Dorothy Fitts??

  • stephanie
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9, 2011
      I see in the surnames database that you are also searching Palko surname. Are you still around?

      Stephanie
    • Dorothy L Fitts
      Message 2 of 13 , May 9, 2011
        Yes I am. Haven't found out much yet. I have been told that records for
        Szerte now that it is in Ukraine are hard to get and I am not in a position
        to pay someone to search there.

        Dorothy

        Message 3 of 13 , May 9, 2011
          Dorothy,
          Szerte, is that the modern spelling? I couldn’t find a place with that spelling. The closest I found was
          Syurte, Ukraine Other names: Surty,Siurte,Szurte,Strumkivka,Strumkovka Ukraine:Zakarpats'ka Oblast'

          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2011
            Michael,

            The current name is Strumkivka It is located south of Uzhorod. I found it via a web site for Palko in Kisgjoec, Ukraine. I have also seen it spelled Szurthe in older records. I also found it on old maps for Ung Megye in Hungary. Her father’s name may be Gyorgy Palko. Since I have no records save what I could get via US information I am still in the “maybe” stage for some of that. I also know that Julia had a sister named Anna.

            Message 5 of 13 , May 9, 2011
              Dorothy,
              Modern maps have the spelling as Syurte or Syurtoe. Strumkivka is an older spelling.

              The current name is Strumkivka It is located south of Uzhorod. I found it via a web site for Palko in Kisgjoec, Ukraine. I have also seen it spelled Szurthe in older records. I also found it on old maps for Ung Megye in Hungary. Her father’s name may be Gyorgy Palko. Since I have no records save what I could get via US information I am still in the “maybe” stage for some of that. I also know that Julia had a sister named Anna.

              Dorothy

              Szerte, is that the modern spelling? I couldn’t find a place with that spelling. The closest I found was
              Syurte, Ukraine Other names: Surty,Siurte,Szurte,Strumkivka,Strumkovka Ukraine:Zakarpats'ka Oblast'

              I see in the surnames database that you are also searching Palko surname.
              Are you still around?

              Stephanie

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                Michael,
                The questions you are asking regarding the village Dorothy is referring to are not related to variant spellings, but variant languages. The old Hungarian name was Szerte or Szurte, which is what the village was called by Hungarians before 1917. You will find it on the old Hungarian maps. Strumkivka and Siurte are English language APPROXIMATIONS of the Ukrainian and Rusyn names. Both names are used today, but, of course, they are spelled in the CYRILLIC alphabet, not the Roman alphabet which you are using. You need to look at an actual list or map in Ukrainian where you will see both are used.

                Curt B.

                > Dorothy,
                > Modern maps have the spelling as Syurte or Syurtoe. Strumkivka is an older spelling.

              • Dorothy L Fitts
                Message 7 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                  Thanks. That is what I found on Google maps. It was spelled Syurte. This will be an update to my records.

                  Dorothy

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                  > Dorothy,
                  > Modern maps have the spelling as Syurte or Syurtoe. Strumkivka is an older spelling.

                • stephanie nelson
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                    Hi,
                        My Great Grandmother was Josafina Palko. Her Father was Jurok Palko. Her
                    mother was Veronice Sipek as far as I can tell. If you know anything about her
                    Family, I would be interested!
                     Stephanie

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , May 9, 2011
                      Dorothy,
                      Both Siurte and Syurte are English language attempts to spell the sound of the Ukrainian or Rysyn name. Some English language maps use one spelling, and others use the other. The iu and the yu in English are the attempts to make the sound of a single letter in the Cyrillic alphabet.

                      Curt B.

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Dorothy L Fitts" <dfitts22@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks. That is what I found on Google maps. It was spelled Syurte. This will be an update to my records.
                      >
                      > Dorothy

                    • Betsy
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 10, 2011
                        I have a neighbor named Palko, here in North Jersey.

                        I'd rather sit alone on a box
                        than be crowded on a velvet cushion...

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                          Hi Betsy,

                          That is interesting. Do they know anything about their families background? I have hit one of those famous “brick walls” so I am stymied and unable to go further on my family right now

                          Dorothy

                          Message 12 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                            Hi Stephanie,

                            I am afraid none of the names are known to me. There are so many Palkos. Do you know where they were from? Where they came to in the US if they did?

                            Dorothy

                            Message 13 of 13 , May 11, 2011
                              I can ask when I see them....the house is for sale so I'll try to
                              make a point.   I know all about brick walls...!  I have several to scale  :)