Finding Descendants of the Famous

  • allanstevo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 2011
      Good morning from Bratislava,
      I just posted an article on Jan Amos Komensky (Comenius) that got me to thinking about great names of the past in Slovak and Czech history and their descendants today.

      Has anyone come across any studies done or collections of research compiled that allows a reader to ask - "What ever happened to the Palffy family - the Hungarian aristocrats that were once so powerful in Slovakia" or "Does Comenius have any living descendants roaming the earth" - or Hviezdoslav, Kukucin, Masaryk, and others.

      To boil this question down - is there a publicly available and easy way to find if notable people in the history of this region continue to have descendants to this day?

      Thank you.

      Allan
      www.52inSk.com
    • david1law@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 6, 2011
        Dear Allan:

        In regard to famous people, there are some books in Hungarian genealogy
        regarding noble families that may be a good source, and also probably one of
        the best primary sources would be ARCANUM (literally "the archives" in
        Latin) which can be accessed through Bill Tarkulich's great website at _
        www.iabsi.com_ (http://www.iabsi.com) . When I am looking for historical research,
        ARCANUM is one of the best primary sources. I am very careful with
        secondary sources because secondary sources are apt to have additional errors,
        prejudices, etc. I hope that this helps a little.

        Best regards,

        David