Re: Help finding immigration records

  • JamieLynn
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 26 12:19 PM
      Thanks John I will take a look at the sites.

      Jamie

      > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
      > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
      >
      > FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
      >
      > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
      > The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records. Some church records for Slovakia are now available for online research.
      >
      > There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.
      >
      > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

    • JamieLynn
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 26 12:31 PM
        Bill,

        No offense taken. I will be the first to admit that I haven't been doing this long or that I am not completely sure on what I am doing. I will take any tips or hints to help me out.

        Thanks for the help,
        Jamie

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 26 12:31 PM
          Be careful of duplicate names. It happened a LOT in my villages.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 26 12:43 PM
            Dear All:

            I definitely agree with Bill about being careful of duplicate names. I
            found it happening a lot in my genealogical research as well, and the same
            name (but the wrong person) can lead one on a wild goose chase. I've seen
            instances where two males with the exact same name (MATHIAS BALOGA) also had
            wives with the same first name (ANNA) and both men were born in the same
            year (1804). It was very confusing until I did a cluster genealogy and was
            able to eliminate one from being my great, great, great grandparents because
            the other's wife's baptism (and birth) made it impossible for them to have
            been the parents of my great, great grandfather.

            Names were often handed down to honor the parents, grandparents, etc., and
            I have also seen it where my great grandfather, great great grandfather and
            great great great grandfather all bore the exact same name -- JAN HRONEC).
            It was confusing until I searched through all of the records relating to
            all HRONEC's in the church records.

            One technique that has helped me is the cluster genealogy search when
            examining the church records. After I have done a preliminary search where I
            have found records to my family, I go over the records again for all entries
            regarding the surname as well as any and all potential variants in
            spelling, and I keep track of every entry, and then after I am finished with the
            searching, (1) I compile the list of all the entries and then (2) I
            subsequently organized them into known connections (all children from the same
            parents, etc.). In doing the cluster genealogy approach, I am more certain of
            the results that I have achieved and I have a greater detail as to all of
            the family members. I highly recommend it if you have the time. It reduces
            the chances for errors that come when one hop-scotches around the church
            records looking for a particular person too.

            Best regards,

            David

          • John
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 26 1:25 PM
              Jamie, they absolute key to moving ahead is to identify the village of birth. As I mentioned in a reply to Dennis H, I have already reviewed the online RC church records for Tarno and the GC records in adjacent villages -- and did not find the surnames around the mentioned dates.

              I guess that I was hoping for an easy home run but that was not to be!
            • lkocik@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 26 6:42 PM
                Jamie

                 Bill might have equals on this forum, but there is certainly no one better for giving advice.

                 I have a few things to humbly add as far as corroborating  data;...make note of house numbers and godparents/witnesses when they're available.

                  When you notice handwriting changes which would indicate a new scribe be aware of personal idiosyncrasies of the new scribe. It's also good to understand basic prefixes on surnames like; a, ka, ova, ovic, ovych,etc....and the extra z or s that will follow the letter c in Magyar records, the point being even with the additional letters it is still your surname.

                 And to paraphrase what Bill says; there are no short cuts, but the rewards are worth the effort.

                 Good luck in your research...it will grow on you.

                respectfully

                Larry Kocik

                The only places I have looked are ellisisland.org and ancestry.com. I don't
                really know where else to look. I thought I had a lead but it doesn't seem
                like it is panning out. I found a ship (Bohemia) that arrived on the same
                date, but just with a quick search on ellisisland.org I didn't come up with
                anything. There were 800+ passengers listed so I haven't been able to go
                through each one.

                Also, are there any good websites for researching genealogy for that area? I
                am pretty new to this so I am not too sure where to start.

                Jamie

                > Sorry John,I should have directed the question to Jamie although I did
                reply to her.....we are still speaking of Naturalization records
                though......my bad.

                > Dennis
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Where did you look for his records?
                > > Dennis
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Assumption: Karkos and Topolsky families knew each other in Hungary.
                Marriage was "arranged". Elizabeth came to USA with that intention.

                > > > Fact: Marriage to Topolsky by Elizabeth Karkos, Nov.6, 1897, Lisbon
                Falls, Maine.

                > > > Ellis Island Clue:
                > > > Karkos, Elisabeth         Tarno         17         1880         1897
                > > >
                > > > Elisabeth arrived August 31, 1897 and was headed for Lisbon Falls, ME,
                to be with her brother. Born in Tarno.

                > > > LDS has online RC church records Tarnov, Slovakia, formerly Tarnó,
                Sáros, Hungary. I checked but did NOT find her birth on #695 Krsty 1869-1884
                -- Manželstvá 1869-1884 -- Úmrtia 1869-1884. Neither did I find John Stephen