Tangled Branches

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2011
      I am sure somebody else here besides myself has the same problem....

      I have a few branches in my family that married cousins descended from
      the same person and in another case,a person whom married back into the
      family after two generations.

      I know this was not uncommon but it seems that my genealogy program
      (RootsMagic)

      does not accept the relationships. The "loop" back (for lack of a better
      word) is not shown and I seem to have to enter in the information twice.

      Can anyone share a solution?

      Thanks,Dennis
    • Frank R Plichta
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2011
        Dennis,

        When you entered the ancestor that the person was "looped back" to, did you
        enter the "looped" ancestor a second time or did you select that person from
        your existing list of ancestors?

        You might be able to fix it be merging the two "looped" individuals.

        Clear as mud.

        Frank

        _____

        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2011
          I looked at a mail thread on ancestry.com and what Frank is suggesting is
          exactly what they did. A merge.

          Create two separate entries for the same person. Create the marriage, and
          descendants, etc. Then merge the two records for the same person. It will
          give you a warning but let you continue.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2011
            I'll have to give this a try. I have a good half-dozen instances where siblings married siblings and I have two separate listings for the same persons. Thanks, Dennis, for asking this, and thanks for the suggestions on how to resolve.

            Debbie

            > I looked at a mail thread on ancestry.com and what Frank is suggesting is
            > exactly what they did. A merge.
            >
            > Create two separate entries for the same person. Create the marriage, and
            > descendants, etc. Then merge the two records for the same person. It will
            > give you a warning but let you continue.
            >

            > Bill

          • haluska
            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2011
              Thanks for the suggestions and resolution. Of coarse I will back up the
              information so I do not lose the information or mess it up badly....

              The records for Slovakia seem to be down on the record search site.

              Does anyone know if this will be long term?

              Thanks Again!

              Dennis