Gentle Reminder

  • amiak27
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2011
      Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines
      This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.
      * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
      * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.
      * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.
      * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
      o Search – Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
      o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
      o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion
      o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
      * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone to learn!
      * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.
      Thanks,

      Your Moderators

      Updated 30 April 2010

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kimberly Miller" <embracelove@...> wrote:

      > t's really only available in Easter or buy from Amish in Reading
      > Terminal Market which they get from a bakery in Tamaqua.
      >

      > <P><p><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2" style="font-size:13.5px">_______________________________________________________________<BR>Care2 makes it easy for everyone to live a healthy, green lifestyle
      > and impact the causes you care about most. Over 12 Million members!
      > http://www.care2.com
      >
      > Feed a child by searching the web! Learn how http://www.care2.com/toolbar</font>

    • Gina
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011
        I agree with Linda. This book is terrific and has a LOT of recipes--and only
        costs $9 in the US. But if you need a recipe to make them now, let me know
        and I'll submit mine for you.
        Gina

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 29, 2011
          Please, no more recipe messages. This is a genealogy forum.

          Thank you,
          Bill Tarkulich
        • Ron

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 22, 2012
              This is a question that does affect our new members who are not currently on Slovak-World: has anyone had luck gaining access to that listserv lately? There seems to have been a dearth of inactivity on the part of the moderator or moderators, leaving many of our current members in a state of limbo. Existing members are active, but I have seen few 'new faces' on Slovak World. This may leave many cultural and historical questions unanswered for new S-R members.

              Ben

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

              > Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines
              >
              > This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.
              > * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
              > * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.
              > * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.
              > * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
              > o Search – Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
              > o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
              > o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion
              > o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
              > * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone to learn!
              > * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Your Moderators

            • Ron
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 22, 2012
                Ben,

                I guess we are at the mercy of Greg or anyone who lives near and has occasional contact with him to get in touch and discuss the operation and continuity of Slovak World. Certainly I would like to see involvement of members in running the forum, as we have here at Slovak Roots, with volunteer moderators to assure continuity.

                Greg recently posted an advert for selling Christmas oplatky, so he is still active to some degree.

                If Slovak World dies, and I see it as quite inactive lately, it will have to be resurrected in another form. Certainly Slovak Roots cannot be allowed to become a forum for general Slovak discussion. The recent request for recipes was over the line, and Christmas greetings were quite borderline with over 1100 people signed up for "exclusively genealogy" discussion arriving in their mail boxes.

                With the New Year we are likely to have 1 or 2 additional Moderators to assure our continuity.

                Merry Christmas to All.

                I propose that Christmas wishes be limited to only those sending a positive contribution - to Slovak genealogy - and not sent for selfish pleasure, overloading member mailboxes.

                Ron M., Moderator
                Tending toward fairly strict interpretation of Maura's original Forum.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Ben Yahoo <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                > This is a question that does affect our new members who are not currently on Slovak-World: has anyone had luck gaining access to that listserv lately? There seems to have been a dearth of inactivity on the part of the moderator or moderators, leaving many of our current members in a state of limbo. Existing members are active, but I have seen few 'new faces' on Slovak World. This may leave many cultural and historical questions unanswered for new S-R members.
                >
                > Ben
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines
                > >
                > > This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.
                > > * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
                > > * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.
                > > * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.
                > > * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
                > > o Search â€" Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
                > > o Database â€" A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
                > > o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion
                > > o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
                > > * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone to learn!
                > > * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Your Moderators

              • Erin Valdes
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 22, 2012
                  I have been trying to join Slovak world, but can't get any of the moderators to accept my request to join.

