.
      >
      > Subjects
      > a.. Slovakia, Michalovce, Maťovské Vojkovce - Church records
      > b.. Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Veľké Kapušany, Maťovce - Church records
      > a.. Hungary, Sáros, Mátévágás - Church records
      >

      > Film Notes
      > Note Location Film
      > Inv. č. 648 Manželstvá 1813-1832 -- Úmrtia 1813-1832 -- Krsty 1813-1833 FHL INTL Film 1792639 Item 6
      > Inv. č. 649 Krsty 1834-1874 -- Manželstvá 1834-1876 -- Úmrtia 1834-1877
      >

      > Sam

    • John
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 6, 2011
        A clue to finding other villages. They are usually within TWO villages distance or one day's walk -- round trip.

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 10, 2011
          Thank you for your advice!
          Unfortunately I could not find the village where Susana Merva was born.
          Maybe someone will be able to interpret the name of the village?
          Please look at the marriage of Andreas Pavlik and Susana Merva which took place on September 15, 1861, in Felso-Orlich:
          https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12599-66359-30%3Fcc%3D1554443%26wc%3D10598990

          I was able to interpret the following: Andreas Pavlik, agricola, from Felso-Orlich, Greek-Catholic, coelebs, 21 years old;
          and Susana Merva, whose place of birth I am looking for, "famula Domini provisoris Felso-Orlichensis", and in the next column, "??? ?? puella origine ? (Koissovensi?) de praesenti famula Dominalis Felso-Orlichensis", Greek-Catholic, virgo, 21 years old.
          The most important word here is that "Koissovensi", which may also be "Poissovensi" or something else.
          If anyone has an opinion on that, please let me know.
          Raul

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 10, 2011
            >>> I was able to interpret the following: Andreas Pavlik, agricola, from Felso-Orlich, Greek-Catholic, coelebs, 21 years old; and Susana Merva, whose place of birth I am looking for, "famula Domini provisoris Felso-Orlichensis", and in the next column, "??? ?? puella origine ? (Koissovensi?) de praesenti famula Dominalis Felso-Orlichensis", Greek-Catholic, virgo, 21 years old.
            The most important word here is that "Koissovensi", which may also be "Poissovensi" or something else. <<<

            Using the Cisrik web site at http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kojsov_Gelnica_KI_Szepes_Spis.html
            we have:

            OLD NAMES of the village(town):
            1773 Kojso, Koischo, Kojskow [!], 1786 Kojschó, 1808 Koissó, Koischdorf, Koyssow, 1863–1913 Kojsó, 1920 Kojšov, Kolšov, 1927– Kojšov

            and we find the MERVA surname in his list.

            Kojsov is northwest of Kosice and 4 km southwest of Velky Folkmar.

            LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kojšov, Slovakia, formerly known as Kojsó, Szepes, Hungary.
          • Samuel Ontko
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 10, 2011
              Good Job John, I think you hit the nail on the head.

              I would also think that one or both of the witnesses are from Kojov as well.

              That’s my neck of the woods but I haven’t look at the Greek Catholic records. A few Mrva in the Roman Catholic records in Jaklovce as well as mixed marriages with Kojso residents.

              Sam

              >>> I was able to interpret the following: Andreas Pavlik, agricola, from Felso-Orlich, Greek-Catholic, coelebs, 21 years old; and Susana Merva, whose place of birth I am looking for, "famula Domini provisoris Felso-Orlichensis", and in the next column, "??? ?? puella origine ? (Koissovensi?) de praesenti famula Dominalis Felso-Orlichensis", Greek-Catholic, virgo, 21 years old.
              The most important word here is that "Koissovensi", which may also be "Poissovensi" or something else. <<<

              Using the Cisrik web site at http://www.cisarik.com/0_Kojsov_Gelnica_KI_Szepes_Spis.html
              we have:

              OLD NAMES of the village(town):
              1773 Kojso, Koischo, Kojskow [!], 1786 Kojschó, 1808 Koissó, Koischdorf, Koyssow, 1863–1913 Kojsó, 1920 Kojšov, Kolšov, 1927– Kojšov

              and we find the MERVA surname in his list.

              Kojsov is northwest of Kosice and 4 km southwest of Velky Folkmar.

              LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Kojšov, Slovakia, formerly known as Kojsó, Szepes, Hungary.

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 10, 2011
                R.

                The place name pretty clearly reads "origine Koissoviensis". This is a Latin form for a village which at the time of this register the Hungarian name was Koisso, but today the Slovak name is Kojs~ov. It is near Kosice (whose Latin name was Cassovia).

                Curt B.

                This is likely the village of Kojsov

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 11, 2011
                  Mistery solved!
                  Thank you very much, John! Also, thanks to Sam and Curt for their support!
                  Indeed, it must be Kojsov (Kojso). My mistake was that I looked only at the surrounding villages of Vysny Orlik (Felso-Orlich) and then in Saros County and there was no match.
                  However, I tried to see the online records for the Greek-Catholic church (parish registers) in Kojsov, but I did not find them. It looks like only the records from Presov region are available online. Is that correct?
                  In that case, getting to the microfilms at LDS would be very difficult, as I live in Romania.
                  Thanks again!
                  Raul

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 11, 2011
                    >>> However, I tried to see the online records for the Greek-Catholic church (parish registers) in Kojsov, but I did not find them. It looks like only the records from Presov region are available online. Is that correct? <<<

                    Pretty much the case.

                    >>> In that case, getting to the microfilms at LDS would be very difficult, as I live in Romania. <<<

                    Do you live anywhere near Satu Mare?
                  • Raularian
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 11, 2011
                      I live in Cluj-Napoca. It is not very far away from Satu Mare, about 3 hours drive.
                      I think you mean that I am not very far away from Slovakia, and indeed Kosice area would be around 8 hours drive from Cluj-Napoca.
                      One day I will make that trip!
                      Raul

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 11, 2011
                        >>> I live in Cluj-Napoca. It is not very far away from Satu Mare, about 3 hours drive. I think you mean that I am not very far away from Slovakia, and indeed Kosice area would be around 8 hours drive from Cluj-Napoca. <<<

                        No, there was a hidden meaning to my query.

                        The Druhopisy (bishop's copy) of the Senne, Ung Megye, church records is located in Satu Mare and were reseached for me by Paul Dancu. The LDS copy (film) has missing pages. I have unresolved questions because of the missing pages.

                        Perhaps we could have an exchange of labour.
                      • Raularian
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                          Hello, everyone!
                          Thanks to you, especially John, Curt and Sam, I was able to make some progress regarding my Slovak/Rusyn ancestors.
                          Now the list of surnames that I am interested in looks like this:
                          1. Bajczura (Bajcura, Baitura) - possibly from Matevagas (Matovce);
                          2. Pavlik (Paulik) - from Also-Orlich (Nizny Orlik);
                          3. Marusin (Maruszin) - from Also-Orlich (Nizny Orlik);
                          4. Kuczka (Kucka, Cutca) - from Krive, near Kruzlov;
                          5. Soltesz (Soltys) - from Krive or surroundings;
                          6. Merva (Mrva) - from Kojso (Kojsov);
                          7. Elizser (Elischer) - from Kojso (Kojsov);
                          8. Mackovjak (Mackovjat) - from Kojso (Kojsov);
                          9. Pincsak - from Kojso (Kojsov).
                          You may see that I have made some progress regarding my family tree in Kojsov, although there is a missing file exactly for the births in 1811, when both my ancestors (Merva and Elizser) were probably born.
                          However, there is still some help that I would need from you regarding Bajczura family.
                          As I said in my first message, a year ago, at the marriage of Bajczura Ioan and Kuczka Anna in 1861, in Pecica, it is written that Bajczura's place of birth is something like "Malovce/Matovce", Saros County, and I could not find the village. Sam pointed out (see below) that Matovce does exist. I checked several times the register of births of Matovce (Matevagas) for the period 1830s-1840s (as Bajczura Ioan was born around 1840) and I found no Bajczura born during this period (not even in the surrounding villages, belonging to the parish church in Matovce). I concluded that the name of the village was wrongly written by the Romanian priest who conducted the marriage.
                          However, I finally found the death of Bajczura Ioan in Pecica register of deaths in 1906, and it came out as a surprise that there was information regarding his parents - Bajczura Basilio and Bacsa Maria - and his place of birth - Matevagas, Saros County.
                          I didn't know what to think of that. I checked again the Matevagas (Matovce) births with no results. Then I tried the 1869 census of Matevagas (Matovce) (although my ancestor was already in Pecica at that time) and I did find something: one Bajczura family.
                          Please take a look at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28476-17717-97?cc=1986782&wc=MMRC-CZ6:n2130332392
                          Image 5 of 51
                          Considering the birth years of the first two members of the family, they could be the parents of Bajczura Ioan (although the first name of the father apparently does not match). I would like to ask you if you can understand the first name of the first member - is it Janos? Or something else? Even more important is the birth place of each one. The first Bajczura (like most members of the family) seems to be born in Matevagas. However, his wife, Maria, is born somewhere else. I only understand the name of the county, below, Zemplen. Can you please help me with the name of that village?
                          Is it just a theory, but I have nothing better at this time, that the Bajczuras got married and had children in the wife's village, then came back to Matevagas (Matovce), the husband's village, when the children were still young. When the children grew up and emigrated, they declared Matevagas (Matovce) as their place of birth. I can't find any other explanation, for the moment.
                          Thank you very much for your help!

