Re: Need help deciphering surname

  • Diane Dazio
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
      Sorry Elaine, I think I accidentally replied directly to you instead of the
      list.

      Looking further, I think her last name was Oszczity.  There are people with this
      last name on Facebook, so I guess it is a legitimate surname.  I found her death
      on this page:
      https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

      I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
      in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
      word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
      listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  Again,
      it is the last entry on the page,. #38.

      Thanks!

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
        Diane, it looks like this is a fairly common name in the village. I see
        several on just this one page (Mihal, Zsuzsanna, Istvan). I agree that it is
        difficult to read but my best guess is Oszczity. Radix shows the surname
        Oszczyti in Felso-Dios, the Hungarian name for Horne Oresany. The Slovak
        spelling would be somewhat different, but others would be better at figuring
        this out than I would be.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
          I went to the marriage records hoping to find a clearer image. Based upon film #947 pages 12/32 and 7/32, I make it to be Oszczily. Janet's reference makes my L a T.
        • curtbocha
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
            Diane,
            I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. Americans may find this difficult but Slovaks see the difference immediately. See the examples throughout the page. Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. In other words, the name is still pronounced the same, but it is the spelling in modern Slovak alphabet that is different.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane Dazio <daziofamily@...> wrote:

            > I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.� This is my great-great
            > grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure� out the
            > last name.� Maybe Oszerity?
            > �
            > https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113
            >

            > She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.
            >
            > I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Diane

          • Janet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
              I would guess that the Slovak version of Oszczity would be Oscity. There are
              a few references for this name in the U.S. census and draft records
              indicating that it is Slovak. I do not find any references for Oscily or
              other names beginning with Oscil. While I agree that the letter could be
              read either as a "t" or an "l," I think the "t" is more likely.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
              • John
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                  >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

                  You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
                • Diane Dazio
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                    I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
                    agree it is Oszczity.

                    I found her death on this page:
                    https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

                    I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
                    in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
                    word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
                    listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
                    the last entry on the page,  #38.

                    Thanks!
                    Diane

                    ________________________________
                    >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
                    >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
                    >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
                    >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
                    >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
                    >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                    I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

                  • Ladislav Rosival
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                      The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                      Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                      Ladislav

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                        Oooh....thanks!

                        Diane

                        ________________________________
                        The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                        Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                        Ladislav

                        >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage
                        registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).�
                        There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I
                        thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean
                        anything to anyone? <<<

                        You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers
                        of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad
                        Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.

                      • patskanovo
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                          I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                          BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                          Dennis