Re: Help finding immigration records

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
      Dear Jamie,
      In genealogy we generally take what we know and work our way backwards.
      You mention a marriage date in Maine. If you know what religion they are, it would be worth investigating the church records. Often times (but not always) the place of birth will be noted in the marriage record. It may be as vague as Austria or Hungary, or you may get lucky and it just might list the name of a town.
      I was able to place a relative through church records by the baptism of his children. I was fortunate that the record showed the place of birth for the father and for the mother when a child was baptized in that particular church. I was not able to locate the marriage record since it was in 1877 and the records for that particular church did not begin prior to 1878. But the parents and the godparents of the babies had place of birth listed in the official church record. It is certainly worth a try.
      Immigration records as early as 1892 would not have given you much information anyway.
      Good luck.

      Barbara

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "JamieLynn" <jtopping82@...> wrote:

      > I need some help trying to find immigration records for my great-grandfather, John Stephen Topolosky (other spellings are Topoloski, Topolovsky, and Topolovszky.) According to U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes,the date and port of arrival are June 10, 1892 in New York, New York, but I have been unable to find him. The first record I have of him in the U.S. is his marriage in 1897.
      > Here is what I know about it.
      > John Stephen Topolosky
      > Born: May 20,1876 (not too sure where)
      > Death: May 26, 1982
      > Father: Joseph Topolosky
      > Mother: Marie (I am not to sure her surname. The only record I have I can't make it out. I know it starts with a "K".)
      > Arrival: June 10,1892 (U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes)
      > Naturalization: Aug. 20,1904 (U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes)
      > Marriage: Elizabeth Karkos, Nov.6, 1897, Lisbon Falls, Maine.
      >
      > Any help would be much appreciated.
      > Thank You,
      > Jamie

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
        JamieLynn,
        Do not give up, assuming that these records were burned. There is often a misunderstanding about the fire. The original records of the immigration departments were burned, but the copies of the manifests kept at the Customs Collection and abstracts sent to Washington have all survived. It is from these that the Ellis Island site, and Ancestry.com have compiled the records and indexes. There has been no significant loss of names, just of additional information about some immigrants.

        Curt B.

        > Jamie,
        > Ellis Island opened 1 JAN 1892. So he would have been processed through Ellis Island. The reason you cannot find his entry is this â€" “On June 15, 1897, a fire of unknown origin, possibly caused by faulty wiring, turned the wooden structures on Ellis Island into ashes. No losses of life were reported, however most of the immigration records dating back to 1855 were destroyed.”

      • patskanovo
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
          Jamie,

          You mentioned naturalization index of 1904....that is rather early but
          if you were able to establish an address and and a possible spelling of
          the surname the local achives(?) or court house may still have the
          records.

          Try the local churches in the area first as suggested...that is usually
          free of charge..

          How do you know that you have the correct person in the index? Sometimes
          you can "feel" you are correct,but that takes a few years of
          researching and that sense needs to be developed over time.....Cherry
          picking can be fruitless sometimes....right Bill?

          Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "JamieLynn" <jtopping82@...> wrote:

          > The only places I have looked are ellisisland.org and ancestry.com. I
          don't really know where else to look. I thought I had a lead but it
          doesn't seem like it is panning out. I found a ship (Bohemia) that
          arrived on the same date, but just with a quick search on
          ellisisland.org I didn't come up with anything. There were 800+
          passengers listed so I haven't been able to go through each one.

          > Also, are there any good websites for researching genealogy for that
          area? I am pretty new to this so I am not too sure where to start.

          > Jamie
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" ddhalusker@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Sorry John,I should have directed the question to Jamie although I
          did reply to her.....we are still speaking of Naturalization records
          though......my bad.

          > > Dennis
          > >
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@>
          wrote:

          > > > Where did you look for his records?

          Hungary. Marriage was "arranged". Elizabeth came to USA with that
          intention.

          Lisbon Falls, Maine.

          Falls, ME, to be with her brother. Born in Tarno.

          Tarnó, Sáros, Hungary. I checked but did NOT find her birth on
          #695 Krsty 1869-1884 -- Manželstvá 1869-1884 -- Úmrtia
          1869-1884. Neither did I find John Stephen Topolosky born May 20,1876.
          Could they have been GC rather than RC?

          1869 Hungarian Census for Tarnó (Tarnov) on Film # 2150639 Item 6.
          Though 1869 pre-dates the birth of your people, the census could
          identify their families as at 1869.

          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
            Hi Jamie,
            I'm on the road, so I may not see any of these messages for a week or more.
            Mea culpa.

            Here's my take on your research. No offense intended, but I see the same
            mistakes again and again.

            1) Spelling, translation and transcription errors. You said you've checked
            sources, but how many variations have you really checked? If you haven't
            tried at least a hundred variations, you're not looking hard enough. Most
            people give up quickly if they try to "cherry pick". Cherry pickers are
            interested for about four weeks or so, then disappear. Let that not be you.
            Successful searches will take a few years. Only a very few people get
            "lucky".

