Re: [S-R] JALIANEJIS

  • Philip Meluch
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
      One Possible Explanation:

      What year is the Manuscript?, Could be the Magyar Spelling of the Village Name.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
        Hi Martha,
        Clearly the spelling is not correct, either in Magyar or Slovak.

        More info would help. First, can you get a photocopy of the page or piece
        of it. People here are really good a deciphering ambiguous cursive.

        Next, What kind of record is it? Birth Marriage or Death? can you provide
        the year of the record? What else do you know of the person? What was his
        age at this recording?

        What is the surname? Spouse? Witness? We may be able to focus the search
        if we see the surname popping up with frequency in a certain vicinity.

        All of this will give us clues where to go next.

        HERE IS A list of all the villages in Zemplin under Magyar rule.
        http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g166.shtml

        Here are instructions for a surname geographic search (today's data, may or
        may not be relevant).
        http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/juls.html

        Good luck.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
          To Bill's Point, One other thing occurs to me. . .Depending on the Age of the document could be Old Church Slavonic,

          Thinking out loud here. . .

          > Hi Martha,
          > Clearly the spelling is not correct, either in Magyar or Slovak.
          >
          > More info would help. First, can you get a photocopy of the page or piece
          > of it. People here are really good a deciphering ambiguous cursive.
          >
          > Next, What kind of record is it? Birth Marriage or Death? can you provide
          > the year of the record? What else do you know of the person? What was his
          > age at this recording?
          >
          > What is the surname? Spouse? Witness? We may be able to focus the search
          > if we see the surname popping up with frequency in a certain vicinity.
          >
          > All of this will give us clues where to go next.
          >
          > HERE IS A list of all the villages in Zemplin under Magyar rule.
          > http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g166.shtml
          >
          > Here are instructions for a surname geographic search (today's data, may or
          > may not be relevant).
          > http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/juls.html
          >
          > Good luck.
          >

          > Bill

        • John
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
            Certainly not consistent with Zemplen Megye but . . .
            Jaliensis, BELOVAR-KOROS (Crisium) MEGYE(now Croatia) is a close fit with the village name.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone,
            >
            > Yesterday, I was at the Greek Catholic church looking at old records. The Deacon & I came across a village for one of my ancestors that is totally unfamiliar. The spelling we deciphered is in the subject line. After the village name Zemplin is written as clear as can be. So, we are assuming Zemplin county. I been searching for it today but no luck so I thought I would throw it out there for the group. Thanks for any clues!
            >
            > Martha

          • John
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
              What about the Latin form of "came from Jalova", which is in Zemplen Megye. What surname were you researching?
            • John
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
                If Jalova proves to be correct, there is a road and railway track that heads southwest to Michalovce area and that could be the method of migration toward a more prosperous area.

                > What about the Latin form of "came from Jalova", which is in Zemplen Megye. What surname were you researching?

              • martha.andras
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
                  Hi Everyone,

                  The record was in one of the old Death Record books at the church. No one is allowed to handle the books except the Deacon. The only reason I was able to get so close to them is because the Deacon is my husband's cousin! He won't allow photocopying. The entry is from December 1894 and it is a baptism for Andreas ANDRASOV who was born here in Hazleton, PA. His father was Michael ANDRASOV from SUCHE and his mother is only listed as Julianna. Her last name is not there but I know it to be ZACHARIAS from other records. The town in question is listed as her place of origin.

                  Looking at the town name of JALIAENJIS (I transposed the A & E in my first post) was odd because other records I found on the Family History site show her to be from PAZDICS. (These were baptismal records of her other children in Slovakia and their immigration record to the US in 1893). But, I have never been able to find her own baptismal record or the marriage record for Julianna and Mihaly. This new mystery town could be the reason why because from what I understand, the marriage was usually recorded in the bride's parish. (Their first child Zsuzsana was born in 1875 so the marriage could have been around the same time.)

                  Are JALOVA or JALIENSIS near PAZDICS or SUCHE? Maybe these towns will help us figure it out.

                  The language the record is written in is an interesting thought. Some entries were in Latin, some entries in Slovak, some entries in English and some entries in Cyrillic.(the oldest ones) I can't honestly remember which language this particular entry was but I'm leaning towards Latin because it was definitely the Roman alphabet.

                  Thanks for your help!

                  Martha

                  > If Jalova proves to be correct, there is a road and railway track that heads southwest to Michalovce area and that could be the method of migration toward a more prosperous area.

                  > > What about the Latin form of "came from Jalova", which is in Zemplen Megye. What surname were you researching?

                • Lubos Brieda
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
                    About 60km from each other: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Jalov%C3%A1,+Slovakia+to+Such%C3%A9,+Slovakia&saddr=Jalov%C3%A1,+Slovakia&daddr=Such%C3%A9,+Slovakia&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=48.765853,21.838064&sspn=0.157728,0.41851&geocode=FT1H7AIdpUdTASm7lO4pr1E5RzGwP5fG0fcABA%3BFZ0b6AId8DhNASmPQYPtuDI5RzHcD-KojwM14Q&z=11

                    -- Lubos Brieda --
                    Scientific computing: www.particleincell.comSlovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 26, 2011
                      I think that we are on the right (railway) track. Suche and Pozdisovce are to the west of Michalovce and Jalova is northeast along the railway tracks.

                      Jalova church records are likely filed under Stakcin and Cisarik shows "Andruchova Andruhova Andruczhova" in the Stakcin area. As well, the surname occurs in Stakcin and Snina phone listings.

                      GC church records for Stakcin are available online. The 1869 Hungarian Census for Jalova is available on film.

                      Good luck!!!!!!