Re: [S-R] Given Name Waszyli in English

    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2011
      That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
      I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
      Charles.

      On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
      > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
      > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
      >

      > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
      >> Slovak for William is Viliam.

    • John Magyari
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2011
        Thanks,

        The name I am trying to connect to is a William Charles Schupra and I
        found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match
        based on several pieces of info, the first name helps.

        john

        On 5/6/2011 11:38 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

        > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
        > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
        >
        > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
        > > Slovak for William is Viliam.

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2011
          John,
          Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it is a “for sure”.

          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2011
            Now you've really got my head spinning. Time to punch out! Happy Friday
            everyone!
            Bill

            n Fri, May 6, 2011 4:09 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
            > John,
            > Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is
            > from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the
            > write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it
            > is a “for sure”.

            Bill
          • Elaine Summerhill
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2011
              I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still
              pronounced it with a "V".

              Elaine Summerhill

              ________________________________

              That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
              I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
              Charles.

              On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
              > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
              > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
              >

              > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
              >> Slovak for William is Viliam.
              >>

              >> Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?
              >>
              >> If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for
              >> William?
              >>
              >> thanks,
              >> john

            • Elaine Summerhill
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                Forgot to add..... All of us called him "Charlie".

                Elaine Summerhill

                ________________________________

                I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still

                pronounced it with a "V".

                Elaine Summerhill

              • John
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                  >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

                  If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
                  Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

                  The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                    As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

                    1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
                    They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

                    2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
                    Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
                    disconnected from the ethnicity.

                    Bill

                    Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                    reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

                    On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                    > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                    Bill

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                      John,
                      The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
                      1. His father’s name is Stefan
                      2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
                      3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

                      The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.