Re: [S-R] Given Name Waszyli in English

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 15 , May 6, 2011
      Slovak for William is Viliam.

      From: John Magyari
      Sent: Friday, May 06, 2011 10:55 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [S-R] Given Name Waszyli in English

      Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?

      If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for William?

      thanks,
      john

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 15 , May 6, 2011
        VASILIY m Russian
        Russian form of BASIL (1)

        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2011
          Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
          reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

          On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
          > Slovak for William is Viliam.

          Bill
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2011
            That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
            I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
            Charles.

            On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
            > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
            > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
            >
            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
            >

            > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
            >> Slovak for William is Viliam.

          • John Magyari
            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2011
              Thanks,

              The name I am trying to connect to is a William Charles Schupra and I
              found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match
              based on several pieces of info, the first name helps.

              john

              On 5/6/2011 11:38 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

              > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
              > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
              >
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
              >
              > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
              > > Slovak for William is Viliam.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                John,
                Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it is a “for sure”.

                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                  Now you've really got my head spinning. Time to punch out! Happy Friday
                  everyone!
                  Bill

                  n Fri, May 6, 2011 4:09 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                  > John,
                  > Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is
                  > from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the
                  > write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it
                  > is a “for sure”.

                  Bill
                • Elaine Summerhill
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                    I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still
                    pronounced it with a "V".

                    Elaine Summerhill

                    ________________________________

                    That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
                    I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
                    Charles.

                    On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
                    > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                    > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
                    >

                    > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                    >> Slovak for William is Viliam.
                    >>

                    >> Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?
                    >>
                    >> If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for
                    >> William?
                    >>
                    >> thanks,
                    >> john

                  • Elaine Summerhill
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                      Forgot to add..... All of us called him "Charlie".

                      Elaine Summerhill

                      ________________________________

                      I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still

                      pronounced it with a "V".

                      Elaine Summerhill

                    • John
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                        >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

                        If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
                        Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

                        The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                          As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

                          1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
                          They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

                          2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
                          Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
                          disconnected from the ethnicity.

                          Bill

                          Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                          reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

                          On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                          > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                          Bill

                        • Michael Mojher
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                            John,
                            The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
                            1. His father’s name is Stefan
                            2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
                            3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

                            The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.