Re: [S-R] Re: help with record please

  • htcstech
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 4, 2011
      Regarding Social Status for Latin records:

      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/social_status.htm

      That cleared up a few questions for me.

      Peter

      On 5 August 2011 02:25, Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Thanks to all of you for your assistance on the Hungarian record. A few
      > more related questions if I may:
      >
      > The record we just read was for Pal, of Timko, alias Ivanyov Pal and
      > Suszter Maria on image 23 of 94.
      >
      > I believe an earlier entry relates to those same parents on image 18 of 94,
      > entry on right side for something June, a Joanes, of Ivanyov Pal and was
      > looks like Sustex Maxis. The "Maxis" thing has also just been showing up in
      > the past few images. I've never seen an x for an r or what looks like an s
      > for an a, so I was a bit confused. Is this just a specific hand for Maria?
      > That record may be found at:
      >
      > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.3.1/TH-266-11022-58151-30%3Fcc%3D1554443%26wc%3D10598381
      >
      > Also I am unable to tell what day in June the birth and baptism took place.
      > It looks like a 17, but since there is a 12 after it, that probably isn't
      > the case.
      >
      > Then if you go down on that page to 5 August, there is another Max'es. Is
      > this also Maria? If not, what is it? And the fathers name--is that Lesov?
      > I've seen this name a couple of times, with what appears to be one s and
      > also with what may be a double s.
      >
      > Last question: Did I understand someone to say that Col. means they owned
      > and farmed land?
      >
      > Thanks again! You are an invaluable teaching crew.
      >
      > Peg

    • Karen C
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 8, 2011
        Hello Peg,  We have many experts on this list that will probably be able to help you more and I, but I looked on family search and found the Hungarian language translation which included a number of the words in these headings.

        https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Hungary_Genealogical_Word_List

        Hope this is of some assistance.

        Karen

        >________________________________

      • John Venham
        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 8, 2011
          Hope this helps. The entire record is in Hungarian.

          Simko -- it looks like a surname. The second word -maske/ - appears truncated, as if to be continued, but it is not. Regardless, the beginning - mas - means 'other' , with the next -ke- added, it suggests "another way" "another time" "otherwise"... because it is unique for this entry, it might mean that the father's surname is an alternate as Simko / Ivanyov ; or perhaps an illegitimate birth, with the real father named Simko.

          Hopefully someone else can help more.

          John

          "The Journey is the Reward"

          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 8, 2011
            Hello John,

            That's a valuable interpretation - ie that 'maske(p) - maskep could mean
            other father instead of an alias, however you would have the word
            'torvenytelen' meaning illegal somewhere in that record.

            Back to Latin, I also had two interesting entries in death records with the
            word 'ignatu' under the name of the deceased children. The 'parent' did not
            have the same surname as the dead. I can only presume that this parent was
            caretaking these children as their own biological parents died beforehand.

            Peter

            On 9 August 2011 11:49, John Venham <jevenham@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hope this helps. The entire record is in Hungarian.
            >
            > Simko -- it looks like a surname. The second word -maske/ - appears
            > truncated, as if to be continued, but it is not. Regardless, the beginning -
            > mas - means 'other' , with the next -ke- added, it suggests "another way"
            > "another time" "otherwise"... because it is unique for this entry, it might
            > mean that the father's surname is an alternate as Simko / Ivanyov ; or
            > perhaps an illegitimate birth, with the real father named Simko.
            >
            > Hopefully someone else can help more.
            >
            > John
            >
            > "The Journey is the Reward"

          • deeellessbee
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 21, 2011
              Hi all. I think I may have stumbled upon the marriage record of my g'g'g'grandparents. From the death certificate of their son, I have his name as John Guman, and her name looks to be Martha Semon (the certificate is not entirely clear). This on-line marriage record happened to catch my eye, but I have enough trouble with these records when they are clear and the writing is good. This one is difficult for me so I am asking for assistance.

              Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books 1592-1910, Greek Catholic, Presov, Miklusovce, image 270, line 6.

              It looks like Janos Guman and Martha Szeman. Any confirmation and any further interpretation would be most welcome! Thank you!

