Re: [S-R] Dorothy Fitts??

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2011
      Dorothy,
      Modern maps have the spelling as Syurte or Syurtoe. Strumkivka is an older spelling.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2011
        Michael,
        The questions you are asking regarding the village Dorothy is referring to are not related to variant spellings, but variant languages. The old Hungarian name was Szerte or Szurte, which is what the village was called by Hungarians before 1917. You will find it on the old Hungarian maps. Strumkivka and Siurte are English language APPROXIMATIONS of the Ukrainian and Rusyn names. Both names are used today, but, of course, they are spelled in the CYRILLIC alphabet, not the Roman alphabet which you are using. You need to look at an actual list or map in Ukrainian where you will see both are used.

        Curt B.

        > Dorothy,
        > Modern maps have the spelling as Syurte or Syurtoe. Strumkivka is an older spelling.

      • Dorothy L Fitts
        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2011
          Thanks. That is what I found on Google maps. It was spelled Syurte. This will be an update to my records.

          Dorothy

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

          > Dorothy,
          > Modern maps have the spelling as Syurte or Syurtoe. Strumkivka is an older spelling.

        • stephanie nelson
          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2011
            Hi,
                My Great Grandmother was Josafina Palko. Her Father was Jurok Palko. Her
            mother was Veronice Sipek as far as I can tell. If you know anything about her
            Family, I would be interested!
             Stephanie

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2011
              Dorothy,
              Both Siurte and Syurte are English language attempts to spell the sound of the Ukrainian or Rysyn name. Some English language maps use one spelling, and others use the other. The iu and the yu in English are the attempts to make the sound of a single letter in the Cyrillic alphabet.

              Curt B.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy L Fitts" <dfitts22@...> wrote:

              > Thanks. That is what I found on Google maps. It was spelled Syurte. This will be an update to my records.
              >
              > Dorothy

            • Betsy
              Message 6 of 13 , May 10, 2011
                I have a neighbor named Palko, here in North Jersey.

                I'd rather sit alone on a box
                than be crowded on a velvet cushion...

                Message 7 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                  Hi Betsy,

                  That is interesting. Do they know anything about their families background? I have hit one of those famous “brick walls” so I am stymied and unable to go further on my family right now

                  Dorothy

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                    Hi Stephanie,

                    I am afraid none of the names are known to me. There are so many Palkos. Do you know where they were from? Where they came to in the US if they did?

                    Dorothy

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                      I can ask when I see them....the house is for sale so I'll try to
                      make a point.   I know all about brick walls...!  I have several to scale  :)