            Errors introduced. Transcription errors (from handwritten to typed) - poor
            handwriting,. How to work it? Search on partial names. Search on sounds
            like names, search on looks like names. Get a list of old cursive
            handwriting - for example an "s" looking like modern day "f".

            2)When this doesn't work, look for a village name by searching on friends,
            married-in-family, neighborhoods, churches. Don't forget all the errors
            described in (1). Immigrants often clustered together. How about census?
            Either national or state? Take the villages and feed them into Steve
            Morse's tool and see what names pop up for the village. You may see one of
            your names, written or transcribed very, very badly. I cannot tell you how
            many times I've seen this solve a piece.

            3. Village names usually had an old Hungary-name and then a modern-day
            village name. When you have one village, get it mapped to the other name
            and search on that name.

            4. Collect all the info you have found - even if you cannot corroborate it.
            I've sometimes have brainstorms months or years later, pulled out the data
            and voila! a match. I've even found stillborn children this way, even
            though they never appeared on the church records.

            5. Getting records out of the church is like pulling teeth. Very rarely
            possible, but a good donation might help

            BTW, always put your surnames or village names in the message subject. It
            may prompt more people to open your message rather than a generic topic.

            That's all for now. Read
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
            Oh, and if I didn't mention it, death certificates are most often useless.

            Good luck.

            Bill

            The only places I have looked are ellisisland.org and ancestry.com. I don't
            really know where else to look. I thought I had a lead but it doesn't seem
            like it is panning out. I found a ship (Bohemia) that arrived on the same
            date, but just with a quick search on ellisisland.org I didn't come up with
            anything. There were 800+ passengers listed so I haven't been able to go
            through each one.

            Also, are there any good websites for researching genealogy for that area? I
            am pretty new to this so I am not too sure where to start.

            Jamie

            > Sorry John,I should have directed the question to Jamie although I did
            reply to her.....we are still speaking of Naturalization records
            though......my bad.

            > Dennis
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Where did you look for his records?
            > > Dennis
            > >
            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnqadam@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Assumption: Karkos and Topolsky families knew each other in Hungary.
            Marriage was "arranged". Elizabeth came to USA with that intention.

            > > > Fact: Marriage to Topolsky by Elizabeth Karkos, Nov.6, 1897, Lisbon
            Falls, Maine.

            > > > Ellis Island Clue:
            > > > Karkos, Elisabeth Tarno 17 1880 1897
            > > >
            > > > Elisabeth arrived August 31, 1897 and was headed for Lisbon Falls, ME,
            to be with her brother. Born in Tarno.

            > > > LDS has online RC church records Tarnov, Slovakia, formerly Tarnó,
            Sáros, Hungary. I checked but did NOT find her birth on #695 Krsty 1869-1884
            -- Manželstvá 1869-1884 -- Úmrtia 1869-1884. Neither did I find John Stephen

            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
              Dennis is right. You need corroborating evidence. I note every piece of
              data and packrat it away. I put it into my genealogy program, without any
              familial links. I've got many "loners" looking for a home. Maybe they
              fit, maybe never.

              I often find out if they fit by working on other branches of trees and
              examining missing information. It's not just the birth dates to match
              (that's a good clue), but a myriad of other connections, including naming
              traditions, marriage, death records in church books. Maybe they were born
              in one village but married in the next and died in another. How do you
              figure this out. Hard work, a lot of thinking and above all patience.

              Searching on surnames is like throwing a ball into a based at the carnival.
              Maybe you'll win, but more often than not, you'll fail.

              Good luck.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                Dennis,

                I am almost positive that I have the right naturalization index, but I could always be wrong. The birth date on the index is the same as his WWl draft card, and 1900 Census. Also one of the witness named on it was his brother-in-law and the "address" listed was the town that he was married in and worked in.

                Thanks, hopefully I can find a church in that area with will have some records form the churches that where in the early 1900's.

                Jamie

                > Jamie,
                >
                > You mentioned naturalization index of 1904....that is rather early but
                > if you were able to establish an address and and a possible spelling of
                > the surname the local achives(?) or court house may still have the
                > records.
                >
                > Try the local churches in the area first as suggested...that is usually
                > free of charge..
                >
                > How do you know that you have the correct person in the index? Sometimes
                > you can "feel" you are correct,but that takes a few years of
                > researching and that sense needs to be developed over time.....Cherry
                > picking can be fruitless sometimes....right Bill?
                >
                > Dennis
                >

                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "JamieLynn" <jtopping82@> wrote:
                > >
                > > The only places I have looked are ellisisland.org and ancestry.com. I
                > don't really know where else to look. I thought I had a lead but it
                > doesn't seem like it is panning out. I found a ship (Bohemia) that
                > arrived on the same date, but just with a quick search on
                > ellisisland.org I didn't come up with anything. There were 800+
                > passengers listed so I haven't been able to go through each one.
                > >
                > > Also, are there any good websites for researching genealogy for that
                > area? I am pretty new to this so I am not too sure where to start.
                > >
                > > Jamie
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Sorry John,I should have directed the question to Jamie although I
                > did reply to her.....we are still speaking of Naturalization records
                > though......my bad.
                > > >
                > > > Dennis
                > > >
                > > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@>

                > Hungary. Marriage was "arranged". Elizabeth came to USA with that
                > intention.

