Family Relationship - Illegitimate Son

  • mgs814
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 15, 2011
      Currently trying to understand the family records I have found. TOMAS KOZAK married ANNA PETICZKY in 1865 in KRAČÚNOVCE. In 1868 they had a son JOANNES KOZAK, followed by a daughter ANNA KOZAK in 1871. In 1876, there is a listing for the baptism of GEORGIS KOZAK, but he is listed as illegitimate, with only ANNA KOZAK alias PETICZKY as the mother. I have read posts here about single women getting pregnant but was it common for married women to have affairs? Which is what I assume happened here. Would there be any consequences for the woman? And how common would it be for the husband to raise the illegitimate child? This is what appears to have happened. Tomas (Thomas), Joannes (John) and Georgius (George) all immigrated to Streator Illinois from 1898 to 1907 and when Thomas Kozak died, George was listed as a son in the obituary. Anna was listed as his wife on the death certificate, although dead by then as he was a widower, so I guess they did not divorce, I don't even know how common divorce was back then. Thanks for any help/info/ideas.
      Mari