Re: SASKOVCE/SASKOVIACH

  • martha.andras
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 9, 2011
      Hi Curt,

      I'm puzzled now. I've never heard of the family coming from Serbia or Kosovo. If you are willing to take a look, I have the documents uploaded under "Photos" titled "Andras Family Tree". There are 3 photos. One is of the letter written by the priest in 1939. The other two are copies of the church records. Would you mind double-checking the translation of the town name?

      Thank you!

      Martha

      > Martha,
      > I hope your translator did a good job. Saskovce, or Saskovac is a small village in what was Serbia, and now the semi-independent province of Kosovo. There were a lot of Rusyn Greek Catholics who moved from Eastern Slovakia to the northern part of Serbia [Vojvodina, the Banat] and so many Greek Catholic churches which are still there. But this is much to the south of that, just south of the city of Pristina. Maybe someone knows if there were any Greek Catholics there at all. Seems strange to me.
      >
      > Curt B.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi!
      > >
      > > Recently, I had a letter that was written in 1939 translated from Slovak to English. It contained much family tree information that I needed. The priest who wrote the original letter (in 1939) found the family records in the church records from SASKOVCE or SASKOVIACH. (The town name was translated both ways from Slovak to English.) I tried looking for that town tonight so I could search the Pilot records but I cannot find it. Does anyone know which records this town may be listed under? The family was Greek Catholic.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Martha

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 9, 2011
        Martha,
        Whew, your translator just misread a village. The villages mentioned in the documents are all within very short distance of the large town of Michalovce. The towns mentioned are Pozdisovce, Trhoviste , and the priest is pastor at Laskovce. Your reader is misreading the initial letter L for an S. This is what gave him Saskovce [which is in Serbia]. Laskovce and Laskoviach are variant grammatical case endings in Slovak and should not be expressed in an English translation. The village is simply Laskovce.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

        > Hi Curt,
        >
        > I'm puzzled now. I've never heard of the family coming from Serbia or Kosovo. If you are willing to take a look, I have the documents uploaded under "Photos" titled "Andras Family Tree". There are 3 photos. One is of the letter written by the priest in 1939. The other two are copies of the church records. Would you mind double-checking the translation of the town name?
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Martha
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Martha,
        > > I hope your translator did a good job. Saskovce, or Saskovac is a small village in what was Serbia, and now the semi-independent province of Kosovo. There were a lot of Rusyn Greek Catholics who moved from Eastern Slovakia to the northern part of Serbia [Vojvodina, the Banat] and so many Greek Catholic churches which are still there. But this is much to the south of that, just south of the city of Pristina. Maybe someone knows if there were any Greek Catholics there at all. Seems strange to me.
        > >
        > > Curt B.
        > >
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi!
        > > >
        > > > Recently, I had a letter that was written in 1939 translated from Slovak to English. It contained much family tree information that I needed. The priest who wrote the original letter (in 1939) found the family records in the church records from SASKOVCE or SASKOVIACH. (The town name was translated both ways from Slovak to English.) I tried looking for that town tonight so I could search the Pilot records but I cannot find it. Does anyone know which records this town may be listed under? The family was Greek Catholic.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks!
        > > >
        > > > Martha

      • martha.andras
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 9, 2011
          Hi Curt, I can see where the "S" and the "L" could have been misunderstood. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it. Laskovce makes more sense. My husband's family was always told the ancestors were from Lozin, Sucha & Pazdics. I do see some of those towns in the documents. Any help is always very welcomed! Thank you!

          Martha

          > Martha,
          > Whew, your translator just misread a village. The villages mentioned in the documents are all within very short distance of the large town of Michalovce. The towns mentioned are Pozdisovce, Trhoviste , and the priest is pastor at Laskovce. Your reader is misreading the initial letter L for an S. This is what gave him Saskovce [which is in Serbia]. Laskovce and Laskoviach are variant grammatical case endings in Slovak and should not be expressed in an English translation. The village is simply Laskovce.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Curt,
          > >
          > > I'm puzzled now. I've never heard of the family coming from Serbia or Kosovo. If you are willing to take a look, I have the documents uploaded under "Photos" titled "Andras Family Tree". There are 3 photos. One is of the letter written by the priest in 1939. The other two are copies of the church records. Would you mind double-checking the translation of the town name?
          > >
          > > Thank you!
          > >
          > > Martha
          > >
          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Martha,
          > > > I hope your translator did a good job. Saskovce, or Saskovac is a small village in what was Serbia, and now the semi-independent province of Kosovo. There were a lot of Rusyn Greek Catholics who moved from Eastern Slovakia to the northern part of Serbia [Vojvodina, the Banat] and so many Greek Catholic churches which are still there. But this is much to the south of that, just south of the city of Pristina. Maybe someone knows if there were any Greek Catholics there at all. Seems strange to me.
          > > >
          > > > Curt B.

