Re: [S-R] Given Name Vaszyli in English

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6 1:09 PM
      John,
      Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it is a “for sure”.

      Message 2 of 15 , May 6 1:57 PM
        Now you've really got my head spinning. Time to punch out! Happy Friday
        everyone!
        Bill

        n Fri, May 6, 2011 4:09 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
        > John,
        > Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is
        > from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the
        > write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it
        > is a “for sure”.

        Bill
      • Elaine Summerhill
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6 6:29 PM
          I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still
          pronounced it with a "V".

          Elaine Summerhill

          ________________________________

          That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
          I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
          Charles.

          On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
          > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
          > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
          >

          > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
          >> Slovak for William is Viliam.
          >>

          >> Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?
          >>
          >> If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for
          >> William?
          >>
          >> thanks,
          >> john

        • Elaine Summerhill
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6 6:31 PM
            Forgot to add..... All of us called him "Charlie".

            Elaine Summerhill

            ________________________________

            I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still

            pronounced it with a "V".

            Elaine Summerhill

          • John
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6 6:50 PM
              >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

              If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
              Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

              The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
              Message 6 of 15 , May 7 4:16 AM
                As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

                1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
                They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

                2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
                Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
                disconnected from the ethnicity.

                Bill

                Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

                On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                Bill

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 15 , May 7 9:30 AM
                  John,
                  The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
                  1. His father’s name is Stefan
                  2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
                  3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

                  The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.