Dribnak entry

  • slovak821@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
      Hi all,
      In looking for my grandfather, Peter Dribnak, i found an entry for
      Peter Drebniak. Based on the information in the entry, I am certain that this
      is my grandfather. He was from Medzilaborce going to Binghamton, NY. He
      is listed as Slovak/ Hungary ethnicity. He arrived on August 29,1910 on the
      Prinz Fredrich Wilhelm from Bremen Germany. This was not his first trip to
      the US, as my mom was born in Binghamton on Dec. 26, 1909.

      My question pertains to a stamped phrase over line 22 on the ship's
      maqnifest. It states that he is a NON-IMMIGRANT ALIEN. I have been unable to
      find what this means. Does anyone know what this means, or where, I might
      find this information?

      Thank you so much for any help you can provide.
      Jacqueline Strunak Kornmeyer

    • John
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
        >>> In looking for my grandfather, Peter Dribnak, i found an entry for Peter Drebniak. Based on the information in the entry, I am certain that this is my grandfather. He was from Medzilaborce going to Binghamton, NY. . . . This was not his first trip to the US, as my mom was born in Binghamton on Dec. 26, 1909.

        My question pertains to a stamped phrase over line 22 on the ship's
        maqnifest. It states that he is a NON-IMMIGRANT ALIEN. . . Does anyone know what this means <<<

        This term is used for someone who had been to the US before. And the manifest should have a column indicating the years he was in the US prior to this trip and perhaps even where he lived.
      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
          Jacqueline,
          You already gave us the answer. He is an alien, and so not yet a citizen. But he is not an immigrant since he had already come here before and established a residence and has a wife and children here. He just went back for a visit and now is returning to his residence in the U.S. He is a non immigrant alien.

          Curt B.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
            Thanks, John
            He had been in the US in 1903 and then he is listed in the 1910
            Census. The last item I have found is a WWI draft registration in 1918. I
            haven't located a death certificate since I have no idea when he died. I
            believe it was in the late 1920's in Binghamton. Any ideas on where to go now?

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 5, 2011
              Curt,
              That is all partially true since his wife and children were left in
              Slovakia. He returned in 1910 then went back to Slovakia at some future
              date; another baby was born in 1913. Another passenger list reveals he returned
              in July, 1914 (listed as Peter Drobnak). He re-surfaces on Sept.12, 1918
              with a WWI Draft Registration Card Record. Strange, since the war was over.
              My mom and her brother returned to the US in November, 1927 and my mom
              said he was alive at that time. I believe he was in Binghamton again, but
              nothing beyond that. i believe he died before my parents married in NJ in
              1929. Wish I had asked for more details, since everyone is gone, now. Thanks
              for any suggestions.
              Jacqueline

              --- In _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)