Re: Family Search/Lost Records

  • John
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
      >>> Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny! . . . Is there anything else I can do? <<<

      You should be able to access those records via http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1670491&w=0
    • patskanovo
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
        Thanks John, but now I am confused....Are there two differents sights?

        Your link took me straight to them....the link I have book marked in my favorites seems to have changed...Support told me they are only available now under Slovakia Chuch Books.Which is what appears when I click on from my favorites yet I see your link.

        Dennis

        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 1, 2011
          >>> I am confused . . . Are there two differents [sights]?

          Your link took me straight to them . . . the link I have book marked in my favorites seems to have changed . . . <<<

          Yes.
        • stevemartonak
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
            I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

            Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.

            Steve

            > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!
            >
            > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.
            >
            > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...
            >
            > Is there anything else I can do?
            >
            > Dennis

          • Peg's Gmail
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
              You can still get to the old Presov links by Hungarian or Slovakian Place names here:
              http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=1&p=allCollections

              On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

              > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.
              >
              > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > --
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!
              > >
              > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.
              > >
              > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...
              > >
              > > Is there anything else I can do?
              > >
              > > Dennis

            • Peg's Gmail
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
                One more thought on this. There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback". We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

                Peg

                On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

                > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.
                >
                > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.
                >
                > Steve
                >
                > --
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!
                > >
                > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.
                > >
                > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...
                > >
                > > Is there anything else I can do?
                > >
                > > Dennis

              • Charlotte Conjelko
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
                  Thanks for the "Feedback" information!  I too have been frustrated about the change and can no longer find the Snakov church records of my maternal side.

                  Feedback, here I come!

                  Charlotte

                  One more thought on this.  There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback".  We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

                  Peg

                  On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

                  > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.
                  >
                  > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.
                  >
                  > Steve
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!
                  > >
                  > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.
                  > >
                  > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...
                  > >
                  > > Is there anything else I can do?
                  > >
                  > > Dennis

                • Charlotte Conjelko
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
                    Now it's your turn!  I have gone to the Family Search site (familysearch.org) and posted my frustration.  Please let Family Search know you're feelings about the changes.

                    Thanks,
                    Charlotte

                    From: Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...>

                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                    Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:09 PM

                    One more thought on this.  There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback".  We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

                    Peg

                    On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

                    > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

                    > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.

                    > Steve

                    > --

                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                    > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!

                    > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.

                    > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...

                    > > Is there anything else I can do?

                    > > Dennis

                  • patskanovo
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
                      All week I have been in contact with support and they are pretty much telling me that my computer is the problem...ei:too many cookies?

                      If somebody their tells me to unplug my machine and wait 10 minutes....

                      My computer IS NOT the problem,sorry....My Flash player and Adobe Viewer are up to date as is internet explorer.I do not use firefox and do not want to take any surveys.

                      (I have to keep in mind though that these people do some good work however even if they baptize my relations )

                      Anyway,thanks to John Q. I am able to view my village once again.

                      I am considering downloading the entire village of Remeniny.

                      Maybe as a group,we may have some pull! I would like to see some of 1036 reels available for Bereg and Ung Counties.

                      Thanks again John,

                      Dennis

                    • lkocik@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 2, 2011
                        You certainly have a right to complain, it's the American way,  but try to imagine the logistics behind what the LDS is doing.

                         They also don't charge for the extremely valuable data they provide online.

                         I would hope that anyone who does post negative feedback can do it respectfully and in a constructive way.

                           After reading what I just wrote I see how it can be taken as condescending,....but I don't mean it to be. ----- Original Message -----

                        From: Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...>

                        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                        Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:09 PM

                        One more thought on this.  There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback".  We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

                        Peg

                        On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

                        > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

                        > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.

                        > Steve

                        > --

                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                        > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!

                        > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.

                        > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...

                        > > Is there anything else I can do?

                        > > Dennis

                      • Peg's Gmail
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 3, 2011
                          That is a good point. Since I'm the one who encouraged the "feedback", I'll clarify. Every time I have been in a conference classroom or spoken with someone from FamilySearch about any part of their new programming, they have encouraged, encouraged, and encouraged users to provide ideas, comments, feedback about their challenges in using, etc. Believe it or not, they really do wish to know how we, the users, are using it, and what problems we come up against.

