Sheppton-Oneida PA Coal Mining History

  • pstagen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 8:11 AM
      I hope someone can help me fill in some info about the mining environment in this community. My grandparents lived in Oneida between 1892 and 1919.

      How did the mine owners entice my GF to come to PA from Trebisov to become a miner and have four of his adult sisters come along as well?

      What were the names of the coal mine firms whose operating mines were in Sheppton and/or Oneida between 1892 and 1919? (I know there was a mine collapse in 1963 and the original mine was between Oneida and Sheppton, but were there others?)

      Is there a repository that holds copies of the miner's licenses and might it be near Hazleton? I hope to visit the area next month.

      Did a Greek Catholic and/or Russian Orthodox church exist in either of these communities between 1892 and 1919? If yes, what were their names and who might have their records for the years indicated? (I wrote to the priest at St. Ann's in both Sheppton and Hazleton but did not receive a response from either. (Seven of my eight aunts/uncles were baptised GC in places between Hazleton and Minersville but born in Oneida. I am trying to understand why they went so far afield for baptism.)Also, how would my GM get to these places if they didn't have a car?

      I tried the Pottsville files to find birth records for my relatives but none were there. Would the individual GC churches still have copies of the baptismals?

      Thanks in advance for your assistance.
    • CasperVeth@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3 9:04 AM
        Try reaching out to the Eckley Miners Village. They should be able to
        provide some help. Here is their website:
        _http://www.eckleyminersvillagemuseum.com_ (http://www.eckleyminersvillagemuseum.com) My wife's
        family was from Hazleton-Conyngham and her gr-great grandfather was 11 years old
        picking slate for 7 cents per day! Being a miner was a tough life.

        Ray Veth, Middletown, NJ

        In a message dated 8/3/2011 11:12:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

      • martha.andras
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3 11:35 PM
          Hi! This will be a bit long!!

          I was born & raised in Hazleton, PA and come from a family of coal miners with ethnicities of Slovak, Welsh & German! I will try to give you a few more suggestions to help you in your searching. The website for Eckley Miners' Village is a good start. The phone number there is 570-636-1252. Its always best to call because they have had some funding cuts and are running mostly with volunteers. Its a great place and actually will have a Civil War encampment during the weekend of Aug 20 & 21. So if you are near here - its worth coming! They also have haunted lantern tours in October.

          My next suggestion is to contact a wonderful older man named Joe Michels. He lives in Hazleton and is the former city engineer. He has the most extensive collection of old mining maps than you could ever imagine. If you call him and explain what you want, he will tell you to give him about 2 weeks and then he will call you back with what he found for you. He's great and before retirement he was the Hazleton City Engineer. His phone number is 570-455-3504. Good luck with that and feel free to use my name - Marty Andras. You could also try the Hazleton Historical Society at 570-455-8576. Thy may be of help. Or - you could call our local public library at 570-454-2961. I recently borrowed a good book from the library. It is called "Growing Up in Coal Country" by Susan Campbell Bartoletti. One read through that book will show you how tough it was during those times. Lots of pictures and personal experiences. Also, history of some of the collapses. If you can't find it at your library, Amazon.com has it for $7.95.

          Now about the churches. That story is a bit more complicated. Many churches have banded together, others have closed for good. There are no Russian Orthodox that I know of. There is a Ukrainian Catholic Church in McAdoo and several Eastern Orthodox or Byzantine Catholic churches in the area. I could get you phone numbers of any of these if you need them. From what I've learned about searching old church records....sometimes the Priest will not allow lay people to handle the books because they are so old. Bring a digital camera - they usually don't mind you photographing the pages you need but do not allow photocopying. It can cause damage to the books. Even bring a pencil & paper to write down everything you see regarding your entry in an old church book.

          Hope these suggestions are helpful. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

          Martha Andras

        • gklodzen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6 4:15 PM
            You've received excellent suggestions. When I was researching the 1890-1930 west central, company owned coal mining town of Bitumen, PA (today, other then a Catholic mission church and it's cemetery, little else remains) the original Catholic church records had been transferred to the nearby town of Renovo where I was able to review and digitally photograph them. One suggestion, if the room is well lighted you don't need to use the camera's flash, and you'll help preserve these original gems for future researchers. In general, make an appointment first, handle these documents with great care, smile at and thank the truly helpful staff, and leave a small contribution for the church.

            Eugene Klodzen
            Researching KLADZAN, PIKULA, HLADKY and LABADOV