Re: [S-R] Re: michael

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 28 , May 27, 2011
      Carolyn,
      Thanks for the verification of assumption that Breznica was an associated parish to Stropkov’s. Since Stropkov had both a Roman Catholic and a Greek Catholic church I would recommend that both sets of records be searched. The intra-marriage of these parishes would not be unusual. So if one “lost” a relative of one denomination it could be they married into the other denomination and will be found in those records.
      I had such an occurrence, in this case it was members of the family converting from Roman Catholic to Evangelical. Without any hint as to their disappearance it becomes a mystery as to what happened to this multi-household family when they stopped having events recorded in the parish they were born in. Fortunately, a cousin happened to run across them when searching for someone else in the Evangelical records.
      The lesson learned it to search all religious denomination records in the area where your ancestors lived. You might be surprised what you will find.
      Michael

      Message 2 of 28 , May 28, 2011
        >>> for my grandfather my grandmother it was in the naturalization from a local newspaper it said petrokey. this was in 1909 when she came over in Baltimore <<<

        I checked Ellis Island for all instances of [Harv] coming from [Petr] and come to the conclusion that most hail from Petrovce nad Laborcom and Zbudza, mapped as Petrocz and Izbugya on 1he 1910 map found at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/zemplen.jpg

        The problem that I have is that these villages are just north of Michalovce and a very long way from Stropkov -- assuming that the marriage took place in Hungary.

        We need to determine where the marriage took place -- in the USA or Hungary?
      • Betty Kleimann
        Message 3 of 28 , May 28, 2011
          the marriage took place in the u.s.  my grandmother did not come from stropkov. she can from petokey and she came on the ss main in baltimore in 1909.  my grandfather came from sztropkov he came in around 1905 in baltimore also. what i am trying to find out where his parents were and where her parents where and their names..

          Message 4 of 28 , May 28, 2011
            Many thanks to the group for assisting me in my family research. I was able
            to find my Grandmother, Margit Richter, in Velka Frankova. I hired a
            researcher and was able to trace my grandmothers maternal line back to the
            early 1800's. If anyone is interested in this area, I'd be glad to share my
            lineage.

            My grandfather, Peter Bilnaj, is proving to be a more challenging find. He
            was from Ruskr Kur in present day Serbia. The LDS records for the Catholic
            church did not have any information. His Ellis Island records states he is
            Ruthenian. Could he be Greek Orthodox? If so, does anyone have any
            experience in communicating with the Greek Orthodox church in Serbia?

            Thanks again

            Kathy Smith

          • John Venham
            Message 5 of 28 , May 29, 2011
              This does sound like a complex question on ethnicity.

              If he was Ruthenian, and living in Serbia, I would guess he lived in Vojvodina or another part of northern Serbia. Austria-Hungary dispatched a lot of colonists (from all over the empire) to that region and parts of Croatia, Hungary and Romania in the early 1800s, partly as a bullwark against the Ottoman Empire, and partly to re-populate a desolate area.

              Also, if he were Ruthenian, other possibilities for religion are Uniate (Greek Catholic) or Calvinist (sometimes called Evangelical or something similar).

              I did a quick google search on Vojvodina and Ruthenians, came up with genealogy postings in reference to a town called Kucur / Kuczora. It had both Hungarians and Ruthenes, so the town you have listed might be "Rusnak Kucor" /// "Rusnjaka Kucora" ??? These postings also refer to Greek Catholic religion.

              Although this sounds complex, it is not really really complicated. The Austrians planned and documented settlements fairly carefully, and likely there were villages and towns that were mostly Ruthene in
              Serbia.   I just finished with an old German language book on this topic, returned it to the library. I wasn't focused on Ruthenes, specifically, but I was struck by how incredibly detailed it was; and I know they were mentioned. I suspect if you poke around the web, you can find out the names of the Ruthene settlements on the Balkans.

              On the religion, please don't think there are tons of possibilities; really there are only four (maybe five): Roman Catholic, Greek Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Calvinist, maybe Lutheran.

