Civil Records for Galanta district?

  • Peter M
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2011
      Hello all,

      I've had a very successful time with the church records working from 1777 with about 4 possible branches of the family, but now there is a gap from 1896 to 1920 where church records end and family records are now non-existent.

      Specifically I need to find my Grandfather's birth record.

      What is the most efficient and easiest method of getting a copy of this?

      He (MARAFKO Karoly) was born in 1896 Hidas Kert - now Mostova, a town in the Galanta district.

      I have his son's (my fathers birth certificate and baptismal certificate) only. There is no other paper trail.

      Hope you can help!

      Peter
    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2011
        I suppose there are a variety of options, such as contacting the
        church yourself and asking about a baptismal record, or trying to get
        a civil record yourself. But as for easiest and most efficient: hire a
        knowledgeable local researcher to get the civil birth record for you;
        bonus if they can also extract or get a digital photo of the baptismal
        record.

        I recently hired someone to get a civil birth record for me; I was
        looking for the child's father's origin. The civil record didn't give
        that info, unfortunately. But since the birth record gave me an exact
        date of birth (which I didn't have before), I asked the researcher to
        call the parish and ask if they would look up the baptismal record and
        just see if it noted the father's town of origin. I was trying to make
        it very easy, afraid they might balk if they perceived a request to be
        a hassle. It worked; they did the quick look-up, and the record had
        the info I wanted. Moral of the story: it can be so much easier with a
        good researcher right there.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...