Re: [S-R] Given Name Waszyli in English

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6 11:28 AM
      VASILIY m Russian
      Russian form of BASIL (1)

      From: John Magyari
      Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 10:55 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Given Name Waszyli in English

      Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?

      If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for William?

      thanks,
      john

      Message 2 of 15 , May 6 11:38 AM
        Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
        reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

        On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
        > Slovak for William is Viliam.

        Bill
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6 11:50 AM
          That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
          I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
          Charles.

          On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
          > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
          > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
          >
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
          >

          > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
          >> Slovak for William is Viliam.

        • John Magyari
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6 12:38 PM
            Thanks,

            The name I am trying to connect to is a William Charles Schupra and I
            found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match
            based on several pieces of info, the first name helps.

            john

            On 5/6/2011 11:38 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

            > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
            > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
            >
            > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
            > > Slovak for William is Viliam.

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6 1:09 PM
              John,
              Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it is a “for sure”.

              Message 6 of 15 , May 6 1:57 PM
                Now you've really got my head spinning. Time to punch out! Happy Friday
                everyone!
                Bill

                n Fri, May 6, 2011 4:09 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                > John,
                > Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is
                > from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the
                > write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it
                > is a “for sure”.

                Bill
              • Elaine Summerhill
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6 6:29 PM
                  I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still
                  pronounced it with a "V".

                  Elaine Summerhill

                  ________________________________

                  That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
                  I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
                  Charles.

                  On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
                  > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                  > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
                  >

                  > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                  >> Slovak for William is Viliam.
                  >>

                  >> Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?
                  >>
                  >> If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for
                  >> William?
                  >>
                  >> thanks,
                  >> john

                • Elaine Summerhill
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6 6:31 PM
                    Forgot to add..... All of us called him "Charlie".

                    Elaine Summerhill

                    ________________________________

                    I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still

                    pronounced it with a "V".

                    Elaine Summerhill

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6 6:50 PM
                      >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

                      If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
                      Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

                      The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 7 4:16 AM
                        As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

                        1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
                        They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

                        2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
                        Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
                        disconnected from the ethnicity.

                        Bill

                        Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                        reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

                        On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                        > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                        Bill

                      • Michael Mojher
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 7 9:30 AM
                          John,
                          The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
                          1. His father’s name is Stefan
                          2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
                          3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

                          The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.