              If the LDS copied the records, then regardless of the religion, they'll be part of the Yugoslavia collected.

              Good Luck

              John Venham

              "The Journey is the Reward"

              Message 6 of 28 , May 29, 2011
                Kathy,
                See the article in Wikipedia with the title "Pannonian
                Rusyns". The article gives a history of the Rusyns in the
                Vojvodina. The author calls the village of Ruski Krstur the center of Rusyn culture, and indicates that all the Rusyn immigrants were of the Greek Catholic religion, and still are. The current census indicates over 15,000 Rusyns still there.

                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Smith" <ksmith17@...> wrote:

                > Many thanks to the group for assisting me in my family research. I was able
                > to find my Grandmother, Margit Richter, in Velka Frankova. I hired a
                > researcher and was able to trace my grandmothers maternal line back to the
                > early 1800's. If anyone is interested in this area, I'd be glad to share my
                > lineage.
                >

                > My grandfather, Peter Bilnaj, is proving to be a more challenging find. He
                > was from Ruskr Kur in present day Serbia. The LDS records for the Catholic
                > church did not have any information. His Ellis Island records states he is
                > Ruthenian. Could he be Greek Orthodox? If so, does anyone have any
                > experience in communicating with the Greek Orthodox church in Serbia?
                >

                > Thanks again
                >

                > Kathy Smith

              • Kathy Smith
                Message 7 of 28 , May 30, 2011
                  Would it be best to contact the Greek Catholic Church directly, or is there
                  a better path to use?

                  , "Kathy Smith" <ksmith17@...> wrote:

                  > Many thanks to the group for assisting me in my family research. I was
                  able
                  > to find my Grandmother, Margit Richter, in Velka Frankova. I hired a
                  > researcher and was able to trace my grandmothers maternal line back to the
                  > early 1800's. If anyone is interested in this area, I'd be glad to share
                  my
                  > lineage.
                  >

                  > My grandfather, Peter Bilnaj, is proving to be a more challenging find. He
                  > was from Ruskr Kur in present day Serbia. The LDS records for the Catholic
                  > church did not have any information. His Ellis Island records states he is
                  > Ruthenian. Could he be Greek Orthodox? If so, does anyone have any
                  > experience in communicating with the Greek Orthodox church in Serbia?
                  >

                  > Thanks again
                  >

                  > Kathy Smith

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 30, 2011
                    Hi Kathy - imagine my surprise to be checking out the places i am taking a group
                    to in northern Serbia in July and there is your village, Ruski Krstur, nearby.
                    We are staying at a Slovak pension called Aroma - sounds wonderful - lots of
                    Slovak food in this region of immigrants from Slovakia hundreds of years ago.
                    And we will visit Novi  Sad for the ethnographic museum featuring Slovak folk
                    dress of the region. We'll spend a day in Kovacica meeting the naive painters
                    and visiting the galleries that record village life in such a charming way. Not
                    many people know that the famed naive painters of Serbia came from Slovakia long
                    ago. This will be my first visit to Voivodina and i am intrigued. Also note they
                    call it the Banat and have heard that reference to Slovak and Czech villages I
                    visited in southern Romania.

                    Any enlightenment on where the Banat extends?

                    helene

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 28 , May 30, 2011
                      Helene & Kathy,
                      The village has its own web page too, partly in English. Just Click on English to see a bit of its fascinating history.

                      http://www.ruskikerestur.net/

                      note that they have a cultural museum, and that the Greek Catholic Church has an archive which probably has records recording Cathy's ancestors.

