Need help deciphering surname

  • Diane Dazio
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 8 6:43 AM
      I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.  This is my great-great
      grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure  out the
      last name.  Maybe Oszerity?

      https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113

      She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.

      I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.

      Thanks,
      Diane

    • Diane Dazio
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 8 7:53 AM
        Sorry Elaine, I think I accidentally replied directly to you instead of the
        list.

        Looking further, I think her last name was Oszczity.  There are people with this
        last name on Facebook, so I guess it is a legitimate surname.  I found her death
        on this page:
        https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

        I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
        in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
        word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
        listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  Again,
        it is the last entry on the page,. #38.

        Thanks!

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 8 7:58 AM
          Diane, it looks like this is a fairly common name in the village. I see
          several on just this one page (Mihal, Zsuzsanna, Istvan). I agree that it is
          difficult to read but my best guess is Oszczity. Radix shows the surname
          Oszczyti in Felso-Dios, the Hungarian name for Horne Oresany. The Slovak
          spelling would be somewhat different, but others would be better at figuring
          this out than I would be.

          Janet

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8 8:14 AM
            I went to the marriage records hoping to find a clearer image. Based upon film #947 pages 12/32 and 7/32, I make it to be Oszczily. Janet's reference makes my L a T.
          • curtbocha
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8 9:23 AM
              Diane,
              I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. Americans may find this difficult but Slovaks see the difference immediately. See the examples throughout the page. Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. In other words, the name is still pronounced the same, but it is the spelling in modern Slovak alphabet that is different.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane Dazio <daziofamily@...> wrote:

              > I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.� This is my great-great
              > grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure� out the
              > last name.� Maybe Oszerity?
              > �
              > https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113
              >

              > She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.
              >
              > I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Diane

            • Janet Kozlay
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8 9:33 AM
                I would guess that the Slovak version of Oszczity would be Oscity. There are
                a few references for this name in the U.S. census and draft records
                indicating that it is Slovak. I do not find any references for Oscily or
                other names beginning with Oscil. While I agree that the letter could be
                read either as a "t" or an "l," I think the "t" is more likely.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 8 9:58 AM
                  >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                  I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8 10:40 AM
                    >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

                    You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
                  • Diane Dazio
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 8 10:49 AM
                      I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
                      agree it is Oszczity.

                      I found her death on this page:
                      https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

                      I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
                      in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
                      word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
                      listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
                      the last entry on the page,  #38.

                      Thanks!
                      Diane

                      ________________________________
                      >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
                      >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
                      >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
                      >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
                      >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
                      >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                      I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

                    • Ladislav Rosival
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 8 11:01 AM
                        The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                        Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                        Ladislav

                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 8 11:12 AM
                          Oooh....thanks!

                          Diane

                          ________________________________
                          The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                          Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                          Ladislav

                          >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage
                          registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).�
                          There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I
                          thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean
                          anything to anyone? <<<

                          You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers
                          of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad
                          Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.

                        • patskanovo
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 9 4:12 PM
                            I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                            BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                            Dennis