                          So, yes, we should always be constructive and respectful. I can't imagine anyone in a group trying to become professional genealogists to be otherwise when in such a situation. But it is a good reminder. Yet, we should definitely not shy away from providing feedback and concerns. I entered mine, and I quite honestly expect them to reply based on past experience. We'll see.

                          Peg Ivanyo
                          All Things Related

                          On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:41 PM, lkocik@... wrote:

                          > You certainly have a right to complain, it's the American way, but try to imagine the logistics behind what the LDS is doing.
                          >
                          > They also don't charge for the extremely valuable data they provide online.
                          >
                          > I would hope that anyone who does post negative feedback can do it respectfully and in a constructive way.
                          >
                          > After reading what I just wrote I see how it can be taken as condescending,....but I don't mean it to be. ----- Original Message -----

                        • patskanovo
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 3, 2011
                            The link to the old site John Q sent to me will not "Stick" in my
                            favorites/bookmarks.

                            The link keeps reverting to the new search site....?

                            Dennis

                            wrote:

                            > All week I have been in contact with support and they are pretty much
                            telling me that my computer is the problem...ei:too many cookies?

                            > If somebody their tells me to unplug my machine and wait 10
                            minutes....

                            > My computer IS NOT the problem,sorry....My Flash player and Adobe
                            Viewer are up to date as is internet explorer.I do not use firefox and
                            do not want to take any surveys.

                            > (I have to keep in mind though that these people do some good work
                            however even if they baptize my relations )

                            > Anyway,thanks to John Q. I am able to view my village once again.
                            >
                            > I am considering downloading the entire village of Remeniny.
                            >
                            > Maybe as a group,we may have some pull! I would like to see some of
                            1036 reels available for Bereg and Ung Counties.

                            > Thanks again John,
                            >
                            > Dennis
                            >
                            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Charlotte Conjelko
                            charr61pribish@ wrote:

                            > > Now it's your turn! I have gone to the Family Search site
                            (familysearch.org) and posted my frustration. Please let Family
                            Search know you're feelings about the changes.

                            > > Thanks,
                            > > Charlotte

                            records of my maternal side.Â

                            > > Feedback, here I come!
                            > >

                            > > Charlotte
                            > >

                            > > --- On Thu, 6/2/11, Peg's Gmail pegivanyo@ wrote:
                            > >

                            > > From: Peg's Gmail pegivanyo@
                            > >
                            > > Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Family Search/Lost Records
                            > >
                            > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                            > >
                            > > Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:09 PM
                            > >

                            > > One more thought on this. There is a handy little icon on the
                            right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback". We
                            should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify
                            their methodology of access to the records.

                            > > Peg
                            > >

                            > > On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:
                            > >

                            > > > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the
                            Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian
                            placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic
                            Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated
                            the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the
                            Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under
                            the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov"
                            but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you
                            to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

                            > > > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me
                            to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their
                            latest layout.

                            > > > Steve
                            > >

                            > > > --
                            > >

                            > > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@>

                            under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are
                            very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at
                            least 6 different groups.

                            numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...

                            > > PLEASE STAY ON-TOPIC (GENEALOGY). OFF-TOPIC ITEMS WILL BE
                            BLOCKED.

                            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS%c3%82 -or- send blank

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 4, 2011
                              I am no computer whiz but try clearing your cookies.

                              > The link to the old site John Q sent to me will not "Stick" in my
                              > favorites/bookmarks.
                              >
                              > The link keeps reverting to the new search site....?
                              >
                              > Dennis
                            • patskanovo
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
                                Dear Dennis,

                                Case#2154949

                                About fifteen minutes after our last Email to you FamilySearch
                                Headquarters notified us of the temporary withdrawal of a lot of the
                                Slovakian records for enhancement and of additional records that are to
                                be released in the next few days.
                                However new technology sometimes throws us an unforseen curve ball, and
                                record that our affiliates have sometimes need to be tweaked in order to
                                work in this ever changing world of information technology.
                                By way of information over one hundred and seventy new collections
                                containing several hundred million individual records have been since
                                the beginning of this year and we are constantly adding to our
                                collections.
                                Please watch patiently for these records to come on line.

