[S-R] Re: Help finding immigration records Topolsky Karkos

  • JamieLynn
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
      Bill,

      No offense taken. I will be the first to admit that I haven't been doing this long or that I am not completely sure on what I am doing. I will take any tips or hints to help me out.

      Thanks for the help,
      Jamie

      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
        Be careful of duplicate names. It happened a LOT in my villages.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
          Dear All:

          I definitely agree with Bill about being careful of duplicate names. I
          found it happening a lot in my genealogical research as well, and the same
          name (but the wrong person) can lead one on a wild goose chase. I've seen
          instances where two males with the exact same name (MATHIAS BALOGA) also had
          wives with the same first name (ANNA) and both men were born in the same
          year (1804). It was very confusing until I did a cluster genealogy and was
          able to eliminate one from being my great, great, great grandparents because
          the other's wife's baptism (and birth) made it impossible for them to have
          been the parents of my great, great grandfather.

          Names were often handed down to honor the parents, grandparents, etc., and
          I have also seen it where my great grandfather, great great grandfather and
          great great great grandfather all bore the exact same name -- JAN HRONEC).
          It was confusing until I searched through all of the records relating to
          all HRONEC's in the church records.

          One technique that has helped me is the cluster genealogy search when
          examining the church records. After I have done a preliminary search where I
          have found records to my family, I go over the records again for all entries
          regarding the surname as well as any and all potential variants in
          spelling, and I keep track of every entry, and then after I am finished with the
          searching, (1) I compile the list of all the entries and then (2) I
          subsequently organized them into known connections (all children from the same
          parents, etc.). In doing the cluster genealogy approach, I am more certain of
          the results that I have achieved and I have a greater detail as to all of
          the family members. I highly recommend it if you have the time. It reduces
          the chances for errors that come when one hop-scotches around the church
          records looking for a particular person too.

          Best regards,

          David

        • John
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
            Jamie, they absolute key to moving ahead is to identify the village of birth. As I mentioned in a reply to Dennis H, I have already reviewed the online RC church records for Tarno and the GC records in adjacent villages -- and did not find the surnames around the mentioned dates.

            I guess that I was hoping for an easy home run but that was not to be!
          • lkocik@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
              Jamie

               Bill might have equals on this forum, but there is certainly no one better for giving advice.

               I have a few things to humbly add as far as corroborating  data;...make note of house numbers and godparents/witnesses when they're available.

                When you notice handwriting changes which would indicate a new scribe be aware of personal idiosyncrasies of the new scribe. It's also good to understand basic prefixes on surnames like; a, ka, ova, ovic, ovych,etc....and the extra z or s that will follow the letter c in Magyar records, the point being even with the additional letters it is still your surname.

               And to paraphrase what Bill says; there are no short cuts, but the rewards are worth the effort.

               Good luck in your research...it will grow on you.

              respectfully

              Larry Kocik

              The only places I have looked are ellisisland.org and ancestry.com. I don't
              really know where else to look. I thought I had a lead but it doesn't seem
              like it is panning out. I found a ship (Bohemia) that arrived on the same
              date, but just with a quick search on ellisisland.org I didn't come up with
              anything. There were 800+ passengers listed so I haven't been able to go
              through each one.

              Also, are there any good websites for researching genealogy for that area? I
              am pretty new to this so I am not too sure where to start.

              Jamie

              > Sorry John,I should have directed the question to Jamie although I did
              reply to her.....we are still speaking of Naturalization records
              though......my bad.

              > Dennis
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Where did you look for his records?
              > > Dennis
              > >
              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Assumption: Karkos and Topolsky families knew each other in Hungary.
              Marriage was "arranged". Elizabeth came to USA with that intention.

              > > > Fact: Marriage to Topolsky by Elizabeth Karkos, Nov.6, 1897, Lisbon
              Falls, Maine.

              > > > Ellis Island Clue:
              > > > Karkos, Elisabeth         Tarno         17         1880         1897
              > > >
              > > > Elisabeth arrived August 31, 1897 and was headed for Lisbon Falls, ME,
              to be with her brother. Born in Tarno.

              > > > LDS has online RC church records Tarnov, Slovakia, formerly Tarnó,
              Sáros, Hungary. I checked but did NOT find her birth on #695 Krsty 1869-1884
              -- Manželstvá 1869-1884 -- Úmrtia 1869-1884. Neither did I find John Stephen