Re: Hamburg Passenger lists

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, John Venham <jevenham@y...> wrote:
      > Hello all:
      >
      > I am in Prague, and considering a trip to Hamburg to
      > research the departure lists for immigrants.
      >
      > I'd be focused on the years 1884 and 1885.
      >
      > I understand the LDS in Utah has microfilmed these
      > records. So I'm seeking advice from anyone who may
      > have used these records in research.
      >
      > Here are some of my concerns:
      >
      > What type of writing was used in Germany at that
      > time?Kurent?
      > I've read that the records are alphabetized...is that
      > by year, by month, by ship, then year???
      > And what are the potential pitfalls I could
      > encounter...beyond difficult handwriting?
      >
      > I will be looking for one specific name: Kasik
      > and I have a very good idea when he left Europe
      > (although not necessarily sure he left through Hamburg
      > -- it's the most likely port).
      >
      > If alphabetized, is there a chance that Kasik would
      > not be with the K's; or that Frank Kasik will not be
      > with the F. Kasik's?? Would the children be listed
      > clustered with the father, or alphabetized, too?
      >
      > Also, is there a chance that someone else bought the
      > ticket, and Mr. Kasik et al. are not listed at all?
      >
      > Mr. Kasik and his family took English first names in
      > the US. The German and Czech equivalents are
      > different as well. Is there a chance that a German
      > recorder would turn Frantisek into Franz, or Jindra
      > into Heinrich?
      >
      > Finally, what actual information could I hope to find
      > on this person in these lists?
      >
      > Okay, thanks a lot...
      >
      > John V.

      ahoj !

      Believe that Hamburg, Germany has set up its own database of
      the Hamburg Lists and its style may be different from that of the LDS
      microfilms ?

      http://www.genealogienetz.de/gene/misc/emig/
      http://www.familysearch.org/sg/Hamburg_Pass_List.html
      http://pgsa.org/hamburg.htm

      Hope that your pages were not written in 'Kurrent'; sometimes
      even native Germans need a course inorder to read this handwriting.
      Don't know which can be harder to decipher, Kurrent or poorly written
      Russian Cyrillic cursive script ?

      Depending upon if Herr or Pan Kas^ik came from a German or Czech or a
      'Mixed' named town in Czech-Bohemia, the Hamburg listing should follow
      the particular language used ?

      Assume the surname Kas^ik was spelled using the Czech hac^ek , or was
      it a plain Kasik, or maybe Kasika ?

      For American based records you would use Soundex Code K-220
      for the surname Kasik, so here spelling actually used doesn't matter.

      Mnoho s^te^stí
      Viel Glück

      Frank Kurcina