                                Sincerely
                                FamilySearch
                                support@...
                                <mhtml:{D061FCD8-46EB-4F16-8A39-1008EDBE4A65}mid://00000007/!x-usc:mailt\
                                o:support@...>

                                > I am no computer whiz but try clearing your cookies.
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                                > >

                                > > The link to the old site John Q sent to me will not "Stick" in my
                                > > favorites/bookmarks.
                                > >
                                > > The link keeps reverting to the new search site....?
                                > >
                                > > Dennis

                              • nilo3rak
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jun 5, 2011
                                  Yesterday I went to the "enhanced" Family search, Slovakia records, to see what the fuss was all about.

                                  That site was a complete disaster, incomplete with only a few main parish records. I wrote to Family Search and told them what I had found, and more importantly what I had not found.

                                  It came as no surprise that they shut the site down, and hopefully, off to the shop for renovation and repair.

                                  Point well taken, that when something is not right, it is right to respectfully speak up.

                                  My next feedback will be a "thank you" for listening and making things right.

                                  Carolyn

                                  > Dear Dennis,
                                  >
                                  > Case#2154949
                                  >
                                  > About fifteen minutes after our last Email to you FamilySearch
                                  > Headquarters notified us of the temporary withdrawal of a lot of the
                                  > Slovakian records for enhancement and of additional records that are to
                                  > be released in the next few days.
                                  > However new technology sometimes throws us an unforseen curve ball, and
                                  > record that our affiliates have sometimes need to be tweaked in order to
                                  > work in this ever changing world of information technology.
                                  > By way of information over one hundred and seventy new collections
                                  > containing several hundred million individual records have been since
                                  > the beginning of this year and we are constantly adding to our
                                  > collections.
                                  > Please watch patiently for these records to come on line.
                                  >
                                  > Sincerely
                                  > FamilySearch
                                  > support@...
                                  > <mhtml:{D061FCD8-46EB-4F16-8A39-1008EDBE4A65}mid://00000007/!x-usc:mailt\
                                  > o:support@...>

                                  > > I am no computer whiz but try clearing your cookies.
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" ddhalusker@ wrote:
                                  > > >

                                  > > > The link to the old site John Q sent to me will not "Stick" in my
                                  > > > favorites/bookmarks.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > The link keeps reverting to the new search site....?
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Dennis

                                • Charlotte Conjelko
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jun 7, 2011
                                    I take no offense to your words.  With 30 years in public relations, I'm pretty good at "crafting" my words.  I endorse your suggestion that others who give their feedback do so respectfully and constructively. And I do encourage others to give their feedback so LDS can make the records more accessible.

                                    Charlotte

                                    From: Charlotte Conjelko <charr61pribish@...>

                                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: Peg's Gmail <pegivanyo@...>

                                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                                    Date: Thursday, June 2, 2011, 1:09 PM

                                    One more thought on this.  There is a handy little icon on the right side of the page in FamilySearch labeled "Feedback".  We should be active in providing our concerns and input as they modify their methodology of access to the records.

                                    Peg

                                    On Jun 2, 2011, at 11:54 AM, stevemartonak wrote:

                                    > I am also getting frustrated. They used to have two links for the Presov region, one for Slovak placenames and one for Hungarian placenames. Then they added more files under a link to "Catholic Records" for files outside of the Presov region. Then they eliminated the Presov Region -> Slovak names link. Now they've eliminated the Hungarian names link and (apparently) have tried to put everything under the one link for "Catholic records". Lipany is no longer under "Presov" but is now under "Sabinov". Furthermore the Lipany link only takes you to one file instead of the six files that belong there.

                                    > Fortunately I still have (most of) my old bookmarks that take me to the files of interest to me without having to try to navigate their latest layout.

                                    > Steve

                                    > --

                                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "patskanovo" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                                    > > Recent changes to the Family Search Site have totally misplaced my village of Remeniny!

                                    > > Since they removed "Hungarian Place Names" and put them all under "Slovakia Church Books" I only have one group of records that are very limited in years where as before,records were from 1844-1906 in at least 6 different groups.

                                    > > I have contacted support via E-Mail,given all the information numerous times,yet continue to recieve automated responses...

                                    > > Is there anything else I can do?

                                    > > Dennis

                                  • Diane Dazio
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                      I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.  This is my great-great
                                      grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure  out the
                                      last name.  Maybe Oszerity?

                                      https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113

                                      She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.