                > Lisbon Falls, Maine.

                > Falls, ME, to be with her brother. Born in Tarno.

                > Tarnó, Sáros, Hungary. I checked but did NOT find her birth on
                > #695 Krsty 1869-1884 -- Manželstvá 1869-1884 -- Úmrtia
                > 1869-1884. Neither did I find John Stephen Topolosky born May 20,1876.
                > Could they have been GC rather than RC?

                > 1869 Hungarian Census for Tarnó (Tarnov) on Film # 2150639 Item 6.
                > Though 1869 pre-dates the birth of your people, the census could
                > identify their families as at 1869.

                > great-grandfather, John Stephen Topolosky (other spellings are
                > Topoloski, Topolovsky, and Topolovszky.) According to U.S.
                > Naturalization Record Indexes,the date and port of arrival are June 10,
                > 1892 in New York, New York, but I have been unable to find him. The
                > first record I have of him in the U.S. is his marriage in 1897.
                > have I can't make it out. I know it starts with a "K".)

              • JamieLynn
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                  Thanks John I will take a look at the sites.

                  Jamie

                  > BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                  > For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
                  >
                  > FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
                  >
                  > CHURCH RECORDS AT LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) LDS FAMILY HISTORY CENTER (FHC)
                  > The Mormons have been microfilming historic vital records worldwide for decades as part of their mission. The Mormons make their collection available to anyone for viewing at their Family History Centers (FHC). The microfilms are stored in Salt Lake City. When you visit a center, you can "rent" a microfilm, by paying a small fee (abt. $5 per film). The center will order the film on your behalf and notify you when it arrives at their center. You can then use reserve the microfilm readers to view these records. Some church records for Slovakia are now available for online research.
                  >
                  > There's one more thing to keep in mind about the FHC. For the most part, the FHC volunteers will know NOTHING about research in Slovakia or about the contents of the films. The volunteer may know about his/her own heritage, but that is about it. That's where you need groups like this to point you in the right direction.
                  >
                  > When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

                • JamieLynn
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                    Bill,

                    No offense taken. I will be the first to admit that I haven't been doing this long or that I am not completely sure on what I am doing. I will take any tips or hints to help me out.

                    Thanks for the help,
                    Jamie

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                      Be careful of duplicate names. It happened a LOT in my villages.

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                        Dear All:

                        I definitely agree with Bill about being careful of duplicate names. I
                        found it happening a lot in my genealogical research as well, and the same
                        name (but the wrong person) can lead one on a wild goose chase. I've seen
                        instances where two males with the exact same name (MATHIAS BALOGA) also had
                        wives with the same first name (ANNA) and both men were born in the same
                        year (1804). It was very confusing until I did a cluster genealogy and was
                        able to eliminate one from being my great, great, great grandparents because
                        the other's wife's baptism (and birth) made it impossible for them to have
                        been the parents of my great, great grandfather.

                        Names were often handed down to honor the parents, grandparents, etc., and
                        I have also seen it where my great grandfather, great great grandfather and
                        great great great grandfather all bore the exact same name -- JAN HRONEC).
                        It was confusing until I searched through all of the records relating to
                        all HRONEC's in the church records.

                        One technique that has helped me is the cluster genealogy search when
                        examining the church records. After I have done a preliminary search where I
                        have found records to my family, I go over the records again for all entries
                        regarding the surname as well as any and all potential variants in
                        spelling, and I keep track of every entry, and then after I am finished with the
                        searching, (1) I compile the list of all the entries and then (2) I
                        subsequently organized them into known connections (all children from the same
                        parents, etc.). In doing the cluster genealogy approach, I am more certain of
                        the results that I have achieved and I have a greater detail as to all of
                        the family members. I highly recommend it if you have the time. It reduces
                        the chances for errors that come when one hop-scotches around the church
                        records looking for a particular person too.

                        Best regards,

                        David

                      • John
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                          Jamie, they absolute key to moving ahead is to identify the village of birth. As I mentioned in a reply to Dennis H, I have already reviewed the online RC church records for Tarno and the GC records in adjacent villages -- and did not find the surnames around the mentioned dates.

                          I guess that I was hoping for an easy home run but that was not to be!
                        • lkocik@comcast.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 26, 2011
                            Jamie

                             Bill might have equals on this forum, but there is certainly no one better for giving advice.

                             I have a few things to humbly add as far as corroborating  data;...make note of house numbers and godparents/witnesses when they're available.

                              When you notice handwriting changes which would indicate a new scribe be aware of personal idiosyncrasies of the new scribe. It's also good to understand basic prefixes on surnames like; a, ka, ova, ovic, ovych,etc....and the extra z or s that will follow the letter c in Magyar records, the point being even with the additional letters it is still your surname.

                             And to paraphrase what Bill says; there are no short cuts, but the rewards are worth the effort.

                             Good luck in your research...it will grow on you.

                            respectfully

                            Larry Kocik