Re: [S-R] Given Name Vaszyli in English

  • John
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2011
      >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

      If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
      Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

      The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
      Message 2 of 15 , May 7, 2011
        As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

        1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
        They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

        2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
        Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
        disconnected from the ethnicity.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 15 , May 7, 2011
          John,
          The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
          1. His father’s name is Stefan
          2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
          3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

          The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.