Re: Village birth records - after microfilms

  • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 1999
      You could also try Ladomirova which is even closer...
    • NBENYO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 1999
        Mark

        The LDS films for Litmanova start with a header page with the label
        "LITMANOVA -- PRESOV ARCHIVES" so I think the matrica are indeed in Presov.

        The question is, would the Presov Archives have any years in addition to what
        the LDS has filmed? Particularly the early 1900's?

        Thanks for any guidance ---
        Nick
      • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 1999
          The Presov Archieves have from the early 1950's and back but not
          necessarily from every village. There was a lot of destruction during
          the WW2 and if the church was destroyed, the records probably went with
          it.

          OBTW, the Matrika is no longer in Presove but in the suburb of Nizny
          Sebastiova. It's in the old Monastery on the right headed towards
          Kapusany.

          happy hunting!
        • John Matsko
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 1999
            When I received some research from the Preshov Archives, they told me I would
            have to go to the village level to get additional information on my father's
            family. There records only went to 1895 in this case, which is the same year
            the LDS records ended. They used the Hungarian census of 1869 to get my great
            grandfather's records. The cut off date may not be true for all areas.

            John

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 1999
              I spoke the priest in my family's village and was told that the
              Communist gov't moved all the records out of the village churches in the
              1950's. This is why the Matrika was established. (maybe the only good
              thing the communists did).

              It is also possible that the records may have been destroyed; i.e. fire,
              flood, war...

              I have been to the Okresni Archive in Nizny Sebastiova, outside of
              Presov on the highway to Kapusany. I found most of the records I was
              looking for a village in Zemplin and 2 others in Saris.

              I did look at the actually record books and not micro-film/fische. There
              were books missing from my villages also.

              Happy hunting!