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 10, 2011
            Martha,
            These are all the towns within walking distance to Michalovce. Pazdics is the old Hungarian name for the town now called Pozdisovce and indicated in your report.

            Look for any of them on a google map and you can see great detail as well as contemporary photos.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

            > Hi Curt, I can see where the "S" and the "L" could have been misunderstood. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it. Laskovce makes more sense. My husband's family was always told the ancestors were from Lozin, Sucha & Pazdics. I do see some of those towns in the documents. Any help is always very welcomed! Thank you!
            >
            > Martha
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Martha,
            > > Whew, your translator just misread a village. The villages mentioned in the documents are all within very short distance of the large town of Michalovce. The towns mentioned are Pozdisovce, Trhoviste , and the priest is pastor at Laskovce. Your reader is misreading the initial letter L for an S. This is what gave him Saskovce [which is in Serbia]. Laskovce and Laskoviach are variant grammatical case endings in Slovak and should not be expressed in an English translation. The village is simply Laskovce.
            > >
            > > Curt B.
            > >

            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi Curt,
            > > >
            > > > I'm puzzled now. I've never heard of the family coming from Serbia or Kosovo. If you are willing to take a look, I have the documents uploaded under "Photos" titled "Andras Family Tree". There are 3 photos. One is of the letter written by the priest in 1939. The other two are copies of the church records. Would you mind double-checking the translation of the town name?
            > > >
            > > > Thank you!
            > > >
            > > > Martha

          • martha.andras
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
              Hi Curt,

              I corrected the spelling of the town in the subject line so it is not confusing to anyone.

              I checked google maps and see where the towns are very close to one another. I was also able to find two records in Lascovce and Pozdisovce Pilot for my husband's family! Both of the names on these records are mentioned in the 1939 letter from the priest so I know it is the same family. Unfortunately, the records on the Pilot don't go back far enough. I don't know if they are just not on-line yet or if they don't exist. Do you have any insight on that?

              I have one more question. The birth place for the first wife, Anna Mitrova, is Zborov. Google shows me 3 different Zborov's. One in the Ukraine, one in the Czech Republic and one in Slovakia about 50 miles from Pozdisovce. My best guess is that the correct Zborov is the town in Slovakia. I don't see Zborov on the Pilot so do you know which town I would search under?

              Thanks again for all your help!

              Martha

              > Martha,
              > These are all the towns within walking distance to Michalovce. Pazdics is the old Hungarian name for the town now called Pozdisovce and indicated in your report.
              >
              > Look for any of them on a google map and you can see great detail as well as contemporary photos.
              >
              > Curt B.
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Curt, I can see where the "S" and the "L" could have been misunderstood. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it. Laskovce makes more sense. My husband's family was always told the ancestors were from Lozin, Sucha & Pazdics. I do see some of those towns in the documents. Any help is always very welcomed! Thank you!
              > >
              > > Martha
              > >
              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Martha,
              > > > Whew, your translator just misread a village. The villages mentioned in the documents are all within very short distance of the large town of Michalovce. The towns mentioned are Pozdisovce, Trhoviste , and the priest is pastor at Laskovce. Your reader is misreading the initial letter L for an S. This is what gave him Saskovce [which is in Serbia]. Laskovce and Laskoviach are variant grammatical case endings in Slovak and should not be expressed in an English translation. The village is simply Laskovce.
              > > >
              > > > Curt B.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                a.. The Zborov records go back to 1695. They are online; click on the headings below to get to them.
                b..
                c.. Slovakia Church Books, 1592-1910
                d.. Roman Catholic
                e.. Bardejov
                f.. Zborov: Hutka

                --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:

