Kocsis - Balashazi

  • jdkocis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
      According to their Naturalization papers, my grandfather, Janos Kocsis, was born in Zdana (which I belive is now Zsadany, SK), Czechoslovakia on January 26, 1885 and his wife, Elizabeth Balashazi, was born in Toke Terebes (now Trebisov, SK), Czechoslovakia on June 6, 1865. They came to the US in 1902 and were married in St Stephen's Church, Johnstown, Cambria County, Pennsylvania on August 9, 1904.

      I have been unable to locate church records for either Zsadany or Trebisov on the FamilySearch.org web site. Are these records actually online and I'm just not looking in the right place, or will it be necessary to visit a Family History Center?
    • John
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2011
        >>> Janos Kocsis, was born in Zdana (which I belive is now Zsadany, SK), Czechoslovakia on January 26, 1885 <<<

        1) Czechoslovakia did not exist in 1885.

        2) Around Zdana, church records are Refromed (not RC). LDS has Reformed Church parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Ždaňa, Slovakia, formerly Zsadány (also called Hernád-Zsadány), Abauj-Torna, Hungary. Text in Hungarian. Births index includes births for Roman Catholics in Trstené pri Hornáde, Slovakia, formerly Nádasd, Abauj-Torna, Hungary.

        These records are NOT online.

        >>> his wife, Elizabeth Balashazi, was born in Toke Terebes (now Trebisov, SK), Czechoslovakia on June 6, 1865. <<<

        LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations and conversions for TrebiÅ¡ov, Slovakia, formerly TÅ`keterebes, Zemplén, Hungary. They are NOT online.

        >>> I have been unable to locate church records for either Zsadany or Trebisov on the FamilySearch.org web site. <<<

        To locate church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to the LDS web site: http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp The church records cover baptisms (krsteni), marriages (sobeseni) and deaths (zomreli).

        You can go to the Latter Day Saints (LDS) web site to locate your nearest Family History Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You may need to go there in person to order the film(s). In some places, online ordering of films has now been implemented. In about a month, the film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your research.

        TRANSLATION OF HEADERS IN CHURCH RECORDS
        Go to http://www.bmi.net/~latin/ for help with church record translations.

        >>> Are these records actually online and I'm just not looking in the right place, or will it be necessary to visit a Family History Center?
        <<<

        NOT online. YES, you will have to order the films.