              P.S. I see the entry below this one is for a Barbara Szeman - I'm not seeing any kind of parents' names that may show these two women are related, but again, if anyone sees something, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking the second column with names are witnesses, not parents, correct? The two women are both from Miklosvagas, I believe.

              Thanks!
              Debbie
            • deeellessbee
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 25, 2011
                Anybody??

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                > Hi all. I think I may have stumbled upon the marriage record of my g'g'g'grandparents. From the death certificate of their son, I have his name as John Guman, and her name looks to be Martha Semon (the certificate is not entirely clear). This on-line marriage record happened to catch my eye, but I have enough trouble with these records when they are clear and the writing is good. This one is difficult for me so I am asking for assistance.
                >
                > Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books 1592-1910, Greek Catholic, Presov, Miklusovce, image 270, line 6.
                >
                > It looks like Janos Guman and Martha Szeman. Any confirmation and any further interpretation would be most welcome! Thank you!
                >
                > P.S. I see the entry below this one is for a Barbara Szeman - I'm not seeing any kind of parents' names that may show these two women are related, but again, if anyone sees something, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking the second column with names are witnesses, not parents, correct? The two women are both from Miklosvagas, I believe.
                >
                > Thanks!
                > Debbie

              • Samuel Ontko
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 25, 2011
                  Debbie

                  I agree with the couples names.

                  You are correct. No parents names and in this case the ages are omitted.

                  Sam

                  > Hi all. I think I may have stumbled upon the marriage record of my g'g'g'grandparents. From the death certificate of their son, I have his name as John Guman, and her name looks to be Martha Semon (the certificate is not entirely clear). This on-line marriage record happened to catch my eye, but I have enough trouble with these records when they are clear and the writing is good. This one is difficult for me so I am asking for assistance.
                  >
                  > Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books 1592-1910, Greek Catholic, Presov, Miklusovce, image 270, line 6.
                  >
                  > It looks like Janos Guman and Martha Szeman. Any confirmation and any further interpretation would be most welcome! Thank you!
                  >
                  > P.S. I see the entry below this one is for a Barbara Szeman - I'm not seeing any kind of parents' names that may show these two women are related, but again, if anyone sees something, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking the second column with names are witnesses, not parents, correct? The two women are both from Miklosvagas, I believe.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Debbie

                • deeellessbee
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 26, 2011
                    Thank you Sam. I appreciate the help. Too bad this record didn't have ages or names of parents - that would have been a huge help. If you - or anyone else - can help a little further, I would appreciate it. For instance, what is the date? It looks like November, but I can't figure out the number and wonder if it's some kind of abbreviation. Secondly, the column after the names - what does that say? I'm thinking it's the towns the couple comes from - the bottom line looks like an abbreviation for Miklosvagas, but I can't make out the top two lines/words. And the column with the names of the witnesses - would it be two men? The names look like Mihaly Harelfr---?? and Janos Adzima. And lastly, the column after the witnesses with "ara" in it - what does that mean?

                    Thank you for any further help!
                    Debbie

                    P.S. I forgot to mention in my orginal post that the records were under baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1785 - 1856. Thanks!

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@...> wrote:

                    > Debbie
                    >
                    > I agree with the couples names.
                    >
                    > You are correct. No parents names and in this case the ages are omitted.
                    >
                    > Sam

                  • deeellessbee
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 28, 2011
                      Any further help please? Thank you!

                      Debbie

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "deeellessbee" <deeellessbee@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you Sam. I appreciate the help. Too bad this record didn't have ages or names of parents - that would have been a huge help. If you - or anyone else - can help a little further, I would appreciate it. For instance, what is the date? It looks like November, but I can't figure out the number and wonder if it's some kind of abbreviation. Secondly, the column after the names - what does that say? I'm thinking it's the towns the couple comes from - the bottom line looks like an abbreviation for Miklosvagas, but I can't make out the top two lines/words. And the column with the names of the witnesses - would it be two men? The names look like Mihaly Harelfr---?? and Janos Adzima. And lastly, the column after the witnesses with "ara" in it - what does that mean?
                      >
                      > Thank you for any further help!
                      > Debbie
                      >
                      > P.S. I forgot to mention in my orginal post that the records were under baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1785 - 1856. Thanks!
                      >