                > Martha,
                > These are all the towns within walking distance to Michalovce. Pazdics is the old Hungarian name for the town now called Pozdisovce and indicated in your report.
                >
                > Look for any of them on a google map and you can see great detail as well as contemporary photos.
                >
                > Curt B.
                >
                > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Curt, I can see where the "S" and the "L" could have been misunderstood. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it. Laskovce makes more sense. My husband's family was always told the ancestors were from Lozin, Sucha & Pazdics. I do see some of those towns in the documents. Any help is always very welcomed! Thank you!
                > >
                > > Martha
                > >
                > > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Martha,
                > > > Whew, your translator just misread a village. The villages mentioned in the documents are all within very short distance of the large town of Michalovce. The towns mentioned are Pozdisovce, Trhoviste , and the priest is pastor at Laskovce. Your reader is misreading the initial letter L for an S. This is what gave him Saskovce [which is in Serbia]. Laskovce and Laskoviach are variant grammatical case endings in Slovak and should not be expressed in an English translation. The village is simply Laskovce.
                > > >
                > > > Curt B.

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                  Hi Martha,
                  I have no special insights on the missing Greek church Matrika for Lascovce. They sure are very fragmentary They may have been lost, just not filmed, or even still at the church and not given over to the state Many Greek church registers were partially destroyed You are lucky to have results of the search in 1939

                  As for records for Zborov, do look, as Michael suggesed, in the Roman Catholic records She may be in there, but maybe not Greek church members are usually not there, but registered in the nearest Greek Catholic Church

                  Curt B

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Curt,
                  >
                  > I corrected the spelling of the town in the subject line so it is not confusing to anyone.
                  >
                  > I checked google maps and see where the towns are very close to one another. I was also able to find two records in Lascovce and Pozdisovce Pilot for my husband's family! Both of the names on these records are mentioned in the 1939 letter from the priest so I know it is the same family. Unfortunately, the records on the Pilot don't go back far enough. I don't know if they are just not on-line yet or if they don't exist. Do you have any insight on that?
                  >
                  > I have one more question. The birth place for the first wife, Anna Mitrova, is Zborov. Google shows me 3 different Zborov's. One in the Ukraine, one in the Czech Republic and one in Slovakia about 50 miles from Pozdisovce. My best guess is that the correct Zborov is the town in Slovakia. I don't see Zborov on the Pilot so do you know which town I would search under?
                  >
                  > Thanks again for all your help!
                  >
                  > Martha
                  >

                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Martha,
                  > > These are all the towns within walking distance to Michalovce. Pazdics is the old Hungarian name for the town now called Pozdisovce and indicated in your report.
                  > >
                  > > Look for any of them on a google map and you can see great detail as well as contemporary photos.
                  > >
                  > > Curt B.
                  > >
                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi Curt, I can see where the "S" and the "L" could have been misunderstood. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it. Laskovce makes more sense. My husband's family was always told the ancestors were from Lozin, Sucha & Pazdics. I do see some of those towns in the documents. Any help is always very welcomed! Thank you!
                  > > >
                  > > > Martha

                • Michael Mojher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                    The 1995 Census had no location by the spelling Laskovce. But it did have these two. The first is in the orkes Michalovce and the second in the orkes Trebisov. Both relative close to one another. And both were in the Hungarian county of Zemplin.
                    If you do a “Place” search at FHL site it says that the Michalovce Greek Catholic records cover Laskovce. But when you go to the online list there is no Laskovce under Michalovce.
                    1193 Laškovce MI/KI zemplín.
                    1773 Lásk, Laskowcze, 1786 Lask, Laskowcze, 1808 Lask, Lasskowce, 1863–1913 Lask, 1920– Laškovce

                    1192 Lastovce TV/KI zemplín.
                    1773 Lasztocz, Lastowcze, 1786 Lasztócz, Lasztow[c]e, 1808 Lasztócz, Lastowec, 1863–1913 Lasztóc, 1920– Lastovce

                    I have no special insights on the missing Greek church Matrika for Lascovce. They sure are very fragmentary They may have been lost, just not filmed, or even still at the church and not given over to the state Many Greek church registers were partially destroyed You are lucky to have results of the search in 1939

                    As for records for Zborov, do look, as Michael suggesed, in the Roman Catholic records She may be in there, but maybe not Greek church members are usually not there, but registered in the nearest Greek Catholic Church

