'y' with an umlaut

  • stevemartonak
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2011
      Looking at some mid 19th century parish records I'm occasionally seeing surnames with a terminal 'y' with an umlaut. Near as I can tell, neither the current Hungarian alphabet nor the current slovak alphabet have a y-umlaut. What is this umlaut indicating about the 'y' or perhaps the preceding letter?

      Steve

      --
    • Elaine Powell
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2011
        Steve, I have seen this also, and I believe it is the combination of
        a small letter "i" and a small letter "j" which each have a dot,
        accounting for the double-looking dot above.

        Elaine P