                                      I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Diane

                                    • Diane Dazio
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                        Sorry Elaine, I think I accidentally replied directly to you instead of the
                                        list.

                                        Looking further, I think her last name was Oszczity.  There are people with this
                                        last name on Facebook, so I guess it is a legitimate surname.  I found her death
                                        on this page:
                                        https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

                                        I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
                                        in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
                                        word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
                                        listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  Again,
                                        it is the last entry on the page,. #38.

                                        Thanks!

                                        ________________________________

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                          Diane, it looks like this is a fairly common name in the village. I see
                                          several on just this one page (Mihal, Zsuzsanna, Istvan). I agree that it is
                                          difficult to read but my best guess is Oszczity. Radix shows the surname
                                          Oszczyti in Felso-Dios, the Hungarian name for Horne Oresany. The Slovak
                                          spelling would be somewhat different, but others would be better at figuring
                                          this out than I would be.

                                          Janet

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                            I went to the marriage records hoping to find a clearer image. Based upon film #947 pages 12/32 and 7/32, I make it to be Oszczily. Janet's reference makes my L a T.
                                          • curtbocha
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                              Diane,
                                              I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. Americans may find this difficult but Slovaks see the difference immediately. See the examples throughout the page. Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. In other words, the name is still pronounced the same, but it is the spelling in modern Slovak alphabet that is different.

                                              Curt B.

                                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Diane Dazio <daziofamily@...> wrote:

                                              > I cannot figure out how to spell this surname.� This is my great-great
                                              > grandfather's first wife. Her first name is Susanna but I cannot figure� out the
                                              > last name.� Maybe Oszerity?
                                              > �
                                              > https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528873.004528873_00113
                                              >

                                              > She is the last one on the page, DOB July 31 1846.
                                              >
                                              > I would appreciate any help with this horrible handwriting.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Diane

                                            • Janet Kozlay
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                                I would guess that the Slovak version of Oszczity would be Oscity. There are
                                                a few references for this name in the U.S. census and draft records
                                                indicating that it is Slovak. I do not find any references for Oscily or
                                                other names beginning with Oscil. While I agree that the letter could be
                                                read either as a "t" or an "l," I think the "t" is more likely.

                                                Janet

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                                  >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                                                  I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.
                                                • John
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                                    >>> I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).� There is a word that looks like "Bogdanore" under the 4th column which I thought was for listing place of origin and address.�Does this mean anything to anyone? <<<

                                                    You might want to check the church records: Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths, and confirmations, for Bohdanovce nad Trnavou, Trnava, Slovakia.
                                                  • Diane Dazio
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                                      I did find an older sibling for Susanna, and the handwriting was much better.  I
                                                      agree it is Oszczity.

                                                      I found her death on this page:
                                                      https://familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528526.004528526_00241

                                                      I was wondering where they came from since I cannot find their marriage registry
                                                      in Horne Oresany (her birthplace) or Budmerice (place of death).  There is a
                                                      word that looks like "Bogdanore"  under the 4th column which I thought was for
                                                      listing place of origin and address. Does this mean anything to anyone?  It is
                                                      the last entry on the page,  #38.

                                                      Thanks!
                                                      Diane

                                                      ________________________________
                                                      >>> I'm sure Janet got the spelling in the old Hungarian alphabet correct. It is
                                                      >>>definitely a T, and not an L. The only difference between an L and T, even in
                                                      >>>modern Slovak script is often just that little backward movement at the end of
                                                      >>>the letter. . . . Oszczity is it. Today you will still find the name in
                                                      >>>Slovakia. In modern Slovak it is spelled Oscity with diacritics above the s [to
                                                      >>>give the sound sh] and the c [to give the sound of ch]. <<<

                                                      I concur and stand corrected. Oscity/Oscita appear in current phone listings.

                                                    • Ladislav Rosival
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                                        The „Bogdanore“ could be todays Bohdanovce nad Trnavou (former Bogdanoc,
                                                        Bogdany, Bogdanovce) It is not far from Horne Oresany.

                                                        Ladislav

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jun 8, 2011
                                                          Oooh....thanks!

                                                          Diane

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jun 9, 2011
                                                            I sure hope that when my village is restored ("Remeniny")that it will be better than before....I am still locked out it seems and have only one group of records available......1844-1857

                                                            BTW...looks as though my thread was Hijacked.

                                                            Dennis