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                            First name on Census looks like Fedor, not sure what the equivalents would be.

                            Wife’s village looks like Remenye, current day Remeniny. Was Saris but was it Zemplin too?

                            Sam

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                              I just met some of the Merva family living in the USA.

                              Sam

                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                                >>> First name on Census looks like Fedor, not sure what the equivalents would be.
                                >
                                > Wife’s village looks like Remenye, current day Remeniny. Was Saris but was it Zemplin too? <<<

                                Good possibility! I would have sworn the fist letters were Sz. The 1869 Hungarian Census puts Remeniny in Zemplen Megye. The other village is Szobos/Sobos, just north of Matovce.

                                I couldn`t figure out the other short village name for the births in 1865 and 1868.

                                A mildly interesting sidelight is that the surname exists in Mikova, the birthplace of the parents of Andy Warhol.

                                Stumped but not giving up . . .
                              • Nick Kerpchar
                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                                  Raularian and Sam,
                                  I have a Rusyn grandfather who's middle name was Feodor (perhaps Fedor) and all his Rusyn friends called
                                  him "Freddy."  Perhaps Fedor/Feodor is equivalent of Fredrich.  This is a guess on my part.
                                  Nick

                                  ________________________________
> [...]

                                  > physical: na 2 mikrofilmovaných kotuÄoch, 35 mm.

                                  > Notes
                                  > Pôvodné dokumenty boli mikrofilmované v Å tátnom oblastnom archíve v LevoÄi.
                                  >
                                  > Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Maťovce, Slovakia, formerly Mátévágás, Sáros, Hungary. Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
                                  >
                                  > Štátny Oblastnyʹ Archív v Prešove, zv. 648-649.
                                  >
                                  > Subjects
                                  > a.. Slovakia, Michalovce, Maťovské Vojkovce - Church records
                                  > b.. Czechoslovakia, Slovensko, Veľké Kapušany, Maťovce - Church records
                                  > a.. Hungary, Sáros, Mátévágás - Church records
                                  >

                                  > Film Notes
                                  > Note Location Film
                                  > Inv. Ä. 648 Manželstvá 1813-1832 -- Ãmrtia 1813-1832 -- Krsty 1813-1833 FHL INTL Film 1792639 Item 6
                                  > Inv. Ä. 649 Krsty 1834-1874 -- Manželstvá 1834-1876 -- Ãmrtia 1834-1877

                                • Corinne C. Musto
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                                    Hello,

                                    Fedor in Rusyn is Theodore. Some who immigrated to America with the given name Fedor went with 'Frank'.

                                    Corinne

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
                                      Thanks Corinne.
                                      Nick

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Oct 30, 2012
                                        Thank you all once again, especially Sam, John, Curt, Nick and Corinne, for the clues you provided.
                                        I will start checking on Remenye/Remeniny to see if my theory has any grounds. The village is quite close to Matovce and looks like a perfect match. As for Fedor, it does look like that indeed. However, I have some doubts because all the other (first) names (not just in the case of this family) are Magyarized, they sound 'Hungarian"-like and Fedor seems to be an exception.
                                        Best regards,
                                        Raul