Re: [S-R] Re: Family Search/Lost Records

  • Charlotte Conjelko
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 7, 2011
      I take no offense to your words.  With 30 years in public relations, I'm pretty good at "crafting" my words.  I endorse your suggestion that others who give their feedback do so respectfully and constructively. And I do encourage others to give their feedback so LDS can make the records more accessible.

      Charlotte

      From: Charlotte Conjelko <charr61pribish@...>

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:17 PM

      Thanks for the "Feedback" information!  I too have been frustrated about the change and can no longer find the Snakov church records of my maternal side.

      Feedback, here I come!

      Charlotte

      From: Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...>

      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:09 PM

      One more thought on this.  There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback".  We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

      Peg

      On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

      > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

      > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.

      > Steve

      > --

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

      > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!

      > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.

      > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...

      > > Is there anything else I can do?

      > > Dennis

    • Diane Dazio
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
        I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.  This is my great-great
        grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure  out the
        last name.  Maybe Oszerity?

        https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113

        She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.

        I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.

        Thanks,
        Diane

      • Diane Dazio
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
          Sorry Elaine, I think I accidentally replied directly to you instead of the
          list.

          Looking further, I think her last name was Oszczity.  There are people with this
          last name on Facebook, so I guess it is a legitimate surname.  I found her death
          on this page:
          https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

          I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
          in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
          word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
          listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  Again,
          it is the last entry on the page,. #38.

          Thanks!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
            Diane, it looks like this is a fairly common name in the village. I see
            several on just this one page (Mihal, Zsuzsanna, Istvan). I agree that it is
            difficult to read but my best guess is Oszczity. Radix shows the surname
            Oszczyti in Felso-Dios, the Hungarian name for Horne Oresany. The Slovak
            spelling would be somewhat different, but others would be better at figuring
            this out than I would be.

            Janet

            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
              I went to the marriage records hoping to find a clearer image. Based upon film #947 pages 12/32 and 7/32, I make it to be Oszczily. Janet's reference makes my L a T.
            • curtbocha
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                Diane,
                I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. Americans may find this difficult but Slovaks see the difference immediately. See the examples throughout the page. Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. In other words, the name is still pronounced the same, but it is the spelling in modern Slovak alphabet that is different.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane Dazio <daziofamily@...> wrote:

                > I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.� This is my great-great
                > grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure� out the
                > last name.� Maybe Oszerity?
                > �
                > https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113
                >

                > She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.
                >
                > I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Diane

              • Janet Kozlay
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                  I would guess that the Slovak version of Oszczity would be Oscity. There are
                  a few references for this name in the U.S. census and draft records
                  indicating that it is Slovak. I do not find any references for Oscily or
                  other names beginning with Oscil. While I agree that the letter could be
                  read either as a "t" or an "l," I think the "t" is more likely.

                  Janet

                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                    >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                    I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
                  • John
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                      >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

                      You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
                    • Diane Dazio
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                        I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
                        agree it is Oszczity.

                        I found her death on this page:
                        https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

                        I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
                        in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
                        word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
                        listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
                        the last entry on the page,  #38.

                        Thanks!
                        Diane

                        ________________________________
                        >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
                        >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
                        >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
                        >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
                        >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
                        >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                        I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

                      • Ladislav Rosival
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                          The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                          Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                          Ladislav

                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                            Oooh....thanks!

                            Diane

                            ________________________________
                            The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                            Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                            Ladislav

                            >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage
                            registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).�
                            There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I
                            thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean
                            anything to anyone? <<<

                            You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers
                            of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad
                            Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.

                          • patskanovo
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                              I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                              BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                              Dennis