                      Banat was a big piece of territory. It was divided up after World War I and parts assigned to Serbia (now in Vojvodina), parts to Hungary and parts to Romania.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Kathy - imagine my surprise to be checking out the places i am taking a group
                      > to in northern Serbia in July and there is your village, Ruski Krstur, nearby.
                      > We are staying at a Slovak pension called Aroma - sounds wonderful - lots of
                      > Slovak food in this region of immigrants from Slovakia hundreds of years ago.
                      > And we will visit Novi  Sad for the ethnographic museum featuring Slovak folk
                      > dress of the region. We'll spend a day in Kovacica meeting the naive painters
                      > and visiting the galleries that record village life in such a charming way. Not
                      > many people know that the famed naive painters of Serbia came from Slovakia long
                      > ago. This will be my first visit to Voivodina and i am intrigued. Also note they
                      > call it the Banat and have heard that reference to Slovak and Czech villages I
                      > visited in southern Romania.
                      >
                      > Any enlightenment on where the Banat extends?
                      >
                      > helene
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Kathy Smith
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 30, 2011
                        It was very interesting reading. However, I cannot find an address to write
                        or an idea which language I would use to write in. Do you have any
                        suggestions?

                        The village has its own web page too, partly in English. Just Click on
                        English to see a bit of its fascinating history.

                        http://www.ruskikerestur.net/

                        note that they have a cultural museum, and that the Greek Catholic Church
                        has an archive which probably has records recording Cathy's ancestors.

                        Banat was a big piece of territory. It was divided up after World War I and
                        parts assigned to Serbia (now in Vojvodina), parts to Hungary and parts to
                        Romania.

                        Curt B.

                        , helene cincebeaux <helenezx@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Kathy - imagine my surprise to be checking out the places i am taking a
                        group
                        > to in northern Serbia in July and there is your village, Ruski Krstur,Â
                        nearby.
                        > We are staying at a Slovak pension called Aroma - sounds wonderful - lots
                        of
                        > Slovak food in this region of immigrants from Slovakia hundreds of years
                        ago.
                        > And we will visit Novi  Sad for the ethnographic museum featuring Slovak
                        folk
                        > dress of the region. We'll spend a day in Kovacica meeting the naive
                        painters
                        > and visiting the galleries that record village life in such a charming
                        way. Not
                        > many people know that the famed naive painters of Serbia came from
                        Slovakia long
                        > ago. This will be my first visit to Voivodina and i am intrigued. Also
                        note they
                        > call it the Banat and have heard that reference to Slovak and Czech
                        villages I
                        > visited in southern Romania.
                        >
                        > Any enlightenment on where the Banat extends?
                        >
                        > helene
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 30, 2011
                          Kathy,
                          At the bottom of the English web page you will find the a row of words ending with "contact".

                          Click on that and you will find the name of the web page author Zelimir Pap. Click on that and you will open an e-mail to him.
                          WRite him a note in very clear, very simple, and very short sentences, in English. Since they have a web page in English, someone there reads English. Sentences like ...My Grandfather, Peter Bilnaj, was born in Ruski Krstur. He was in the Greek Catholic Church. He lived from 18??, and died in America in 19??. Can someone check records in the Church in Ruski Krstur to find records of his birth, and of his parents?

                          etc.

                        • Tom Potsko
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                            I have a family record of a Marija Bandura(Greek Catholic) from what looks
                            like Sejc Kerestur, Zemplen, Hungary. Could this possibly be the same
                            village? Thanks, Tom

                          • CurtB
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                              Tom,
                              No, a different village. Today yours is called Zemplinska Teplica. Its in Eastern Slovakia.

                              Curt B.

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...> wrote:

                              > I have a family record of a Marija Bandura(Greek Catholic) from what looks
                              > like Sejc Kerestur, Zemplen, Hungary. Could this possibly be the same
                              > village? Thanks, Tom
                              >
                              > On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 8:46 PM, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Kathy,
                              > > At the bottom of the English web page you will find the a row of words
                              > > ending with "contact".
                              > >
                              > > Click on that and you will find the name of the web page author Zelimir
                              > > Pap. Click on that and you will open an e-mail to him.
                              > > WRite him a note in very clear, very simple, and very short sentences, in
                              > > English. Since they have a web page in English, someone there reads
                              > > English. Sentences like ...My Grandfather, Peter Bilnaj, was born in
                              > > Ruski Krstur. He was in the Greek Catholic Church. He lived from 18??, and
                              > > died in America in 19??. Can someone check records in the Church in Ruski
                              > > Krstur to find records of his birth, and of his parents?
                              > >
                              > > etc.
                              > > Curt B.
                              > >
                              > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Smith" <ksmith17@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > It was very interesting reading. However, I cannot find an address to
                              > > write
                              > > > or an idea which language I would use to write in. Do you have any
                              > > > suggestions?

