[S-R] Re: Looking for Cuculich or Randick

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
      The spelling in Croatian is Kukulic. You can find many of the Croatian family in immigritation records.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Kukuk <takukuk@...> wrote:

      > Curt, have you confirmed that same spelling in any Hungarian records? Any chance it was "Kukuk" or "Kuckuck"?
      >
      > If that spelling may have changed after their departure for Chicago, we might have some records to compare. Thank you
      >
      > (takukuk@... To take this offline)
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:34 AM, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hmm. Not much to go on. They appear in the 1930 census in Chicago in which they say they are Croatian and born in Croatia. What makes you think they were Czech or Slovak?
      > >
      > > Curt B.
      > >
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
      > > >
      > > > Matt Byrne

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
        Thomas Cuculich was naturalized as a U.S. citizen by the ciruit court of Cook County (Chicago) Illinois on Oct 7 1892. He was living then at 6707 S. State St. Chicago. His witness was Matthew Sablich.

        You need to track down these records to get a copy of his petition for citizenship. This information is just found in the name index to the citizenship records of Cook County.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

        > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
        >
        > Matt Byrne

      • Matthew Byrne
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
          Thank you Thomas for your help! I will try and locate these records. The
          family name was changed to Cusulick somewhere in his son John's life. I will
          join the Croatian Group, thanks again!

          ________________________________
          Thomas Cuculich was naturalized as a U.S. citizen by the ciruit court of Cook
          County (Chicago) Illinois on Oct 7 1892. He was living then at 6707 S. State
          St. Chicago. His witness was Matthew Sablich.

          You need to track down these records to get a copy of his petition for
          citizenship. This information is just found in the name index to the
          citizenship records of Cook County.

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

          > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some
          >point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both
          >born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they
          >came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can
          >help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John
          >Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his
          >lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information
          >would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
          >

          > Matt Byrne

        • Matthew Byrne
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
            Curt-
            Every time I look up Thomas Cuculich on Cook County's Records of Naturalization
            web site, his name does not come up. Where did you find the information of his
            address and witness?

            Matt Byrne

            ________________________________
            Thomas Cuculich was naturalized as a U.S. citizen by the ciruit court of Cook
            County (Chicago) Illinois on Oct 7 1892. He was living then at 6707 S. State
            St. Chicago. His witness was Matthew Sablich.

            You need to track down these records to get a copy of his petition for
            citizenship. This information is just found in the name index to the
            citizenship records of Cook County.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

            > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some
            >point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both
            >born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they
            >came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can
            >help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John
            >Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his
            >lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information
            >would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
            >

            > Matt Byrne

          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
              Matt,
              from Curt B.
              Here:

              Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.;Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950 (M1285); Microfilm Serial: M1285; Microfilm Roll: 30.

              Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
              Anchorage Genealogical Society
              California State Genealogical Alliance
              Illinois State Genealogical Society
              Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
              Anchorage Genealogical Society
              California State Genealogical Alliance
              Illinois State Genealogical Society

              You will also find his death certificate on file with the Clerk of Cook County, Illinois. He died on 19 Nov. 1955.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Byrne <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

              > Curt-
              > Every time I look up Thomas Cuculich on Cook County's Records of Naturalization
              > web site, his name does not come up. Where did you find the information of his
              > address and witness?
              >
              > Matt Byrne
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Evelyn Marsh
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                Perfect! Sounds like a great plan and I'm looking forward to lunch with you two! Weather has been great the last few days - managed to do a little gardening yesterday - a little because that is what they could afford. Today I'm making brisket with Cody and doing laudry to get ready for my trip home tomorrow.
                love,
                Mom

                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                From: curt67boc@...
                Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 04:39:23 +0000

                Matt,
                from Curt B.
                Here:

                Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.;Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950 (M1285); Microfilm Serial: M1285; Microfilm Roll: 30.

                Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
                Anchorage Genealogical Society
                California State Genealogical Alliance
                Illinois State Genealogical Society
                Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
                Anchorage Genealogical Society
                California State Genealogical Alliance
                Illinois State Genealogical Society

                You will also find his death certificate on file with the Clerk of Cook County, Illinois. He died on 19 Nov. 1955.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Byrne <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

                > Curt-
                > Every time I look up Thomas Cuculich on Cook County's Records of Naturalization
                > web site, his name does not come up. Where did you find the information of his
                > address and witness?
                >
                > Matt Byrne
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Evelyn Marsh
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                  OOPPSS! Sorry about that - hit the wrong email!

                • Melissa
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                    I had a coworker who's last name was Cuculich and lived in Great Lakes area. I emailed him and this is what he was able to tell me. Not sure what you might not already know....

                    "Lets start with MY name...actually MY name as my Grandfather spelled it was Cuculic....the "H" was added later by my father....NOW as for YOUR Cuculich.....INTERESTING....there is another family who spelled their name Cuculich......the man who is the family patrich name is Thomas...he is a distant cousin....we were never close to that part of the family....ALSO...there was a few years ago a Thomas Cuculich who was the highway/road commissioner..again a distant cousin....Sorry I could not be more help...."
                  • Matthew Byrne
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                      Melissa-
                      Thank you. My family all settled on the southside of Chicago back in the 1890s.
                      I haven't seen any spellings of the name as Cuculic. Only Cuculich and
                      Cusulick. Cusulick first appeared on my great grandfather's death certificate
                      (1947) and was officially my grandmother's name. Ironically, I googled the name
                      Thomas Cuculich last night and the same Thomas Cuculich that is the DePage
                      County Tranportation commissioner came up. His office is in the same town that
                      I currently live in! Small world right?

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 7, 2011
                        Matthew --
                        There are lots of resources available for those who passed through Chicago.  Are
                        you located in the vicinity?  If so:
                        1:  Nemecek Library in the Masaryk Building 5901 W. 22 Pl, Cicero.  Index to
                        Denni Hlasatel newspaper; Kostka eulogy note cards; Linhart Funeral Home
                        index..  Next open on the 2nd Sat. of Sept., 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
                        2:  Naperville Family History Center.  Microfilm of almost all Chicago church
                        records in permanent collection.  Open T-Sat.
                        3:  IRAD, Northeastern Illinois Univ Library, St. Louis at Bryn Mawr, in the
                        basement.  Open 9-4, M-F.
                        4:  Cook county Circuit Court Archives -- behind the Picasso sculpture in the
                        Loop.
                        5:  Cook County Recorder of Deeds -- across the street from the archives on the
                        west, in the basement.  Search by PIN of the address.
                        6:  Look at a photo of the house where they lived online at the Cook County
                        Assessor web site.

                        Margo