Re: [S-R] Dorothy Fitts??

  • stephanie nelson
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2011
      Hi,
          My Great Grandmother was Josafina Palko. Her Father was Jurok Palko. Her
      mother was Veronice Sipek as far as I can tell. If you know anything about her
      Family, I would be interested!
       Stephanie

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2011
        Dorothy,
        Both Siurte and Syurte are English language attempts to spell the sound of the Ukrainian or Rysyn name. Some English language maps use one spelling, and others use the other. The iu and the yu in English are the attempts to make the sound of a single letter in the Cyrillic alphabet.

        Curt B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy L Fitts" <dfitts22@...> wrote:

        > Thanks. That is what I found on Google maps. It was spelled Syurte. This will be an update to my records.
        >
        > Dorothy

      • Betsy
        Message 3 of 13 , May 10, 2011
          I have a neighbor named Palko, here in North Jersey.

          I'd rather sit alone on a box
          than be crowded on a velvet cushion...

          I see in the surnames database that you are also searching Palko surname.
          Are you still around?

          Stephanie

        • Dorothy L Fitts
          Message 4 of 13 , May 11, 2011
            Hi Betsy,

            That is interesting. Do they know anything about their families background? I have hit one of those famous “brick walls” so I am stymied and unable to go further on my family right now

            Dorothy

            Message 5 of 13 , May 11, 2011
              Hi Stephanie,

              I am afraid none of the names are known to me. There are so many Palkos. Do you know where they were from? Where they came to in the US if they did?

              Dorothy

              Message 6 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                I can ask when I see them....the house is for sale so I'll try to
                make a point.   I know all about brick walls...!  I have several to scale  :)