                    Curt B

                    --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Curt,
                    >
                    > I corrected the spelling of the town in the subject line so it is not confusing to anyone.
                    >
                    > I checked google maps and see where the towns are very close to one another. I was also able to find two records in Lascovce and Pozdisovce Pilot for my husband's family! Both of the names on these records are mentioned in the 1939 letter from the priest so I know it is the same family. Unfortunately, the records on the Pilot don't go back far enough. I don't know if they are just not on-line yet or if they don't exist. Do you have any insight on that?
                    >
                    > I have one more question. The birth place for the first wife, Anna Mitrova, is Zborov. Google shows me 3 different Zborov's. One in the Ukraine, one in the Czech Republic and one in Slovakia about 50 miles from Pozdisovce. My best guess is that the correct Zborov is the town in Slovakia. I don't see Zborov on the Pilot so do you know which town I would search under?
                    >
                    > Thanks again for all your help!
                    >
                    > Martha
                    >

                    > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Martha,
                    > > These are all the towns within walking distance to Michalovce. Pazdics is the old Hungarian name for the town now called Pozdisovce and indicated in your report.
                    > >
                    > > Look for any of them on a google map and you can see great detail as well as contemporary photos.
                    > >
                    > > Curt B.
                    > >
                    > > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi Curt, I can see where the "S" and the "L" could have been misunderstood. I appreciate your taking the time to look at it. Laskovce makes more sense. My husband's family was always told the ancestors were from Lozin, Sucha & Pazdics. I do see some of those towns in the documents. Any help is always very welcomed! Thank you!
                    > > >
                    > > > Martha

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                      MMojer
                      The village with the diacritic Laškovce, is the one being referred to. I ususally do not use the diacritics since so many many people do not have their screens set for it.

                      If you continue the catalog search at FHL to the next step you will see that there ARE Greek Catholic records in the Michalovce district for Laškovce. The problem is that they only run from 1875 to 1898, while Martha's author refers to records of that church in 1866 so it is clear that there once were earlier records, but we don't know what happened to them

                      Curt B

                      In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                      > The 1995 Census had no location by the spelling Laskovce. But it did have these two. The first is in the orkes Michalovce and the second in the orkes Trebisov. Both relative close to one another. And both were in the Hungarian county of Zemplin.
                      > If you do a “Place” search at FHL site it says that the Michalovce Greek Catholic records cover Laskovce. But when you go to the online list there is no Laskovce under Michalovce.
                      > 1193 Laškovce MI/KI zemplín.
                      > 1773 Lásk, Laskowcze, 1786 Lask, Laskowcze, 1808 Lask, Lasskowce, 1863â€"1913 Lask, 1920â€" LaÅ¡kovce
                      >
                      > 1192 Lastovce TV/KI zemplín.
                      > 1773 Lasztocz, Lastowcze, 1786 Lasztócz, Lasztow[c]e, 1808 Lasztócz, Lastowec, 1863â€"1913 Lasztóc, 1920â€" Lastovce

                    • Michael Mojher
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                        Curt,
                        For consideration. Laskovce is a very small village, event today less than 600 inhabitants. Even though the modern Slovak Road Atlas shows a church being in the village, most likely Greek Catholic, it would have to be an affiliated parish. I think the proof is in there only being 23 years worth of records attributed to Laskovce. That means you need to find the main parish it is affiliated with. The postal station for Laskovce is Pozdišovce 2.5 km away. Presently, it has nearly 1300 inhabitants. The road atlas shows it has three churches. The FHL “Place” search only lists a few years of Evangelical records for Pozdišovce.
                        The next large available town with a Greek Catholic church is Michalovce. The FHL place search shows a listing for Greek Catholic records in Michalovce and Topolany. Topolany having been absorbed by modern Michalovce. Unfortunately, the online records for Michalovce does not have Laskovce or Pozdišovce.
                        So you have hit the wall on this using a simple search. It may be a long shot, writing Laskovce City Hall and asking what parish they were affiliated with in the 1800’s might get a quicker answer.

                        In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                        > The 1995 Census had no location by the spelling Laskovce. But it did have these two. The first is in the orkes Michalovce and the second in the orkes Trebisov. Both relative close to one another. And both were in the Hungarian county of Zemplin.
                        > If you do a “Place” search at FHL site it says that the Michalovce Greek Catholic records cover Laskovce. But when you go to the online list there is no Laskovce under Michalovce.
                        > 1193 Laškovce MI/KI zemplín.
                        > 1773 Lásk, Laskowcze, 1786 Lask, Laskowcze, 1808 Lask, Lasskowce, 1863â€"1913 Lask, 1920â€" LaÅ¡kovce
                        >
                        > 1192 Lastovce TV/KI zemplín.
                        > 1773 Lasztocz, Lastowcze, 1786 Lasztócz, Lasztow[c]e, 1808 Lasztócz, Lastowec, 1863â€"1913 Lasztóc, 1920â€" Lastovce

