Re: [S-R] Re: Help finding immigration records Topolsky Karkos

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
      Jamie

       Bill might have equals on this forum, but there is certainly no one better for giving advice.

       I have a few things to humbly add as far as corroborating  data;...make note of house numbers and godparents/witnesses when they're available.

        When you notice handwriting changes which would indicate a new scribe be aware of personal idiosyncrasies of the new scribe. It's also good to understand basic prefixes on surnames like; a, ka, ova, ovic, ovych,etc....and the extra z or s that will follow the letter c in Magyar records, the point being even with the additional letters it is still your surname.

       And to paraphrase what Bill says; there are no short cuts, but the rewards are worth the effort.

       Good luck in your research...it will grow on you.

      respectfully

      Larry Kocik