Re: Immigration

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 29, 2011
      Dot,
      Information written on the original manifest at a later time served many different purposes. In this case the first annotation refers to the fact they she and her sister Anna were detained at arrival. In this case because of their youngage. They had to wait for their father Johann to come and get them. He lived ad 4 Boyd street in New York. They appear in the accompanying register of detentions. The next annotation with a date is simply a notice that a verification check was made as to ship and date of arrival. It is not always clear why such a verification check was made, but it usually was for citizenship application. In this case, it seems unlikely since the check was made only a year after she arrived. By the way, the date check seems to be for her sister Anna and not for her.

      Curt B.