                  Personally, I'd rather see off topic posts than those that come across as rude.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Dec 22, 2012, at 3:26 PM, Ben Yahoo <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                  > This is a question that does affect our new members who are not currently on Slovak-World: has anyone had luck gaining access to that listserv lately? There seems to have been a dearth of inactivity on the part of the moderator or moderators, leaving many of our current members in a state of limbo. Existing members are active, but I have seen few 'new faces' on Slovak World. This may leave many cultural and historical questions unanswered for new S-R members.
                  >
                  > Ben
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines
                  > >
                  > > This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.
                  > > * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.
                  > > * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.
                  > > * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.
                  > > * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.
                  > > o Search – Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.
                  > > o Database – A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
                  > > o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion
                  > > o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
                  > > * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone to learn!
                  > > * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Your Moderators

                • elevans1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                    Ron, I thank you very much for trying to keep everyone on topic. I belong to a number of genealogy mailing lists and forums. The off-topic posts add a considerable amount of time to just separating out the wheat from the chaff, and become downright annoying.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                    > Ron M., Moderator
                    > Tending toward fairly strict interpretation of Maura's original Forum.

                  • htcstech
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                      All moderators have a difficult job. I too have moderated various forums in
                      the past and I know how difficult it is. Sure it's 'fun' for the first few
                      months, but after that it does become tiring. There are a lot of grey areas
                      and it's up to individual moderators to recognize when a line has been
                      crossed. For example, the gentle reminder this time stemmed from someone
                      wishing a Happy Xmas/Hannuka and whatever to a group of people who are just
                      interested in genealogy, assuming that we are all Christians or Jews. I was
                      actually happy that Frank (I think) went critical on it. So did I in my own
                      way, pointing out the paganisms and even origins - like the Magyars who
                      claim to be the children of Nimrod in a pseudo-scientific fashion - surely
                      genealogy in the furthest sense of the word. Who begat whom?
                      But we should all understand that this mailing list is more for the
                      technical skill and strategies for working out documented relationships and
                      please let us leave the Xmas 'lip service' out of it. Personally I don't
                      appreciate it on any level except as a challenge!

                      Merry Christmas everyone.

                      Peter M.

                      On 24 December 2012 05:00, elevans1 <rue.ee.4gel41n3@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Ron, I thank you very much for trying to keep everyone on topic. I belong
                      > to a number of genealogy mailing lists and forums. The off-topic posts add
                      > a considerable amount of time to just separating out the wheat from the
                      > chaff, and become downright annoying.
                      >
                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:
                      >

                      > > Ron M., Moderator
                      > > Tending toward fairly strict interpretation of Maura's original Forum.

                    • Ron and Luanne Angelo Family
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                        I'm sorry my request for a couple of Czech/Slovak recipes was "over the
                        line", but I DID label the subject line as OT (off-topic) for those that
                        wanted to simply delete it...and I HAD done *a lot* of research,
                        internet searches, and Google Translations before I even DARED to ask on
                        this forum, knowing that some are extremely strict on the genealogy
                        aspect. I've still not been able to come up with good translations or
                        descriptions of some things (they don't translate), and I had decided
                        after receiving only 2-3 responses to my post to not even ask it,
                        knowing that I would be *really* blasted for asking. I've found that
                        other yahoo group that you mentioned in the list rules posting, but it
                        sounds like it's adding members, etc. Anyway, I'm sorry. I'll think a
                        whole lot more before I ask anything again...
                        Luanne

                        On 12/22/2012 3:48 PM, Ron wrote:
                        > Ben,
                        >
                        > I guess we are at the mercy of Greg or anyone who lives near and has occasional contact with him to get in touch and discuss the operation and continuity of Slovak World. Certainly I would like to see involvement of members in running the forum, as we have here at Slovak Roots, with volunteer moderators to assure continuity.
                        >
                        > Greg recently posted an advert for selling Christmas oplatky, so he is still active to some degree.
                        >
                        > If Slovak World dies, and I see it as quite inactive lately, it will have to be resurrected in another form. Certainly Slovak Roots cannot be allowed to become a forum for general Slovak discussion. The recent request for recipes was over the line, and Christmas greetings were quite borderline with over 1100 people signed up for "exclusively genealogy" discussion arriving in their mail boxes.
                        >
                        > With the New Year we are likely to have 1 or 2 additional Moderators to assure our continuity.
                        >
                        > Merry Christmas to All.
                        >
                        > I propose that Christmas wishes be limited to only those sending a positive contribution - to Slovak genealogy - and not sent for selfish pleasure, overloading member mailboxes.
                        >
                        > Ron M., Moderator
                        > Tending toward fairly strict interpretation of Maura's original Forum.

