RECORD OF MIXED MARRIAGES

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4 12:07 PM
      While going through the Roman Catholic records of Plavnica I came across a very different page “Protocolum Mixtorum Matrimonum et Prolium” / Record of Mixed Marriages and Descendants.
      I was wondering if of members have come across such a page in the parish records they have viewed.
      On the pages areas were “X” or “---" out. The “X” through the marriage record and the “---“ through the descendants, but not all.
      It appears that the mixed marriages were between Roman Catholics and A Conf. or Evangel. The first entry was made in 1778 and the last in 1845. There were 40 entries over six pages.
      Since these pages were within the Roman Catholic records I am wondering if it is possible that the priest kept track of those marriages and descendants that remained Roman Catholic and those that did not got the “X” or “---“ through their name.
      Hopefully someone well versed in Latin will contact me. I would like to send them the pages to examine and explain.
      Michael Mojher

    • patskanovo
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4 12:34 PM
        Bumbed into your Hurajt/Huraj post Mike....there is a 1900 ncensus in Cleveland,Oh.that is indexed and has both Hurajt and Huraj's living doors away from each other.

        I believe them to be the same family...

        Both living on Cross Street.

        http://www.us-census.org/pub-ftp/oh/cuyahoga/1900/008-143a.txt

        Dennis

        > While going through the Roman Catholic records of Plavnica I came across a very different page “Protocolum Mixtorum Matrimonum et Prolium” / Record of Mixed Marriages and Descendants.
        > I was wondering if of members have come across such a page in the parish records they have viewed.
        > On the pages areas were “X” or “---" out. The “X” through the marriage record and the “---“ through the descendants, but not all.
        > It appears that the mixed marriages were between Roman Catholics and A Conf. or Evangel. The first entry was made in 1778 and the last in 1845. There were 40 entries over six pages.
        > Since these pages were within the Roman Catholic records I am wondering if it is possible that the priest kept track of those marriages and descendants that remained Roman Catholic and those that did not got the “X” or “---“ through their name.
        > Hopefully someone well versed in Latin will contact me. I would like to send them the pages to examine and explain.
        > Michael Mojher

      • Margo Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4 12:37 PM
          Yes, Michael, I have found the mixed marriage records in the parish of Slovenske
          Pravno (Turiec County) which date from about 1809 to 1871, not every year.  The
          entry includes the names of the parents, which is the RC and which is the AC,
          the names of each child and date of birth.  It's a wonderful resource.
          One family is perplexing:   the register includes only the daughter, but not the
          2 sons.  I know she was raised and practiced RC.  I suspect that her brothers
          might have been raised and practiced AC.  [I have looked at the records of at
          least a half dozen other parishes in the same county, and none of them have this
          mixed marriage register.]

          Margo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4 1:00 PM
            I've run across these before, most recently in the Spisska Bela RC
            records. I'd have to check my notes, but as I recall, it was for the
            time period from about 1880 to early 1900s. There were some pages
            that had diagonal lines drawn through some couples' entries, and X
            over the entry number, but to be honest I didn't do an analysis of the
            page to determine what was going on with that; it didn't affect the
            info I was looking for, and I had a time constraint.

            There was also a section in the parish register for people who left
            the Catholic church.

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

            > While going through the Roman Catholic records of Plavnica I came
            > across a very different page “Protocolum Mixtorum Matrimonum et
            > Prolium” / Record of Mixed Marriages and Descendants.
            > I was wondering if of members have come across such a page in the
            > parish records they have viewed.
            > On the pages areas were “X” or “---" out. The “X” through the
            > marriage record and the “---“ through the descendants, but not all.
            > It appears that the mixed marriages were between Roman Catholics
            > and A Conf. or Evangel. The first entry was made in 1778 and the
            > last in 1845. There were 40 entries over six pages.
            > Since these pages were within the Roman Catholic records I am
            > wondering if it is possible that the priest kept track of those
            > marriages and descendants that remained Roman Catholic and those
            > that did not got the “X” or “---“ through their name.
            > Hopefully someone well versed in Latin will contact me. I would
            > like to send them the pages to examine and explain.
            > Michael Mojher
          • Ladislav Rosival
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4 2:28 PM
              It was quite normal that in a mixed marriage the sons followed the religion of the father and daughters the religion of mother.

              In Turiec county was this the rule.

              Ladislav

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7 6:22 AM
                Hi Michael,  There is also a record of mixed marriages 1843-1906 in the Roman
                Catholic records for Sokut.  Right now Sokut seems to have been "lost" in the
                "enhanced" family search but you can still find it on the old version.
                Linda