Re: Surname Pitner (Pittner)

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2011
      The Pecinov and Ruda that are nearby villages are the correct ones. How far was this from Vienna? Did marriages usually take place nearby of would daughters possibly be married to someone that far from home? Wold it be possible that the Anna south of Vienna was a sister?

      The reason we are checking is that I had someone contact me with an Anna Pinter Zwickl that settled in the same town in America as my Wenzel Pitner also spelled Pinter, Pittner and Petner. We thought that with all coming to the same town in Kansas that there was a connection. I did find an obit that said Wenzel Pittner (his obit.) Antoin Pittner. George Pitner and two sisters Mary and Josephine as living and two brothers living in Bohemia.

      I know there were matchmakers. Two G-uncles in America sent to Moravia for brides that were picked for religion and social-economic class. The brides came to America and married men they had never met. So, I'm thinking that this distance probable was not a problem for arranged marriage.

      I am in contact with a person on facebook that lives near Ruda. He might be able to check there for me.

      Any thoughts? What was going on in this area to make so many immigrate between 1880 1n1905?

      Also the photos were waist up only in big oval frames. (Maybe about 24" x 30") The glass is convex. The frames are beautiful. The back, in pencil, said brought from old county 1881. The clothing fits well. There were two separate photos, one of G-grandpa and the other of G-grandma. These had to be taken right after the marriage because they came to America soon after and all their children were born here.

      I also have copies of photos of G-grandparents from Moravia. These clothes were much more course. They look more like a heavy wool and not fine cut. These were brought from Moravia and again only waist up. They also were in large oval frames.

      These were hung in my grandparents living room with the wood stove for years. We had to take them out of the frame, wash the glass and use a dry brush to brush some of the wood smoke and ash off the actual photo. The bottoms are still very dark. If there is a photographer name or marking there, it was unseen. We took digital photos of them before putting them back in the frames.

      Is it possible to attach a photo to a message in this list or is it forbidden?

      Linda