                      • Adrienne Sowards
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                          I agree with Erin. I know of people who have been turned off of genealogy because of the rude behavior of those on email lists or those who feel it is their job to "correct" everyone else's mistakes. The use of the term "gentle reminder" is even more disgusting. Call it what it is. People aren't behaving exactly as you wish and that annoys you because now you have to take and extra 10 seconds out of your day to hit "delete" a few times. You may as well switch out "gentle reminder" for "STFU"

                          Ironic that you should act that way at the holiday season...whether you're Christian, Jew, or "Other" as one of you so pointedly reminded us.
                          It makes me sad that you genealogy pros want to sit at your Algonquin Round Table and revel in your own Genealogical Brilliance and Crapulence. (Look it up.) At this point I am assuming that you don't care if you scare of "newbies" or the occasional dabbler. You'd rather keep it your club.
                          Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy a quick message that's meant to spread a little holiday goodwill, regardless of your religion. Particularly this year, when anything positive is so desperately needed.
                          If you want all of us "unwashed" to head over to Slovak World, make it a little easier to join. If there isn't already a Facebook page for this sort of thing I'll start one myself.
                          Merry Christmas - hope you Hanukkah was good - Happy Kwanzaa - Happy Saturnalia - Have a Good Tuesday the 25th. I know I will.
                          Love - A Dabbler
                          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                          From: erin.valdes@...
                          Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:55:43 -0500
                          Subject: Re: [S-R] Gentle Reminder

                          I have been trying to join Slovak world, but can't get any of the moderators to accept my request to join.

                          Personally, I'd rather see off topic posts than those that come across as rude.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Dec 22, 2012, at 3:26 PM, Ben Yahoo <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                          > This is a question that does affect our new members who are not currently on Slovak-World: has anyone had luck gaining access to that listserv lately? There seems to have been a dearth of inactivity on the part of the moderator or moderators, leaving many of our current members in a state of limbo. Existing members are active, but I have seen few 'new faces' on Slovak World. This may leave many cultural and historical questions unanswered for new S-R members.

                          > Ben

                          > Sent from my iPhone

                          > On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                          > > Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines

                          > > This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.

                          > > * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.

                          > > * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.

                          > > * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.

                          > > * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.

                          > > o Search � Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.

                          > > o Database � A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.

                          > > o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion

                          > > o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.

                          > > * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone to learn!

                          > > * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

                          > > Thanks,

                          > > Your Moderators

                        • Adrienne Sowards
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                            Amen.

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                            From: erin.valdes@...
                            Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:55:43 -0500

                            I have been trying to join Slovak world, but can't get any of the moderators to accept my request to join.

                            Personally, I'd rather see off topic posts than those that come across as rude.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Dec 22, 2012, at 3:26 PM, Ben Yahoo <cerrunos1@...> wrote:

                            > This is a question that does affect our new members who are not currently on Slovak-World: has anyone had luck gaining access to that listserv lately? There seems to have been a dearth of inactivity on the part of the moderator or moderators, leaving many of our current members in a state of limbo. Existing members are active, but I have seen few 'new faces' on Slovak World. This may leave many cultural and historical questions unanswered for new S-R members.

                            > Ben

                            > Sent from my iPhone

                            > On Dec 22, 2012, at 2:43 PM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                            > > Slovak-Roots Gentle Guidelines

                            > > This is an occasional reminder of the general guidelines we use to keep the discussion on-topic, civil and engaging.

