Re: JALIANEJIS

  • John
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26 4:58 PM
      If Jalova proves to be correct, there is a road and railway track that heads southwest to Michalovce area and that could be the method of migration toward a more prosperous area.

      > What about the Latin form of "came from Jalova", which is in Zemplen Megye. What surname were you researching?

    • martha.andras
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 26 5:42 PM
        Hi Everyone,

        The record was in one of the old Death Record books at the church. No one is allowed to handle the books except the Deacon. The only reason I was able to get so close to them is because the Deacon is my husband's cousin! He won't allow photocopying. The entry is from December 1894 and it is a baptism for Andreas ANDRASOV who was born here in Hazleton, PA. His father was Michael ANDRASOV from SUCHE and his mother is only listed as Julianna. Her last name is not there but I know it to be ZACHARIAS from other records. The town in question is listed as her place of origin.

        Looking at the town name of JALIAENJIS (I transposed the A & E in my first post) was odd because other records I found on the Family History site show her to be from PAZDICS. (These were baptismal records of her other children in Slovakia and their immigration record to the US in 1893). But, I have never been able to find her own baptismal record or the marriage record for Julianna and Mihaly. This new mystery town could be the reason why because from what I understand, the marriage was usually recorded in the bride's parish. (Their first child Zsuzsana was born in 1875 so the marriage could have been around the same time.)

        Are JALOVA or JALIENSIS near PAZDICS or SUCHE? Maybe these towns will help us figure it out.

        The language the record is written in is an interesting thought. Some entries were in Latin, some entries in Slovak, some entries in English and some entries in Cyrillic.(the oldest ones) I can't honestly remember which language this particular entry was but I'm leaning towards Latin because it was definitely the Roman alphabet.

        Thanks for your help!

        Martha

        > If Jalova proves to be correct, there is a road and railway track that heads southwest to Michalovce area and that could be the method of migration toward a more prosperous area.

        > > What about the Latin form of "came from Jalova", which is in Zemplen Megye. What surname were you researching?

      • Lubos Brieda
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 26 6:10 PM
          About 60km from each other: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jalov%C3%A1,+Slovakia+to+Such%C3%A9,+Slovakia&saddr=Jalov%C3%A1,+Slovakia&daddr=Such%C3%A9,+Slovakia&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=48.765853,21.838064&sspn=0.157728,0.41851&geocode=FT1H7AIdpUdTASm7lO4pr1E5RzGwP5fG0fcABA%3BFZ0b6AId8DhNASmPQYPtuDI5RzHcD-KojwM14Q&z=11

          -- Lubos Brieda --
          Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 26 7:05 PM
            I think that we are on the right (railway) track. Suche and Pozdisovce are to the west of Michalovce and Jalova is northeast along the railway tracks.

            Jalova church records are likely filed under Stakcin and Cisarik shows "Andruchova Andruhova Andruczhova" in the Stakcin area. As well, the surname occurs in Stakcin and Snina phone listings.

            GC church records for Stakcin are available online. The 1869 Hungarian Census for Jalova is available on film.

            Good luck!!!!!!