Looking for Cuculich or Randick

  • yearofthecub
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2011
      I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!

      Matt Byrne
    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2011
        Hmm. Not much to go on. They appear in the 1930 census in Chicago in which they say they are Croatian and born in Croatia. What makes you think they were Czech or Slovak?

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

        > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
        >
        > Matt Byrne

      • Matt Byrne
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
          I have a copy of the certificate of death for John J Cuculich who died on November 8th, 1947 in Chicago in an accident involving street car. It says under his Father's and Mother's name and info, states they were born in Czechosolvakia, town being unknown. Could this have been a misunderstanding when the Death Certificate was being made up? There seems to be confusion in my family on whether this side of the family is either from Croatia or the Czech. Thanks for your help..

          Matt Byrne

          Hmm. Not much to go on. They appear in the 1930 census in Chicago in which they say they are Croatian and born in Croatia. What makes you think they were Czech or Slovak?

          Curt B.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

          > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
          >
          > Matt Byrne

          Reply to sender |

        • John
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
            The Randic surname is predominately from Croatia when searched on Ellis Island using the http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html front end.
          • CurtB
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
              Matt,
              This is likely just a family reporting error. The census records from 1920 and 1930 in Chicago, all give their language as Croatian, and birthplace in Croatia, though no village is named. You need to pursue all these leads as well as naturalization or citizenship records where you are likely to find much more.

              And perhaps join a Croatian group.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Matt Byrne <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

              > I have a copy of the certificate of death for John J Cuculich who died on November 8th, 1947 in Chicago in an accident involving street car. It says under his Father's and Mother's name and info, states they were born in Czechosolvakia, town being unknown. Could this have been a misunderstanding when the Death Certificate was being made up? There seems to be confusion in my family on whether this side of the family is either from Croatia or the Czech. Thanks for your help..
              >
              > Matt Byrne

            • Tom Kukuk
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
                Curt, have you confirmed that same spelling in any Hungarian records? Any chance it was "Kukuk" or "Kuckuck"?

                If that spelling may have changed after their departure for Chicago, we might have some records to compare. Thank you

                (takukuk@.... To take this offline)

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:34 AM, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:

                > Hmm. Not much to go on. They appear in the 1930 census in Chicago in which they say they are Croatian and born in Croatia. What makes you think they were Czech or Slovak?
                >
                > Curt B.
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
                > >
                > > Matt Byrne

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
                  The spelling in Croatian is Kukulic. You can find many of the Croatian family in immigritation records.

                  Curt B.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Kukuk <takukuk@...> wrote:

                  > Curt, have you confirmed that same spelling in any Hungarian records? Any chance it was "Kukuk" or "Kuckuck"?
                  >
                  > If that spelling may have changed after their departure for Chicago, we might have some records to compare. Thank you
                  >
                  > (takukuk@... To take this offline)
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Jun 5, 2011, at 12:34 AM, "CurtB" <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hmm. Not much to go on. They appear in the 1930 census in Chicago in which they say they are Croatian and born in Croatia. What makes you think they were Czech or Slovak?
                  > >
                  > > Curt B.
                  > >
                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
                  > > >
                  > > > Matt Byrne

                • CurtB
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
                    Thomas Cuculich was naturalized as a U.S. citizen by the ciruit court of Cook County (Chicago) Illinois on Oct 7 1892. He was living then at 6707 S. State St. Chicago. His witness was Matthew Sablich.

                    You need to track down these records to get a copy of his petition for citizenship. This information is just found in the name index to the citizenship records of Cook County.

                    Curt B.

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

                    > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
                    >
                    > Matt Byrne

                  • Matthew Byrne
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
                      Thank you Thomas for your help! I will try and locate these records. The
                      family name was changed to Cusulick somewhere in his son John's life. I will
                      join the Croatian Group, thanks again!

                      ________________________________
                      Thomas Cuculich was naturalized as a U.S. citizen by the ciruit court of Cook
                      County (Chicago) Illinois on Oct 7 1892. He was living then at 6707 S. State
                      St. Chicago. His witness was Matthew Sablich.

                      You need to track down these records to get a copy of his petition for
                      citizenship. This information is just found in the name index to the
                      citizenship records of Cook County.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

                      > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some
                      >point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both
                      >born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they
                      >came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can
                      >help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John
                      >Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his
                      >lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information
                      >would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
                      >

                      > Matt Byrne

                    • Matthew Byrne
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
                        Curt-
                        Every time I look up Thomas Cuculich on Cook County's Records of Naturalization
                        web site, his name does not come up. Where did you find the information of his
                        address and witness?

                        Matt Byrne

                        ________________________________
                        Thomas Cuculich was naturalized as a U.S. citizen by the ciruit court of Cook
                        County (Chicago) Illinois on Oct 7 1892. He was living then at 6707 S. State
                        St. Chicago. His witness was Matthew Sablich.

                        You need to track down these records to get a copy of his petition for
                        citizenship. This information is just found in the name index to the
                        citizenship records of Cook County.

                        Curt B.