                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Debbie
                      > >
                      > > I agree with the couples names.
                      > >
                      > > You are correct. No parents names and in this case the ages are omitted.
                      > >
                      > > Sam

                    • htcstech
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 28, 2011
                        Hi Debbie,
                        I've picked out a few words and some educated guesses. I can read
                        Hungarian, but there are better people in this group who can correct what
                        I've interpreted. Also I have no experience with GK or EK entries.

                        The 4th Column 'Nemtelen gazda' means an ignoble (not of the nobility) host
                        - independent, not a servant. I would say the abbreviation below stands for
                        the place of residence.
                        The 5th Column is blank - no age recorded.
                        The 6th column appears to be 'Tanuk (witness), Surname and Christian name
                        and place of residence.' Haralszor Mihaly and a name I can't work out.
                        (Belets Andras and Kanya Janos were the witnesses of Guman Georgius just
                        above.
                        The heading of the next column is 'A osszes ado egyhazi szemelly' that I
                        presume means 'The community church (leader)' who is Lijesay Antal - which
                        would be the officiating priest. 'ara' as shown would mean - 'for that'.
                        The next columns are about legality and exceptions. The marriage was legal.
                        The marriage took place in November, between the 10th and 20th. I would say
                        that there were 3 marriages on the 10th.
                        George and Janos Guman married on the same day.

                        Hope that helps.

                        Can someone else check?

                        Link:
                        https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12884-95565-35?cc=1554443&wc=12755593

                        Peter

                      • lacoros@gmail.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 28, 2011
                          From: htcstech <htcstech@...>
                          Sender: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 15:51:10
                          To: <SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com>
                          Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: help with record please

> [...]

                          > column after the names - what does that say? I'm thinking it's the towns
                          > the couple comes from - the bottom line looks like an abbreviation for
                          > Miklosvagas, but I can't make out the top two lines/words. And the column
                          > with the names of the witnesses - would it be two men? The names look like
                          > Mihaly Harelfr---?? and Janos Adzima. And lastly, the column after the
                          > witnesses with "ara" in it - what does that mean?
                          > >
                          > > Thank you for any further help!
                          > > Debbie
                          > >
                          > > P.S. I forgot to mention in my orginal post that the records were under
                          > baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1785 - 1856. Thanks!
                          > >

                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Samuel Ontko" <smontko@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Debbie
                          > > >
                          > > > I agree with the couples names.
                          > > >
                          > > > You are correct. No parents names and in this case the ages are

                        • Ladislav Rosival
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 29, 2011
                            The heading of collumn 6 is

                            Az
                            Oszse (-)
                            Ado Egy (-)
                            Házi
                            Személly

                            Todays hungarian would say:
                            Az összeadó Egyházi Személly
                            Az osszeado Egyhazi Szemelly

                            Translation:
                            Church Person who served as registrar

                            The "ara" in this collumn would be "aza" - an abrevitation from "azonos"=the
                            same

                            The surnames of the witnesses I am not able to decipher, the given names
                            could be Mihaly and Janos.

                            I am quite sure that the marriage was held on November 10th.

                            Ladislav

                          • deeellessbee
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 30, 2011
                              Thank you Peter and Ladislav! I appreciate the help with deciphering that entry. I too thought the witnesses' given names were Mihaly and Janos, but wasn't sure if this was usual practice (2 male witnesses).

                              Can I infer anything by the fact that Gyorgy and Janos were married on the same day? Brothers, perhaps? Or just as likely just coincidence?

                              Gee, I sure wish the ages and parents were on this record - or on Gyorgy's, for that matter. After finding this record I realized this is about 18 to 20 years before the birth of my g'g'grandmother, and I thought this record was for her parents. Still possible of course, but now it has me less certain.

                              BTW, for some reason I didn't think we could put links in our posts. From now on I will link to anything I need help with. Thanks for putting that link in for me.

                              Debbie