                            • John
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                                >>> I have a family record of a Marija Bandura(Greek Catholic) from what looks like Sejc Kerestur, Zemplen, Hungary. <<<

                                Szecs-Keresztur, Zemplen Megye, now called Zemplínska Teplica, Slovakia.
                              • Tom Potsko
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                                  Curt,

                                  Thanks, Is it included in the Presov region on the FamilySearch.org
                                  online records, like some other Zemplen Records. From the name Zempliska,
                                  I'm doubting it is. Tom

                                • Tom Potsko
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                                    John,

                                    Thanks Again. Tom

                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                                      >>> Is it included in the Presov region on the FamilySearch.org
                                      online records, like some other Zemplen Records. From the name Zempliska <<<

                                      LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Zemplínska Teplica, Slovakia, formerly Szécs-Keresztur, Zemplén, Hungary.

                                      Film only. Not online.
                                    • Janet Kozlay
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                                        The village is Zsecs-Keresztur, now Zemplinska Teplica. Microfilmed Greek
                                        Catholic church records are available 1817-1896 through your nearest Family
                                        History Center.

                                        Janet

                                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Kathy Smith" <ksmith17@...>

                                        ]
                                        > On
                                        > > Behalf Of CurtB
                                        > > Sent: Monday, May 30, 2011 3:18 PM
                                        > > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>

                                        > > Subject: Re: [S-R] Ruski Krstur
                                        > >

                                        > > Helene & Kathy,
                                        > > The village has its own web page too, partly in English. Just Click on
                                        > > English to see a bit of its fascinating history.
                                        > >
                                        > > http://www.ruskikerestur.net/
                                        > >
                                        > > note that they have a cultural museum, and that the Greek Catholic
                                        Church
                                        > > has an archive which probably has records recording Cathy's ancestors.
                                        > >
                                        > > Banat was a big piece of territory. It was divided up after World War I
                                        > and
                                        > > parts assigned to Serbia (now in Vojvodina), parts to Hungary and parts
                                        > > Romania.
                                        > >
                                        > > Curt B.
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:
                                        > SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
                                        > > , helene cincebeaux <helenezx@> wrote:
                                        > > >

                                        > > > Hi Kathy - imagine my surprise to be checking out the places i am
                                        > taking a
                                        > > group
                                        > > > to in northern Serbia in July and there is your village, Ruski
                                        > Krstur,�
                                        > > nearby.
                                        > > > We are staying at a Slovak pension called Aroma - sounds wonderful -
                                        > lots
                                        > > of
                                        > > > Slovak food in this region of immigrants from Slovakia hundreds of
                                        > years
                                        > > ago.
                                        > > > And we will visit Novi � Sad for the ethnographic museum featuring
                                        > Slovak
                                        > > folk
                                        > > > dress of the region. We'll spend a day in Kovacica meeting the naive
                                        > > painters
                                        > > > and visiting the galleries that record village life in such a charming
                                        > > way. Not
                                        > > > many people know that the famed naive painters of Serbia came from
                                        > > Slovakia long
                                        > > > ago. This will be my first visit to Voivodina and i am intrigued. Also
                                        > > note they
                                        > > > call it the Banat and have heard that reference to Slovak and Czech
                                        > > villages I
                                        > > > visited in southern Romania.
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Any enlightenment on where the Banat extends?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > helene

                                        > > > From: Kathy Smith <ksmith17@>

                                        <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo> ! Groups Links

                                      • Tom Potsko
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 31, 2011
                                          Thanks, everyone. Tom