[S-R] Re: Family Search/Lost Records

  • patskanovo
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
      Dear Dennis,

      Case#2154949

      About fifteen minutes after our last Email to you FamilySearch
      Headquarters notified us of the temporary withdrawal of a lot of the
      Slovakian records for enhancement and of additional records that are to
      be released in the next few days.
      However new technology sometimes throws us an unforseen curve ball, and
      record that our affiliates have sometimes need to be tweaked in order to
      work in this ever changing world of information technology.
      By way of information over one hundred and seventy new collections
      containing several hundred million individual records have been since
      the beginning of this year and we are constantly adding to our
      collections.
      Please watch patiently for these records to come on line.

      Sincerely
      FamilySearch
      support@...
      <mhtml:{D061FCD8-46EB-4F16-8A39-1008EDBE4A65}mid://00000007/!x-usc:mailt\
      o:support@...>

      > I am no computer whiz but try clearing your cookies.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" ddhalusker@ wrote:
      > >

      > > The link to the old site John Q sent to me will not "Stick" in my
      > > favorites/bookmarks.
      > >
      > > The link keeps reverting to the new search site....?
      > >
      > > Dennis

    • nilo3rak
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
        Yesterday I went to the "enhanced" Family search, Slovakia records, to see what the fuss was all about.

        That site was a complete disaster, incomplete with only a few main parish records. I wrote to Family Search and told them what I had found, and more importantly what I had not found.

        It came as no surprise that they shut the site down, and hopefully, off to the shop for renovation and repair.

        Point well taken, that when something is not right, it is right to respectfully speak up.

        My next feedback will be a "thank you" for listening and making things right.

        Carolyn

        > Dear Dennis,
        >
        > Case#2154949
        >
        > About fifteen minutes after our last Email to you FamilySearch
        > Headquarters notified us of the temporary withdrawal of a lot of the
        > Slovakian records for enhancement and of additional records that are to
        > be released in the next few days.
        > However new technology sometimes throws us an unforseen curve ball, and
        > record that our affiliates have sometimes need to be tweaked in order to
        > work in this ever changing world of information technology.
        > By way of information over one hundred and seventy new collections
        > containing several hundred million individual records have been since
        > the beginning of this year and we are constantly adding to our
        > collections.
        > Please watch patiently for these records to come on line.
        >
        > Sincerely
        > FamilySearch
        > support@...
        > <mhtml:{D061FCD8-46EB-4F16-8A39-1008EDBE4A65}mid://00000007/!x-usc:mailt\
        > o:support@...>

        > > I am no computer whiz but try clearing your cookies.
        > >
        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" ddhalusker@ wrote:
        > > >

        > > > The link to the old site John Q sent to me will not "Stick" in my
        > > > favorites/bookmarks.
        > > >
        > > > The link keeps reverting to the new search site....?
        > > >
        > > > Dennis

      • Charlotte Conjelko
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 7, 2011
          I take no offense to your words.  With 30 years in public relations, I'm pretty good at "crafting" my words.  I endorse your suggestion that others who give their feedback do so respectfully and constructively. And I do encourage others to give their feedback so LDS can make the records more accessible.

          Charlotte

          From: Charlotte Conjelko <charr61pribish@...>

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:17 PM

          Thanks for the "Feedback" information!  I too have been frustrated about the change and can no longer find the Snakov church records of my maternal side.

          Feedback, here I come!

          Charlotte

          From: Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...>

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

          Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:09 PM

          One more thought on this.  There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback".  We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

          Peg

          On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

          > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

          > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.

          > Steve

          > --

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

          > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!

          > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.

          > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...

          > > Is there anything else I can do?

          > > Dennis

        • Diane Dazio
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
            I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.  This is my great-great
            grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure  out the
            last name.  Maybe Oszerity?

            https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113

            She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.

            I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.

            Thanks,
            Diane

          • Diane Dazio
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
              Sorry Elaine, I think I accidentally replied directly to you instead of the
              list.

              Looking further, I think her last name was Oszczity.  There are people with this
              last name on Facebook, so I guess it is a legitimate surname.  I found her death
              on this page:
              https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

              I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
              in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
              word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
              listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  Again,
              it is the last entry on the page,. #38.

              Thanks!

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                Diane, it looks like this is a fairly common name in the village. I see
                several on just this one page (Mihal, Zsuzsanna, Istvan). I agree that it is
                difficult to read but my best guess is Oszczity. Radix shows the surname
                Oszczyti in Felso-Dios, the Hungarian name for Horne Oresany. The Slovak
                spelling would be somewhat different, but others would be better at figuring
                this out than I would be.

                Janet

                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                  I went to the marriage records hoping to find a clearer image. Based upon film #947 pages 12/32 and 7/32, I make it to be Oszczily. Janet's reference makes my L a T.
                • curtbocha
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                    Diane,
                    I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. Americans may find this difficult but Slovaks see the difference immediately. See the examples throughout the page. Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. In other words, the name is still pronounced the same, but it is the spelling in modern Slovak alphabet that is different.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane Dazio <daziofamily@...> wrote:

                    > I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.� This is my great-great
                    > grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure� out the
                    > last name.� Maybe Oszerity?
                    > �
                    > https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113
                    >

                    > She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.
                    >
                    > I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Diane

                  • Janet Kozlay
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                      I would guess that the Slovak version of Oszczity would be Oscity. There are
                      a few references for this name in the U.S. census and draft records
                      indicating that it is Slovak. I do not find any references for Oscily or
                      other names beginning with Oscil. While I agree that the letter could be
                      read either as a "t" or an "l," I think the "t" is more likely.

                      Janet

                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                        >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                        I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                          >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

                          You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
                        • Diane Dazio
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                            I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
                            agree it is Oszczity.

                            I found her death on this page:
                            https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

                            I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
                            in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
                            word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
                            listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
                            the last entry on the page,  #38.

                            Thanks!
                            Diane

                            ________________________________
                            >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
                            >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
                            >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
                            >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
                            >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
                            >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                            I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

                          • Ladislav Rosival
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                              The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                              Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                              Ladislav

                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                Oooh....thanks!

                                Diane

                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                                  I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                                  BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                                  Dennis