Re: [S-R] Given Name Vaszyli in English

    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2011
      Now you've really got my head spinning. Time to punch out! Happy Friday
      everyone!
      Bill

      n Fri, May 6, 2011 4:09 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
      > John,
      > Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is
      > from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the
      > write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it
      > is a “for sure”.

      Bill
    • Elaine Summerhill
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2011
        I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still
        pronounced it with a "V".

        Elaine Summerhill

        ________________________________

        That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
        I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
        Charles.

        On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
        > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
        > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
        >

        > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
        >> Slovak for William is Viliam.
        >>

        >> Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?
        >>
        >> If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for
        >> William?
        >>
        >> thanks,
        >> john

      • Elaine Summerhill
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2011
          Forgot to add..... All of us called him "Charlie".

          Elaine Summerhill

          ________________________________

          I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still

          pronounced it with a "V".

          Elaine Summerhill

        • John
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2011
            >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

            If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
            Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

            The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
            Message 5 of 15 , May 7, 2011
              As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

              1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
              They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

              2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
              Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
              disconnected from the ethnicity.

              Bill

              Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
              reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

              On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
              > Slovak for William is Viliam.

              Bill

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                John,
                The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
                1. His father’s name is Stefan
                2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
                3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

                The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.