                      • curtbocha
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 11, 2011
                          Michael,
                          The letter that Martha posted was written by the pastor of the church in 1939. So it was clearly an independent pastorate and not affiliated with another parish. The pastor mentions that the church is within the Dekanat of of Michalovce, but an independent parish. Look at it in the PHOTOS section. He cites the parish records of Laskovce which he has at hand, including the 1860's. The question is, what happened to them? The only surviving ones are the ones online and were found in the archive in Levoca. Many Greek Catholic records were destroyed after the war when the Greek Catholic church disappeared and was taken over by Orthodox.

                          But, ultimately the only likely answer will be found from knowledgeable people in the village itself, if there are any left.

                          The reconstituted Greek Catholic church and parishes are today organized with entirely different dependent relationships and even popoulations, so the present day is not much of a clue to the past

                          Curt B

                          > Curt,
                          > For consideration. Laskovce is a very small village, event today less than 600 inhabitants. Even though the modern Slovak Road Atlas shows a church being in the village, most likely Greek Catholic, it would have to be an affiliated parish. I think the proof is in there only being 23 years worth of records attributed to Laskovce. That means you need to find the main parish it is affiliated with. The postal station for Laskovce is Pozdišovce 2.5 km away. Presently, it has nearly 1300 inhabitants. The road atlas shows it has three churches. The FHL “Place” search only lists a few years of Evangelical records for Pozdišovce.
                          > The next large available town with a Greek Catholic church is Michalovce. The FHL place search shows a listing for Greek Catholic records in Michalovce and Topolany. Topolany having been absorbed by modern Michalovce. Unfortunately, the online records for Michalovce does not have Laskovce or Pozdišovce.
                          > So you have hit the wall on this using a simple search. It may be a long shot, writing Laskovce City Hall and asking what parish they were affiliated with in the 1800’s might get a quicker answer.

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                            “On April 28, 1950, the communist government of Czechoslovakia instituted the "Sobor of Presov", which shuttered the Greek Catholic Church. It transferred their parishes to the Russian Orthodox church. ...... Church records ostensibly were transferred to the local village offices. The same treatment applied to the Roman Catholic church.” “Not all Greek Catholic records from 1895 to 1950 were preserved. Some were transferred to the state archive, some kept by the Orthodox church and still others were lost or destroyed.” “ Whether pre-1990 records exist in the village church depends on the individual circumstances of the village church.”
                            “With regard to record-keeping, it was customary (and convenient) to maintain one record book for this collection of churches "parish." When searching for church records for a specific village, the affiliated churches are not always called out in the catalog description. If you cannot find your church records and are uncertain of the main church, try another nearby village. Most affiliated church villages were located within a reasonable walking distance from each other (one to four miles was common.)” From Bill Tarkulich's Slovakia Genealogy Research Strategies

                            Curt,
                            For those who may be following are conversation I pasted the above for an understanding of the conversation.
                            I noticed that in photo #2 as part of the address was “Dekanat Trhoviste” for the village of Laskovce. In 1939 we know which Dekanat it belonged to.
                            The few records for Laskovce that were found are at the Levoca Archives.
                            From above it shows where the records of the 1800’s for Laskovce may have gone. The “local village offices”, “state archive” and “Orthodox church” were listed as possible locations.
                            Since Laskovce was an affiliated parish it would seem reasonable that “local village offices” could have possibly been in Laskovce and/or the village of the parish. The “Catch 22” here is “..., the affiliated churches are not always called out in the catalog description.” If that happened to be the case for Laskovce then it would require looking through the parish records of the villages Laskovce might possible been affiliated to.
                            Why that small set of records ended up in the Levoca archive is an interesting mystery. One would have thought they would have gone to the “local” Kosice archive. In A Guide to the Slovak Archives under “Collections” is “Church Registers 1587 –1952 .... and Greek Catholic churches.” Unfortunately, there is no detailed list of the holdings. Still it might be worth an inquiry as to which Greek Catholic church records they do have.
                            If the Orthodox church kept the records I am not knowledgeable on how one could try to find what village records they possess.
                            My approach would be a “bull’s-eye” one. Begin with Laskovce. If the church in the village is still functioning they or the city hall might have all of the records. Then expand the search out to the parishes Laskovce was affiliated with. Finally, I would try the archives.

