Re: Need help deciphering surname

  • Diane Dazio
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
      Sorry Elaine, I think I accidentally replied directly to you instead of the
      list.

      Looking further, I think her last name was Oszczity.  There are people with this
      last name on Facebook, so I guess it is a legitimate surname.  I found her death
      on this page:
      https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

      I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
      in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
      word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
      listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  Again,
      it is the last entry on the page,. #38.

      Thanks!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
        >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

        I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
      • John
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
          >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

          You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
        • Diane Dazio
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
            I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
            agree it is Oszczity.

            I found her death on this page:
            https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

            I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
            in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
            word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
            listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
            the last entry on the page,  #38.

            Thanks!
            Diane

            ________________________________
            >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
            >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
            >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
            >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
            >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
            >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

            I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

          • Ladislav Rosival
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
              The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
              Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

              Ladislav

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                Oooh....thanks!

                Diane

                ________________________________
                The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                Ladislav

                >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage
                registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).�
                There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I
                thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean
                anything to anyone? <<<

                You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers
                of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad
                Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.

              • patskanovo
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                  I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                  BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                  Dennis