Re: Available Slovak digital FHLC records

  • elmerville2
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2011
      Thanks Jim, guess it's something to look forward to, :-)))))
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

      > It's found at the FamilySeach.org web site. Start here: https://www.familysearch.org/
      >
      > Note the lower left links, hit "Europe" and then "Slovakia (2)" from the left column. The first link is Slovak place names, the second is Hungarian place names.
      >
      > Have fun,
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "elmerville2" <elmerville2@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I understand that some Slovak RC archives have been digitalized, I'm interested in Jaklovce and Margecany. How do I get this information?

    • Samuel Ontko
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2011
        Jaklovce in the Gelnica district is found in the Levoca archives.

        So I don’t think you will find it yet. But the 4 films have a baptism index from 1800-1920.

        Sam Ontko
        Ontko family of Jaklovce/Margecany

        --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

        > It's found at the FamilySeach.org web site. Start here: https://www.familysearch.org/
        >
        > Note the lower left links, hit "Europe" and then "Slovakia (2)" from the left column. The first link is Slovak place names, the second is Hungarian place names.
        >
        > Have fun,
        > Jim
        >
        > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "elmerville2" <elmerville2@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I understand that some Slovak RC archives have been digitalized, I'm interested in Jaklovce and Margecany. How do I get this information?

      • María Eugenia Kromholc
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2011
          Hello, everybody!

          Do you know if the files for Jesensk�, Rimavska S�bota, Kokava nad Rimavicou
          and Valask� are already online on Family Search? I really do not know under
          which county these should be. I see there are a lot of counties and they
          differ depending on which religion.

          Thanks a lot for your help!

          Best regards,

          Eugenia

          --
          Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc

        • Julie Michutka
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2011
            On May 10, 2011, at 3:59 PM, María Eugenia Kromholc wrote:

            > Do you know if the files for Jesenské, Rimavska Sóbota, Kokava nad
            > Rimavicou
            > and Valaská are already online on Family Search? I really do not
            > know under
            > which county these should be. I see there are a lot of counties and
            > they
            > differ depending on which religion.

            Eugenia, the counties don't differ based on religion (you might be
            thinking of dioceses).

            To learn whether a given town's parish records (of whatever
            denomination) are available online as images, follow these steps:
            --go to https://www.familysearch.org/
            --sign in
            --click on "catalog" and then use "search: place names for [fill in
            town name]." Once you start typing, the system will try to
            automatically fill in the town and county and country name; just make
            sure it matches what you are looking for
            --it will then bring up the town name; click on it, and it will tell
            you either "availability: Family History Centers" or "availability:
            digital images." If the latter, you can start clicking through to your
            parish records. Otherwise you will have to go to a Family History
            Center and order microfilms.

            I only checked one of your town names; Kokava nad Rimavicou is not
            available as digital images yet. You'll have to order the microfilm(s).

            Julie Michutka
            jmm@...

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2011
              Julie,
              Your first four villages was in the Hungarian district of Gemer and Valaska was in the district Svolen. The only districts that have their records online a Presov and Bratislava. The districts were a Hungarian government creation, not a church one. For most of the Hungarian Empire the country was Roman or Greek Catholic.

              On May 10, 2011, at 3:59 PM, María Eugenia Kromholc wrote:

              > Do you know if the files for Jesenské, Rimavska Sóbota, Kokava nad
              > Rimavicou
              > and Valaská are already online on Family Search? I really do not
              > know under
              > which county these should be. I see there are a lot of counties and
              > they
              > differ depending on which religion.

              Eugenia, the counties don't differ based on religion (you might be
              thinking of dioceses).

              To learn whether a given town's parish records (of whatever
              denomination) are available online as images, follow these steps:
              --go to https://www.familysearch.org/
              --sign in
              --click on "catalog" and then use "search: place names for [fill in
              town name]." Once you start typing, the system will try to
              automatically fill in the town and county and country name; just make
              sure it matches what you are looking for
              --it will then bring up the town name; click on it, and it will tell
              you either "availability: Family History Centers" or "availability:
              digital images." If the latter, you can start clicking through to your
              parish records. Otherwise you will have to go to a Family History
              Center and order microfilms.

              I only checked one of your town names; Kokava nad Rimavicou is not
              available as digital images yet. You'll have to order the microfilm(s).

              Julie Michutka
              mailto:jmm%40pathbridge.net