                            The letter that Martha posted was written by the pastor of the church in 1939. So it was clearly an independent pastorate and not affiliated with another parish. The pastor mentions that the church is within the Dekanat of of Michalovce, but an independent parish. Look at it in the PHOTOS section. He cites the parish records of Laskovce which he has at hand, including the 1860's. The question is, what happened to them? The only surviving ones are the ones online and were found in the archive in Levoca. Many Greek Catholic records were destroyed after the war when the Greek Catholic church disappeared and was taken over by Orthodox.

                            But, ultimately the only likely answer will be found from knowledgeable people in the village itself, if there are any left.

                            The reconstituted Greek Catholic church and parishes are today organized with entirely different dependent relationships and even popoulations, so the present day is not much of a clue to the past

                            Curt B

                            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                            > Curt,
                            > For consideration. Laskovce is a very small village, event today less than 600 inhabitants. Even though the modern Slovak Road Atlas shows a church being in the village, most likely Greek Catholic, it would have to be an affiliated parish. I think the proof is in there only being 23 years worth of records attributed to Laskovce. That means you need to find the main parish it is affiliated with. The postal station for Laskovce is Pozdišovce 2.5 km away. Presently, it has nearly 1300 inhabitants. The road atlas shows it has three churches. The FHL “Place” search only lists a few years of Evangelical records for Pozdišovce.
                            > The next large available town with a Greek Catholic church is Michalovce. The FHL place search shows a listing for Greek Catholic records in Michalovce and Topolany. Topolany having been absorbed by modern Michalovce. Unfortunately, the online records for Michalovce does not have Laskovce or Pozdišovce.
                            > So you have hit the wall on this using a simple search. It may be a long shot, writing Laskovce City Hall and asking what parish they were affiliated with in the 1800’s might get a quicker answer.

                          • martha.andras
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                              Hi Michael & Curt,

                              I changed the subject line to more accurately reflect the content of our thread.

                              I can't access the Zborov records all the way through as you describe. I get as far as Bardejov but see nothing to click after that for Zborov:Hutka. I only see the records for births, deaths, marriages, etc. that I can click individually to see the actual records for Bardejov. Am I missing something? I did spend the afternoon checking all the records under Bardejov but unfortunately, did not find anything for Anna Mitrova or her husband, Michal Andras.

                              I have checked all the records for Laskovce twice and am slowly working my way through the records for Michalovce, as you suggested. That will take me a while because there are many records. I will also try to write to someone in the town and will check online to see if there is an address for a town hall or town offices. Perhaps the rest of the records are lost and I am thankful to have the information I do.

                              Thank you both for all your help!

                              Martha

                              > a.. The Zborov records go back to 1695. They are online; click on the headings below to get to them.
                              > b..
                              > c.. Slovakia Church Books, 1592-1910
                              > d.. Roman Catholic
                              > e.. Bardejov
                              > f.. Zborov: Hutka

                            • christine mackara
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                                Martha, Are you looking for Zborov: Hutka ?I just went to www.familysearch.org Europa, Slovakia Churchbooks, browse through ......., Roman Catholic, Bardejov and found Zborov: Hutka.

                                Did you try that ?

                                Christine

                                I changed the subject line to more accurately reflect the content of our thread.

                                I can't access the Zborov records all the way through as you describe. I get as far as Bardejov but see nothing to click after that for Zborov:Hutka. I only see the records for births, deaths, marriages, etc. that I can click individually to see the actual records for Bardejov. Am I missing something? I did spend the afternoon checking all the records under Bardejov but unfortunately, did not find anything for Anna Mitrova or her husband, Michal Andras.

                                I have checked all the records for Laskovce twice and am slowly working my way through the records for Michalovce, as you suggested. That will take me a while because there are many records. I will also try to write to someone in the town and will check online to see if there is an address for a town hall or town offices. Perhaps the rest of the records are lost and I am thankful to have the information I do.

                                Thank you both for all your help!

                                Martha

                                > a.. The Zborov records go back to 1695. They are online; click on the headings below to get to them.
                                > b..
                                > c.. Slovakia Church Books, 1592-1910
                                > d.. Roman Catholic
                                > e.. Bardejov
                                > f.. Zborov: Hutka

                              • martha.andras
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jun 12, 2011
                                  Thank you Christine - I found it! I was trying to access it before through the Pilot but was unsuccessful. Thanks for your help!

                                  Martha