Re: [S-R] RECORD OF MIXED MARRIAGES

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
      I've run across these before, most recently in the Spisska Bela RC
      records. I'd have to check my notes, but as I recall, it was for the
      time period from about 1880 to early 1900s. There were some pages
      that had diagonal lines drawn through some couples' entries, and X
      over the entry number, but to be honest I didn't do an analysis of the
      page to determine what was going on with that; it didn't affect the
      info I was looking for, and I had a time constraint.

      There was also a section in the parish register for people who left
      the Catholic church.

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

      > While going through the Roman Catholic records of Plavnica I came
      > across a very different page “Protocolum Mixtorum Matrimonum et
      > Prolium” / Record of Mixed Marriages and Descendants.
      > I was wondering if of members have come across such a page in the
      > parish records they have viewed.
      > On the pages areas were “X” or “---" out. The “X” through the
      > marriage record and the “---“ through the descendants, but not all.
      > It appears that the mixed marriages were between Roman Catholics
      > and A Conf. or Evangel. The first entry was made in 1778 and the
      > last in 1845. There were 40 entries over six pages.
      > Since these pages were within the Roman Catholic records I am
      > wondering if it is possible that the priest kept track of those
      > marriages and descendants that remained Roman Catholic and those
      > that did not got the “X” or “---“ through their name.
      > Hopefully someone well versed in Latin will contact me. I would
      > like to send them the pages to examine and explain.
      > Michael Mojher
    • Ladislav Rosival
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
        It was quite normal that in a mixed marriage the sons followed the religion of the father and daughters the religion of mother.

        In Turiec county was this the rule.

        Ladislav

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 7, 2011
          Hi Michael,  There is also a record of mixed marriages 1843-1906 in the Roman
          Catholic records for Sokut.  Right now Sokut seems to have been "lost" in the
          "enhanced" family search but you can still find it on the old version.
          Linda