Re: Need help deciphering surname

  • John
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
      >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

      I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
    • John
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
        >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

        You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
      • Diane Dazio
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
          I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
          agree it is Oszczity.

          I found her death on this page:
          https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

          I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
          in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
          word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
          listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
          the last entry on the page,  #38.

          Thanks!
          Diane

          ________________________________
          >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
          >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
          >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
          >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
          >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
          >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

          I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

        • Ladislav Rosival
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
            The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
            Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

            Ladislav

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
              Oooh....thanks!

              Diane

              ________________________________
              The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
              Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

              Ladislav

              >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage
              registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).�
              There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I
              thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean
              anything to anyone? <<<

              You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers
              of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad
              Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.

            • patskanovo
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                Dennis