Hungarian Eastern Orthodox Church

  • jtgen96
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2011
      Might I expect to find birth, marriage, and/or death records for a Rusyn Greek Catholic family from the Presov region in Slovakia within a Hungarian Eastern Orthodox film from the Family History Website?
    • elevans1
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2011
        I wasn't aware that there was an Eastern Orthodox church in Hungary. I could be off-base here, but I was just surprised to see "Orthodox" and "Hungary" in the same sentence. I thought that was the whole point of the Greek Catholic church, to keep the Orthodox customs, but make it "Catholic" so it would be acceptable to Hungary. Are there no Greek Catholic records? Which village are you looking for?

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2011
          We are looking at all villages in the Presov region. My husband's grandfather came from a family of priests. That meant the families moved all over during their lifetimes. It has not been and easy task to try to locate these people given that we have very little information that has survived from our parents generation. That said we have made progress with a lot of help and a lot of toil.

          Their are lots of Greek Catholic records and we have found information on many family members. We are just missing about 3 children of my husband's grandfather's older brother. This brother was educated in the seminary in Budapest and returned to Slovakia to serve.

          We want to find information on one of his sons who we have reason to believe also became a priest.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "elevans1" <rue.ee.4gel41n3@...> wrote:

          > I wasn't aware that there was an Eastern Orthodox church in Hungary. I could be off-base here, but I was just surprised to see "Orthodox" and "Hungary" in the same sentence. I thought that was the whole point of the Greek Catholic church, to keep the Orthodox customs, but make it "Catholic" so it would be acceptable to Hungary. Are there no Greek Catholic records? Which village are you looking for?
          >

          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jtgen96" <jtgen96@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Might I expect to find birth, marriage, and/or death records for a Rusyn Greek Catholic family from the Presov region in Slovakia within a Hungarian Eastern Orthodox film from the Family History Website?

        • martha.andras
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 6, 2011
            Hi!

            I just read your post and wanted to let you know of a resource that might help you. There is a genealogist in Slovakia named Juraj Cisarik. He has written a book on the Genealogy of Byzantine priests in Slovakia from 1600-2010. His website is www.cisarik.com

            Perhaps you may find what you're looking for there!

            Good luck!

            Martha