                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "yearofthecub" <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

                        > I don't have much information on my Czech relatives that came to the US at some
                        >point around the 1880s. Thomas Cuculich and his wife Mary Randick were both
                        >born in Czechosolvakia. I don't have their birth dates or where in Czech they
                        >came from. I would like to know if there are any useful web sites that can
                        >help. I do know that they moved to Chicago and had at least one child, John
                        >Cuculich in 1890. The name changed to Cusulick at some point of either his
                        >lifetime or this children. As far as Thomas or his wife Mary, any information
                        >would be good, DOB, home town, or the death certificates. Thank you so much!
                        >

                        > Matt Byrne

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2011
                          Matt,
                          from Curt B.
                          Here:

                          Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.;Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950 (M1285); Microfilm Serial: M1285; Microfilm Roll: 30.

                          Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
                          Anchorage Genealogical Society
                          California State Genealogical Alliance
                          Illinois State Genealogical Society
                          Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
                          Anchorage Genealogical Society
                          California State Genealogical Alliance
                          Illinois State Genealogical Society

                          You will also find his death certificate on file with the Clerk of Cook County, Illinois. He died on 19 Nov. 1955.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Byrne <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

                          > Curt-
                          > Every time I look up Thomas Cuculich on Cook County's Records of Naturalization
                          > web site, his name does not come up. Where did you find the information of his
                          > address and witness?
                          >
                          > Matt Byrne
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                        • Evelyn Marsh
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                            Perfect! Sounds like a great plan and I'm looking forward to lunch with you two! Weather has been great the last few days - managed to do a little gardening yesterday - a little because that is what they could afford. Today I'm making brisket with Cody and doing laudry to get ready for my trip home tomorrow.
                            love,
                            Mom

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                            From: curt67boc@...
                            Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 04:39:23 +0000

                            Matt,
                            from Curt B.
                            Here:

                            Source Citation: National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.;Soundex Index to Naturalization Petitions for the United States District and Circuit Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Immigration and Naturalization Service District 9, 1840-1950 (M1285); Microfilm Serial: M1285; Microfilm Roll: 30.

                            Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
                            Anchorage Genealogical Society
                            California State Genealogical Alliance
                            Illinois State Genealogical Society
                            Ancestry.com. U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project) [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors in partnership with the following organizations:
                            Anchorage Genealogical Society
                            California State Genealogical Alliance
                            Illinois State Genealogical Society

                            You will also find his death certificate on file with the Clerk of Cook County, Illinois. He died on 19 Nov. 1955.

                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Byrne <yearofthecub@...> wrote:

                            > Curt-
                            > Every time I look up Thomas Cuculich on Cook County's Records of Naturalization
                            > web site, his name does not come up. Where did you find the information of his
                            > address and witness?
                            >
                            > Matt Byrne
                            >

                            > ________________________________

                          • Evelyn Marsh
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                              OOPPSS! Sorry about that - hit the wrong email!

                            • Melissa
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                                I had a coworker who's last name was Cuculich and lived in Great Lakes area. I emailed him and this is what he was able to tell me. Not sure what you might not already know....

                                "Lets start with MY name...actually MY name as my Grandfather spelled it was Cuculic....the "H" was added later by my father....NOW as for YOUR Cuculich.....INTERESTING....there is another family who spelled their name Cuculich......the man who is the family patrich name is Thomas...he is a distant cousin....we were never close to that part of the family....ALSO...there was a few years ago a Thomas Cuculich who was the highway/road commissioner..again a distant cousin....Sorry I could not be more help...."
                              • Matthew Byrne
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 6, 2011
                                  Melissa-
                                  Thank you. My family all settled on the southside of Chicago back in the 1890s.
                                  I haven't seen any spellings of the name as Cuculic. Only Cuculich and
                                  Cusulick. Cusulick first appeared on my great grandfather's death certificate
                                  (1947) and was officially my grandmother's name. Ironically, I googled the name
                                  Thomas Cuculich last night and the same Thomas Cuculich that is the DePage
                                  County Tranportation commissioner came up. His office is in the same town that
                                  I currently live in! Small world right?

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 7, 2011
                                    Matthew --
                                    There are lots of resources available for those who passed through Chicago.  Are
                                    you located in the vicinity?  If so:
                                    1:  Nemecek Library in the Masaryk Building 5901 W. 22 Pl, Cicero.  Index to
                                    Denni Hlasatel newspaper; Kostka eulogy note cards; Linhart Funeral Home
                                    index..  Next open on the 2nd Sat. of Sept., 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
                                    2:  Naperville Family History Center.  Microfilm of almost all Chicago church
                                    records in permanent collection.  Open T-Sat.
                                    3:  IRAD, Northeastern Illinois Univ Library, St. Louis at Bryn Mawr, in the
                                    basement.  Open 9-4, M-F.
                                    4:  Cook county Circuit Court Archives -- behind the Picasso sculpture in the
                                    Loop.
                                    5:  Cook County Recorder of Deeds -- across the street from the archives on the
                                    west, in the basement.  Search by PIN of the address.
                                    6:  Look at a photo of the house where they lived online at the Cook County
                                    Assessor web site.

                                    Margo