                            > > * Post your surnames and village names in CAPITAL LETTERS. This makes them "jump out" to others.

                            > > * Always include a relevant topic, village or surname in the message subject.

                            > > * Create a new message subject to keep your question focused. "Hijacking" an existing message by changing the subject is a sure way to get your message lost.

                            > > * Instructions on changing your email subscription are found at the bottom of each posted message.

                            > > o Search � Use the website to search 23,000 previous messages.

                            > > o Database � A database of surnames with researcher contacts is available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/, but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.

                            > > o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for group discussion

                            > > o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.

                            > > * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of information. While members may seem "expert" there is always something new for everyone to learn!

                            > > * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

                            > > Thanks,

                            > > Your Moderators

                          • Bernardine Weigand
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                              Adrienne, I think you have expressed the sentiments of many. Members
                              are not seeking to be lectured or scolded. I detect/sense a loftiness
                              of sorts in many of the posts. This does not set the tone for
                              positive learning. And yes I usually hesitate posting because of this.

                              We all have our own areas of expertise. Flaunting becomes rather
                              boorish and in my opinion there is no forum for such... except perhaps
                              in the mirror. Humility trumps, any day, any time. Surely a good
                              way to stifle learning is by verbal chastising.

                              'Tis the season of good will. Peace in the world begins at home and
                              right here.

                              Respectfully,
                              Deannie Weigand
                              On Dec 23, 2012, at 9:26 PM, Adrienne Sowards wrote:

> [...]
                              >
                              >>> o Database ˆ A database of surnames with researcher contacts is
                              >>> available. It's not as robust as Helene's list http://slovakpride.homestead.com/
                              >>> , but it's been around for about 8 years. Worth a look.
                              >
                              >>> o Feel free to post to the web site a document or photo scan for
                              >>> group discussion
                              >
                              >>> o If you need help with handwriting and are posting a scan, be
                              >>> sure to include enough of the surrounding page that we can compare
                              >>> the item of interest with other handwriting on the page.
                              >
                              >>> * Feel free to make suggestions and provide sources of
                              >>> information. While members may seem "expert" there is always
                              >>> something new for everyone to learn!
                              >
                              >>> * Ask your question, no matter how simple or fundamental it may
                              >>> seem. While we have nearly 1,000 members, there is always an
                              >>> influx of new member and repeating an old topic is always helpful.

                            • amiak27
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 23, 2012
                                Oh, enough already!

                                Think that you are broadcasting to 1192 people rather than a small group.

                                EVERYONE on this list was greeted with the guidelines we operate under, very specifically limiting topics to genealogical. Go elsewhere for a chat forum.

                                Maura established this list to isolate pure genealogical discussion from the Everything Slovak discussions on Slovak World. We follow-on monitors have been very, very more lenient than Maura was! I am a historian, not a genealogist, and she took me severely to task three times for introducing very closely history to a topic before I learned my lesson.

                                There was no criticism of the request for recipes and it was only after we diverged into Christmas greetings that I copied the gentle "gentle reminder" and sent it out.

                                Think of the 1192 people who silently are subjected to ALL of our emails!

                                To loftiness, lecturing or scolding, I can only speak for myself. This is not an edited forum where every post is monitored, so each of us is responsible for his own tone. As for me, I only have so many words and a limited ability to compose them, so I try to keep it business like. Bill T. has the ability to compose diplomatic essays, and I believe he authored the gentle reminder, to which I may have added a sentence or two.

                                Ron 'Grinch"
                                Moderator

                                PS. The gentle reminder is a standard form we send out several times every year when topics diverge from the purpose of the forum. It is unfortunate that this occurred on the eve of Christmas.

                                Please address any subsequent comments or protests to me individually or to SLOVAK-ROOTS-owner@... to reach both moderators.