Available Slovak digital FHLC records

  • elmerville2
    Message 1 of 7 , May 7, 2011
      I understand that some Slovak RC archives have been digitalized, I'm interested in Jaklovce and Margecany. How do I get this information?
    • jnickel_o
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2011
        It's found at the FamilySeach.org web site. Start here: https://www.familysearch.org/

        Note the lower left links, hit "Europe" and then "Slovakia (2)" from the left column. The first link is Slovak place names, the second is Hungarian place names.

        Have fun,
        Jim

        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2011
          Thanks Jim, guess it's something to look forward to, :-)))))
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

          > It's found at the FamilySeach.org web site. Start here: https://www.familysearch.org/
          >
          > Note the lower left links, hit "Europe" and then "Slovakia (2)" from the left column. The first link is Slovak place names, the second is Hungarian place names.
          >
          > Have fun,
          > Jim
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "elmerville2" <elmerville2@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I understand that some Slovak RC archives have been digitalized, I'm interested in Jaklovce and Margecany. How do I get this information?

        • Samuel Ontko
          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2011
            Jaklovce in the Gelnica district is found in the Levoca archives.

            So I don’t think you will find it yet. But the 4 films have a baptism index from 1800-1920.

            Sam Ontko
            Ontko family of Jaklovce/Margecany

            --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "jnickel_o" <gensearch2@...> wrote:

            > It's found at the FamilySeach.org web site. Start here: https://www.familysearch.org/
            >
            > Note the lower left links, hit "Europe" and then "Slovakia (2)" from the left column. The first link is Slovak place names, the second is Hungarian place names.
            >
            > Have fun,
            > Jim
            >
            > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "elmerville2" <elmerville2@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I understand that some Slovak RC archives have been digitalized, I'm interested in Jaklovce and Margecany. How do I get this information?

          • María Eugenia Kromholc
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2011
              Hello, everybody!

              Do you know if the files for Jesensk�, Rimavska S�bota, Kokava nad Rimavicou
              and Valask� are already online on Family Search? I really do not know under
              which county these should be. I see there are a lot of counties and they
              differ depending on which religion.

              Thanks a lot for your help!

              Best regards,

              Eugenia

              --
              Mar�a Eugenia Kromholc

            • Julie Michutka
              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2011
                On May 10, 2011, at 3:59 PM, María Eugenia Kromholc wrote:

                > Do you know if the files for Jesenské, Rimavska Sóbota, Kokava nad
                > Rimavicou
                > and Valaská are already online on Family Search? I really do not
                > know under
                > which county these should be. I see there are a lot of counties and
                > they
                > differ depending on which religion.

                Eugenia, the counties don't differ based on religion (you might be
                thinking of dioceses).

                To learn whether a given town's parish records (of whatever
                denomination) are available online as images, follow these steps:
                --go to https://www.familysearch.org/
                --sign in
                --click on "catalog" and then use "search: place names for [fill in
                town name]." Once you start typing, the system will try to
                automatically fill in the town and county and country name; just make
                sure it matches what you are looking for
                --it will then bring up the town name; click on it, and it will tell
                you either "availability: Family History Centers" or "availability:
                digital images." If the latter, you can start clicking through to your
                parish records. Otherwise you will have to go to a Family History
                Center and order microfilms.

                I only checked one of your town names; Kokava nad Rimavicou is not
                available as digital images yet. You'll have to order the microfilm(s).

                Julie Michutka
                jmm@...

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 7 , May 10, 2011
                  Julie,
                  Your first four villages was in the Hungarian district of Gemer and Valaska was in the district Svolen. The only districts that have their records online a Presov and Bratislava. The districts were a Hungarian government creation, not a church one. For most of the Hungarian Empire the country was Roman or Greek Catholic.

                  On May 10, 2011, at 3:59 PM, María Eugenia Kromholc wrote:

                  > Do you know if the files for Jesenské, Rimavska Sóbota, Kokava nad
                  > Rimavicou
                  > and Valaská are already online on Family Search? I really do not
                  > know under
                  > which county these should be. I see there are a lot of counties and
                  > they
                  > differ depending on which religion.

                  Eugenia, the counties don't differ based on religion (you might be
                  thinking of dioceses).

                  To learn whether a given town's parish records (of whatever
                  denomination) are available online as images, follow these steps:
                  --go to https://www.familysearch.org/
                  --sign in
                  --click on "catalog" and then use "search: place names for [fill in
                  town name]." Once you start typing, the system will try to
                  automatically fill in the town and county and country name; just make
                  sure it matches what you are looking for
                  --it will then bring up the town name; click on it, and it will tell
                  you either "availability: Family History Centers" or "availability:
                  digital images." If the latter, you can start clicking through to your
                  parish records. Otherwise you will have to go to a Family History
                  Center and order microfilms.

                  I only checked one of your town names; Kokava nad Rimavicou is not
                  available as digital images yet. You'll have to order the microfilm(s).

                  Julie Michutka
                  mailto:jmm%40pathbridge.net