the name PIRI

  • tom geiss
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7 7:57 AM
      When I first got on this site a few years ago I told of a letter my grandma received from a PIRI GURKOVA? And there was pretty much agreement that this was not a Slovak name.
      Now, in a letter I received from an old man there that remembered the family he spoke of a daughter that they had who was named RUZENA, and called GIRA? (someone translated it as PIRI?)
      So that was really just a nickname.
      I should mention that the family was Austrian, and spoke 'Sudet German".
      The history of names is interesting.
      Tom

    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7 9:35 AM
        Dear Tom:

        If you search for GURK* (with the wildcard asterisk*) in the ARCANUM
        database (which can be accessed through Bill Tarkulich's website at
        _www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) ), there are some 94 references to the GURK, etc.
        I would also recommend searching under GURC*, etc.

        I am not sure if your surname has any connection, but there is a GURK, AU
        STRIA and there is also a place in KRSKO, SLOVENIA (its German name is
        GURKA). I have been doing some extensive research on the name GURKA as there is
        a old reference in the ARCANUM database that an ancestor in one of my
        lineages came is related to a GURKA.

        I hope that you have a great day. Please feel free to write me directly
        at _David1Law@..._ (mailto:David1Law@...) .

        Best regards,

        David

      • treimer@nycap.rr.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7 11:49 AM
          Piri is the short name for Piroska
          http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piroska
          and though the name comes originally from the Latin Prisca (the noble, beautiful), people thought it came from old magyar Piros (red). Since Ruzena comes from rose, perhaps Piri was indeed her nickname?

          Thomas